Self-Published Music Teachers vs Unpublished

Jayson

Unpublished doesn't mean you aren't good - but there will be some haters - and especially I suppose if the social media following is low - the social media following is high - but not interaction with the social media posts, book etc..

Anyway, the problem with unpublished authors of music or anything - or perhaps an internet teacher with no published books (We could expand this idea to indie label bands vs those who signed.) - is the poseur and/or slacker image.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I am unpublished for sure, but have created numerous warm up and methods ideas that I use in my program. Mine are what I call "the best of the best" of many of the books out there...but not direct copies. The "best of what works for my situation" is probably more correct. My students/programs success speaks for my methods.

all being published means is that you went through the steps to go to that level. There is a TON of published crap out there...published has no bearing on teaching quality. I think the end result is your students involvement in the activity.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I studied with a published teacher. His name is Ted MacKenzie. Ever heard of him? Didn't think so.

He expanded on and published the latest edition of 'Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Snare Drum Rudiments', originally written by Henry Adler. Ever heard of him? Possibly, but my guess is no.

Having written a book doesn't mean anything. People can write books but have horrible teaching skills, and visa-versa.

Ted is a fantastic drummer and teacher BTW.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

...and anymore, with the internet, anyone can "publish" a book, just like anyone can "release an album". For what it is worth, everyone has no-filtered access to the public now, and that shows in many ways....often many bad, bad ways.

Jayson

...and anymore, with the internet, anyone can "publish" a book, just like anyone can "release an album". For what it is worth, everyone has no-filtered access to the public now, and that shows in many ways....often many bad, bad ways.
What's bad simply isn't liked.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I published "peer-reviewed" stuff-everything from lobster olfaction, to chick great artery development and congenital defects, cancer, and cell signaling in smooth muscle-30 papers which isn't that many in the great scheme of things but I quit in my prime to be Mr Mom. The last was in 2000 and since 1,333 citations of my work. Woop tee doo. So probably a few thousand reads and cited in journals that few people will read. Obscurity except for a few who note it. I'm history now as the process has continued. But my work has been a stepping stone for others to follow and has served some purpose so what more can I ask. As long as it gets out and others benefit I'm good with it. Since the 80s I've done these exercises from a book by "Harry Wong"( I kid you not).. Anyways it's called" Dynamic tension" (similar to Tai chi) and I bet he sold few issues. But I still do many of those exercises everyday if not every other-so it has served me well, Kudos to Harry. It's all good when it's all good. A lot of people will attest to a drum book similarly serving them well for decades.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

What's bad simply isn't liked.
not necessarily...my students come to me with awful stuff that has a million views and likes...I always have to tell them to make sure that they question the content, and check it against what they know is good, or acceptable in our "world". But I tell them to do this with all of their sources, including me.