Selecting My Pearl Music City Custom Snare Drum: Resolved

incrementalg

Gold Member
Another vote for Walnut. It’s warm, punchy and articulate with body too. Not a lot of overtones either..very direct sounding drum. I couldn’t ask for anything more from a wood shell snare.

C.M. Jones

I personally would have to play both size by side.
Why not order both and keep the one you like best?
That's an option but also something of a burden. There's always a risk, albeit minimal, that one would get damaged and I'd have complications returning it. Even more dangerous is that I might decide to keep both, even though I liked one more than the other. I think I'm better off ordering just one and moving on with business.

C.M. Jones

I got a Starclassic Walnut Birch. If I had to describe walnut in one word (I think? lol) it's: pre-mixed.

Toms sound like they're on a record, out the gate. I can't imagine the snare being much different.
That account applies to my birch/African mahogany Session Studio Select shells as well. Engineers with whom I record marvel at how little EQ (if any) my drums require. Their tone is rich and warm but also ultra-clean. They tune up with ease and remain that way without much intervention. It's the easiest kit to maintain I've ever owned.

C.M. Jones

It sounds like you're leaning toward the walnut snare, but aren't yet sure. So to help you make up your mind, I'm going to resort to subliminal messaging.

(walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut)
Ha! Instead of counting sheep tonight, I'll be tallying an endless procession of walnut snares.

JaysonJeanChannel

The Walnut is my pick, but dang the very low - low tuning really caught my ears! I just love the way it sounds on it!

LittleLegs

Experience convinces me that your above claim is accurate, but longing persuades me that my upcoming purchase is about a great deal more than sound.
Never listen to the sound files again - they can’t help you. Would you really buy the drum that sounds better if it looks worse? Brand allegiance is so much about emotion not logic - and the significance of this drum might be way bigger than brand allegiance. So give in to emotion! Which drum makes you want to turn the lights down low and get the massage oil out! (That might violate the warranty though, so maybe check first?)

Last edited: