Segmented stave drum made in Colorado. Designed by two sessions drummers and a big tall bowl maker.

jimkelsey

We wanted to get peoples' opinions. It's a 14 x 8 made of maple sapwood, recovered cherry and bloodwood.

114mm tube lugs, 30 wire snare, Gibraltar hoops. 3/4" thick shell with Power Stroke top head and standard snare head.

Minimal tuning so far. Sounds fat and crisp. I want to try an EC2 head on it. Plus, there is no blow hole. I get the
shakes every time I need to drill holes into this thing.

Attachments

• Snare Drum Resized.jpg
    Snare Drum Resized.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 37

timmdrum

Silver Member
Curious to hear this one. My old Pearl 6.5x14 brass free floater had no vent. I liked the sound of the drum- had all the qualities I love with brass- except there was too much of it. It resonated with too long and too much of a bell-like quality alongside the head resonance.

Al Strange

We wanted to get peoples' opinions. It's a 14 x 8 made of maple sapwood, recovered cherry and bloodwood.

114mm tube lugs, 30 wire snare, Gibraltar hoops. 3/4" thick shell with Power Stroke top head and standard snare head.

Minimal tuning so far. Sounds fat and crisp. I want to try an EC2 head on it. Plus, there is no blow hole. I get the
shakes every time I need to drill holes into this thing.
Looks beautiful mate! :D (y)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Looks like segmented construction, not stave. Regardless it's a lovely drum.

roncadillac

You mentioned it not having a vent hole and that you were going to try an ec2 (2ply head with sustain control). I could see that quickly turning that drum into either a wet cardboard box sound or a basket ball sound, depending on high or low tuning. Why not try something like the Genera Dry (or if you insist on 2 ply the HD Dry)? This will give you overtone control and really "tighten up" your sound akin to the ec2 but will still have some "life to the sound". In addition, the vent hole in the dry model heads will help to release a small amount of air from the shell that the vent hole normally would.

Last edited:

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Interesting.
What woods are you using: Walnut, Birdseye Maple, Padauk (or Rosewood)?
Overall thickness of the shell?
Bearing edges specs?

jimkelsey

Interesting.
What woods are you using: Walnut, Birdseye Maple, Padauk (or Rosewood)?
Overall thickness of the shell?
Bearing edges specs?
We used cherry for the parts other than the feature ring. The feature ring is maple sapwood and African bloodwood. The shell is .80 inches thick. It started as 1" thick and then became .80 when we turned it down. We didn't have a precise way to figure out how much the lathe would take off.

The bearing edge has a 45 degree bevel. We appreciate your interest and any input on tuning, etc.

jimkelsey

You mentioned it not having a vent hole and that you were going to try an ec2 (2ply head with sustain control). I could see that quickly turning that drum into either a wet cardboard box sound or a basket ball sound, depending on high or low tuning. Why not try something like the Genera Dry (or if you insist on 2 ply the HD Dry? This will give you overtone control and really "tighten up" your sound akin to the ec2 but will still have some "life to the sound". In addition, the vent hole in the dry model heads will help to release a small amount of air from the shell that the vent hole normally would.
I will try that. Admittedly, I have been playing forever, but am not well versed in heads. When we were kids everything was black dot with a gym sock stuffed under the edge, so now I am completing that part of my education. Thank you.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Did you have to build the ring separately since it has different angles in it?

I zoomed way in and it's quite impressive. Didnt notice the bloodwood segments are half the thickness at first either. Whomever built this does fantastic work.

IBitePrettyHard

Wow, the craftsmanship! That must've taken ages to make. It would be interesting to hear how it sounds. Possibly a Youtube video? :)

3/4" is pretty darn thick for a shell. If you have any trouble getting a good sound, you could try milling it closer to 1/2" or even 3/8", maybe just in the center area, and leave the upper and lower parts unlathed like a re-ring. Not saying you should do that, just throwing that out there.

Awesome drum!

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
On my 8" X 14" segmented SOTA Padauk I've had great luck with the Evans Genera for the batter head, but it currently has die cast hoops top and bottom to help dry it out. On more and more of my snares I'm moving to the Aquarian Texture Coated Studio X head. If it needs any additional dampening I just throw on a Snareweight M1B.

jimkelsey

Did you have to build the ring separately since it has different angles in it?

I zoomed way in and it's quite impressive. Didnt notice the bloodwood segments are half the thickness at first either. Whomever built this does fantastic work.
My friend did the awesome wood turning. I did the hardware selection and mounting. Another drummer who toured help figure out the
break in and tuning. I am blessed with skilled compadres. Thanks for the input.

The feature ring is his signature. He doesn't talk a whole lot about how those rings were made ha ha ha.

jimkelsey

Wow, the craftsmanship! That must've taken ages to make. It would be interesting to hear how it sounds. Possibly a Youtube video? :)

3/4" is pretty darn thick for a shell. If you have any trouble getting a good sound, you could try milling it closer to 1/2" or even 3/8", maybe just in the center area, and leave the upper and lower parts unlathed like a re-ring. Not saying you should do that, just throwing that out there.

Awesome drum!
If you notice, the feature ring is 1/4" thinner than the shell. This gave me fits because I had to find tube lugs that would span the feature ring. Also, because of the shell thickness, none of the supplied machine screws fit (nobody's fault,) so a lot of that had to be made because the machine screws, if too short, don't hold the tube lugs and if too long, bottom out inside the tube lug, so I got the job of cutting the machine screws to size and then cleaning them up with a tap and die set.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. This is not yard art. We plan to play the you-know-what out of it!!! It withstood 90psi according to a Tama tension tuner. No desire to test higher tunings yet, especially until we try some other heads like one poster suggested.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
there is no blow hole.
If there is no vent whatsoever, you risk tuning inconsistency in temperature changes (i.e. taking the drum out of the case into a warmer environment than stored / transported), even concave resonant head (i.e. no wire engagement).

You don't need a vent as such, but you do need a small hole to allow for air temperature / pressure variations. Drilling a 1.5mm (1/16th) hole behind the strainer is sufficient.