Dick Cully

I had made a joke about the Fembots from Austin Powers, but it seems to have been deleted. As to why, I have no idea. I can only guess someone has never seen the movie and had no context from which to extrapolate that it was a joke.

I can only surmise that DW has now also fallen into the hands of the virtue signaling social justice warrior who will take things out of context in order to be offended and subsequently complain vehemently.
Guess it's time for me to exit this lovely forum as I can't abide by a simple joke being taken that far out of context.
Good day gentlemen, I wish you all well walking on eggshells.
Wait, not so fast there pilgrim! Methinks that the mods are only trying to prevent lewd and lascivious interactions and perhaps misinterpreted something.? It’s a fine line so don’t rush to judgment and let’s see how it plays out. Just hang in there for a minute

I agree with Bo's observation. My concern was with the general public (non musician's) treatment of music patronization after the impresssion that's given off by any remaining torchbearers.
One only need to look at the repution that "long haired" music got in the past, the elitism associated with classical music.

Last edited:
The thing I hate to see is all the drums going electronic. The drum set is such a wonderful instrument for people to learn, it really trains your coordination and rhythm and feel.

I agree PushPull I don't even classify electronic as real drums. Not that I'm averse to using them nor think they sound bad-just a technicality. It's a electronic/digitized sound module playing a synthesized samples sounds- configured like a drum. It's NOT the real thing. Like I could order one fo those synthetic female toys with working parts but I'd rather have the real thing. There's nothing like the real thing.

Not quite old enough for that label. Close, but not quite.
Thought you were leaving mate? ?

But yeah, I get what you're saying. Comments like yours are deleted while disparaging comments about e-drums are par for the course (sorry, just jumping on the outrage bandwagon) ?‍♂️

My experience with many hardcore jazz musicians is that the “dark cloud” is always present. I know because I traveled down this path with them. I’ve met a few of those jazz artists that played a lot of those records coming out of LA in the 60s and I think it just starts with sarcasm and dry humor, and it becomes a way of life. I’ve noticed that because they’ve studied “jazz”, a bit of the “genius” snobbery comes forth and all of a sudden they’re surprised by nothing and can’t get excited about anything because they’re beyond the mere mortals playing non-art music in the dance clubs for mere money.
I've noticed that as well. My first instructor was one of those jazz-holes.
You can encounter those types in any musical style, I try to just look past it and ignore their quirks. In fact, I'll admit I've got sort of the same thing going on with electronic music and current studio techniques that require less than stellar playing because technology will "fix it" anyways.

I'm very aware that to be politically correct and hip these days, I should regard basement dwellers that cut and paste little audio snippets into grids and tap some beats only to quantize them into something robotic, as equal to anything played in the past by real musicians, but I just can't. That's my irritating "quirk" and believe me...I've had plenty of high octane discussions about it, but I just can't seem to get rid of it.

So if older people get sad because something they truly loved is no longer...I tend to forgive them for it, as I hope many a electronic wizard or pro tools guru can do the same for me.

That being said...the way mr. Cully goes about voicing his misgivings, leaves a lot to be desired

We write disparaging comments about everything - I thought that was par. Poor Lars can’t no respect here. I’ve had lots of comments deleted or a profane video deleted which was a double bogey. I have a good drive but it’s the short game chipping and putting away with arguments that wins the day. Beware sand traps and water holes- they will eat your balls or cost you a stroke.

Thought you were leaving mate? ?

But yeah, I get what you're saying. Comments like yours are deleted while disparaging comments about e-drums are par for the course (sorry, just jumping on the outrage bandwagon) ?‍♂️

In all honesty, I was talking about drum loops and such, not e-drums. The only thing that truly bothers me about e-drums is the lack of the ability to do a buzz roll on the snare.

In all honesty, I was talking about drum loops and such, not e-drums. The only thing that truly bothers me about e-drums is the lack of the ability to do a buzz roll on the snare.
Fair enough, I'll save my outrage for another day ;)

We write disparaging comments about everything - I thought that was par. Poor Lars can’t no respect here.
When I was 15 I definitely would have gone off the rails if you DARED disrespect Lars. I've matured (slightly) since then thankfully ?

It looks like another attempt to make Jazz white again. I particularly like how "The Confederate Army on the March" is at the top of his favorites playlist. When are these confederacy-loving turds gonna die off?

It looks like another attempt to make Jazz white again. I particularly like how "The Confederate Army on the March" is at the top of his favorites playlist. When are these confederacy-loving turds gonna die off?

I mean, I didn't want to outright say it, but I definitely was feeling those vibes with everything. That white, war-time era swing that he so loves I always found milquetoast compared to the stuff that Count Basie and Duke Ellington were doing at that time, and even earlier. That and the super-patriotic vibes just rubbed me the wrong way I guess, but I didn't want to outright judge this guy. Reading his rants on his youtube video descriptions paints him in a different camp than I originally thought he was in (I won't go into more because of Drummerworld rules, but you can read for yourself if you're curious).

It's also one thing to like that style of swing, that's stuff my Granddad loves and he was a legit big band leader in the 40's/early 50's. But pushing that as the main part of his attempted after school program seems very narrowly focused when looking broadly, and maybe a bit nefarious if looking at a deeper, more sensitive lens.

I agree that Dick Cully is a sad case. He obviously has attitude problems. I remember reading an interview with Joe Morello many years ago, in which he sais that many drummers had spent their lives trying to copy Buddy Rich, but they all ended up in his shadow. I can think of Charley Antolini, Roy Burns, Butch Miles and Donny Osbourne - all excellent players, but no match for Buddy. I think Dick Cully comes closest. He not only wants to copy Buddy's playing; he wants to get the same recognition and is bitter that it hasn't come. He is foolish to criticise the audience which has turned out for him. When Buddy first toured England in 1966 his first concerts were largely empty; he wasn't well known. By the end of the tour they were sold out. He said that if there were only one person in the audience, he would play his very best for them. It's a pity that Dick Cully doesn't copy that attitrude. He must have spent hundreds of hours practising to reach the standard that he has. He should be proud of that, but he's not the world's greatest drummer, if there is such a thing, and he should accept that his talents don't draw a wide audience today. It's been said that Jazz musicians know a thousand chords and attract an audienc of three, whereas rock musicians know three chords and attract an audience of thousands. De gustibus non est disputandum.

I agree that Dick Cully is a sad case. He obviously has attitude problems. I remember reading an interview with Joe Morello many years ago, in which he sais that many drummers had spent their lives trying to copy Buddy Rich, but they all ended up in his shadow. I can think of Charley Antolini, Roy Burns, Butch Miles and Donny Osbourne - all excellent players, but no match for Buddy. I think Dick Cully comes closest. He not only wants to copy Buddy's playing; he wants to get the same recognition and is bitter that it hasn't come. He is foolish to criticise the audience which has turned out for him. When Buddy first toured England in 1966 his first concerts were largely empty; he wasn't well known. By the end of the tour they were sold out. He said that if there were only one person in the audience, he would play his very best for them. It's a pity that Dick Cully doesn't copy that attitrude. He must have spent hundreds of hours practising to reach the standard that he has. He should be proud of that, but he's not the world's greatest drummer, if there is such a thing, and he should accept that his talents don't draw a wide audience today. It's been said that Jazz musicians know a thousand chords and attract an audienc of three, whereas rock musicians know three chords and attract an audience of thousands. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Dick really is a heck of a player, his hands are pretty much the equal of Buddy’s, but he just lacks that excitement and fire that Buddy had. The thing that so many players have had to accept over the years (and human beings in general) is that you can be right, or you can be happy. At least in terms of his music career, Dick has chosen to be right. So did I, for many years, and I was very bitter about the industry and how poorly-prepared I was for the ridiculously cutthroat, merciless, hyper-competitive audition world, and the music business in general. I’m softening now, as I get older and am having some success in an unrelated career, but I was pretty bitter for a looong time.

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" — she always called me Elwood — "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
— Elwood P. Dowd

I’m not comfortable with the premise of this thread; this isn’t your average introductory thread on the forum... I’ve seen a couple of profanity strewn videos by Dick and have to say I’m concerned about his state of mind? :unsure: Not having a go, it just seems a bit unnecessary to poke fun at and belittle a fellow drummer who appears to be struggling with his life situation. On that basis I won’t play...

Well said, Al

Back