Dick Cully

"I want to complain about a video YT recommended to me but no one on my instafacetweet cares so I am going to complain to drummers because the guy in the video is one!"
That's my version of the story and I'm sticking to it! ?
@someguy01 i 100% agree. And... the OP has about 5 posts here. Trolling

He had his own big band which I like keeping that alive. Almost all early tv highly influenced by vaudeville, which I hope someone is keeping that alive too.

I'd love to play in a modern big band, but I also realize it's one of those things where we'd be lucky if we gigged a few times a year. I'd be fine with that.

Jazz in general has actually had a boost in popularity over the past 10 years, and a lot of younger demographics are really digging it. The thing about jazz is that it is evolving (as jazz, at its core, should), incorporating modern elements such as hip-hop ideas and grooves into its vocabulary. Pre-covid I'd watch youtube channels like Adam Neely and they'd go on tours playing jazz in front of pretty awesome crowds. And while none of them were proper 'big bands' some of these groups had decent hornlines. Even though it's still niche, it is viable. And you can get high school kids jazzed up (heh) on it through these modern interpretations.

But you're not going to get that playing Glenn Miller.

I'd love to play in a modern big band, but I also realize it's one of those things where we'd be lucky if we gigged a few times a year. I'd be fine with that.

Jazz in general has actually had a boost in popularity over the past 10 years, and a lot of younger demographics are really digging it. The thing about jazz is that it is evolving (as jazz, at its core, should), incorporating modern elements such as hip-hop ideas and grooves into its vocabulary. Pre-covid I'd watch youtube channels like Adam Neely and they'd go on tours playing jazz in front of pretty awesome crowds. And while none of them were proper 'big bands' some of these groups had decent hornlines. Even though it's still niche, it is viable. And you can get high school kids jazzed up (heh) on it through these modern interpretations.

I got into Glenn Miller when I was young (alongside punk, disco and reggae) because it was evocative, timeless and ... great music!

I got into Glenn Miller when I was young (alongside punk, disco and reggae) because it was evocative, timeless and ... great music!
Some pretty familiar rock stars have strayed into this arena, including DLR of Van Halen fame. I saw him in concert circa 1985 and he was pretty awesome.

The thing I hate to see is all the drums going electronic. The drum set is such a wonderful instrument for people to learn, it really trains your coordination and rhythm and feel.

The thing I hate to see is all the drums going electronic. The drum set is such a wonderful instrument for people to learn, it really trains your coordination and rhythm and feel.
I agree PushPull I don't even classify electronic as real drums. Not that I'm averse to using them nor think they sound bad-just a technicality. It's a electronic/digitized sound module playing a synthesized samples sounds- configured like a drum. It's NOT the real thing. Like I could order one fo those synthetic female toys with working parts but I'd rather have the real thing. There's nothing like the real thing. See

Really a shame he gave off a negative vibe right of the bat.

The last thing any dying art form needs esp. one that's a national treasure like the American song book of the war years and big band swing music in general is to be associated with any sort of negativity to alienate it into oblivion.

Really a shame he gave off a negative vibe right of the bat.

The last thing any dying art form needs esp. one that's a national treasure like the American song book of the war years and big band swing music in general is to be associated with any sort of negativity to alienate it into oblivion.
My experience with many hardcore jazz musicians is that the “dark cloud” is always present. I know because I traveled down this path with them. I’ve met a few of those jazz artists that played a lot of those records coming out of LA in the 60s and I think it just starts with sarcasm and dry humor, and it becomes a way of life. I’ve noticed that because they’ve studied “jazz”, a bit of the “genius” snobbery comes forth and all of a sudden they’re surprised by nothing and can’t get excited about anything because they’re beyond the mere mortals playing non-art music in the dance clubs for mere money.

Dick is a bit of a legend

an ornery old codger but a fine player.
Just another Buddy clone.
There are thousands of them.

I had some interaction with him down in Florida around 2009 while doing some research for a project

He was less than pleasant but I got what I needed

I think perhaps he missed the robot context. Or, thinks its a misogynistic joke about women only being good for making sandwiches; which did need to die in the 50s. No woman I've ever dated, including my wife, could cook worth a damn. Most of them would burn water. I, however, am silly good in the kitchen.

I think perhaps he missed the robot context. Or, thinks its a misogynistic joke about women only being good for making sandwiches; which did need to die in the 50s. No woman I've ever dated, including my wife, could cook worth a damn. Most of them would burn water. I, however, am silly good in the kitchen.
What "robot context" are you referring to?

Nothing against Bobby Darrin but
True. And they make a terrible sandwich.
i didn’t know you could eat them? :ROFLMAO:

I had made a joke about the Fembots from Austin Powers, but it seems to have been deleted. As to why, I have no idea. I can only guess someone has never seen the movie and had no context from which to extrapolate that it was a joke.

I can only surmise that DW has now also fallen into the hands of the virtue signaling social justice warrior who will take things out of context in order to be offended and subsequently complain vehemently.
Guess it's time for me to exit this lovely forum as I can't abide by a simple joke being taken that far out of context.
Good day gentlemen, I wish you all well walking on eggshells.

Last edited:
Back