SEEKING INFO - Who tf is DICK CULLY? (bitter, twisted old Buddy Rich sycophant on YouTube)

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" — she always called me Elwood — "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
— Elwood P. Dowd

Juniper

Gold Member
I’m not comfortable with the premise of this thread; this isn’t your average introductory thread on the forum... I’ve seen a couple of profanity strewn videos by Dick and have to say I’m concerned about his state of mind? :unsure: Not having a go, it just seems a bit unnecessary to poke fun at and belittle a fellow drummer who appears to be struggling with his life situation. On that basis I won’t play...

Well said, Al

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Well said, Al

I think Dick’s a little old to still be getting mad that the world is changing, or that the music business is as ridiculous as it is. Chops are awesome, and he’s got GREAT hands, maybe the best buzz roll in the business. But a chopsmeister needs to be teaching lessons and making videos on YouTube, showing off those clean fast licks, to attract students and raise the level of drumming. Because I’d LOVE to see Dick break down his buzz roll into exercises, and get done SUPER-slow-mo video of his rolls. Instead, he just gets mad. *shrug*

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
You think he's thinking well Buddy Rich would get angry and throw a fit so I need too-grab some of that stardust charisma of Buddy. He should throw sticks at people in his big band and cus them for being incompetent-then play the Buddy chops. Then people would say-You know he reminds me of Buddy Rich. Maybe he should wear a gi and throw some band members across the room-show his karate chops. Then for sure he'll get the Buddy comparison. He just needs someone to help him with his image.

boomstick

Silver Member
I remember reading an interview with Joe Morello many years ago, in which he sais that many drummers had spent their lives trying to copy Buddy Rich, but they all ended up in his shadow. I can think of Charley Antolini, Roy Burns, Butch Miles and Donny Osbourne - all excellent players, but no match for Buddy.

I guess it's what you do in the shadow that counts. Roy Burns may have been lurking there, but he had a relentlessly positive attitude. You could tell he enjoyed being an educator. And then he went on to co-found Aquarian, so ultimately was probably more financially successful than Buddy.

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

This guy still gets my vote for world's greatest curmudgeon drummer. Ya gotta like anyone who says "Rudiments are the cancer of drumming." And he played a show with PiL, so he was an honorary Punk Rock drummer. Sorta.
https://www.moderndrummer.com/2014/01/drum-instructor-sam-ulano-passes/
"Ulano, who counts among his former students Tony “Thunder” Smith, Allan Schwartzberg, Marvin “Smitty” Smith, Dion Parsons, and Art Taylor, focuses on reading as a means to success. A drummer who can read music and is well versed in many styles—another Ulano focus—is more likely to work than one who performs the cleanest rudiment or has the fastest Drumometer speed."

Sounds like my kind of drummer!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
"Ulano, who counts among his former students Tony “Thunder” Smith, Allan Schwartzberg, Marvin “Smitty” Smith, Dion Parsons, and Art Taylor, focuses on reading as a means to success. A drummer who can read music and is well versed in many styles—another Ulano focus—is more likely to work than one who performs the cleanest rudiment or has the fastest Drumometer speed."

Sounds like my kind of drummer!
You mean not everybody reads? Huh?