Seeking Advice On Song To Learn

Wopsey

My roommate and I are looking for a song to learn and are finding a hard time finding one that fits are current-close to skill level, so to speak.

My roommate has played guitar for about a year (on and off).

I've been playing drums for about 5 years (on and off).

We're trying to find a hard rock-metal song to try and learn, but are struggling due to the fact that we both listen to heavy metal (music years out of our league) yet still want to stay within the genre.

Neither of us can really remember any of the 'lighter' rock/metal we used to appreciate and are hoping some of you more experienced musicians can recommend something catered to both our genre and skill level.

Nancy_C

I play in a hard rock/metal band that plays a lot of older "hits" from those genres, so maybe I can offer some ideas. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "lighter," so I'll just throw a few titles out and see if anything sticks. My band does all of these, and I've only been playing for three years:

Kiss, "Rock And Roll All Night"
Judas Priest, "Breaking the Law"
Motley Crüe, "Looks That Kill"
AC/DC, "Highway to Hell"
Riot, "Swords and Tequila" (this one is fun!)
S.O.D., "United Forces"

If those are too easy/light, then maybe:

Slayer, "World Painted Blood" or "Black Magic" (ok, I struggle with WPB, but it's fun as anything!)
Motörhead, "Love Me Like A Reptile"

Last edited:
M

Mike_In_KC

Neither of us can really remember any of the 'lighter' rock/metal we used to appreciate
How old are you guys? And/Or how old do your tastes date back? If you like 70's stuff I have been learning "Simple Man" by Lynard Skynard. It has a very moderate tempo and I believe a lot of the guitar parts are fairly easy - or at least that is how my buddy conveys it. For 80's stuff I think Nancy covered it. For 90's I'd suggest Weezer - both "Sweater Song" and "Say it Aint So" are pretty easy to learn.

MM

MileHighDrummer

My advice is to sit down together and listen to CD's or radio that you like. There has to be songs that you like, which will make learning them easier. Don't force yourself to learn something you're not keen on. After 5 years of playing, you must have played along with numerous songs on radio, CD or something that you enjoy playing.

coolhand1969

I play in a hard rock/metal band that plays a lot of older "hits" from those genres, so maybe I can offer some ideas. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "lighter," so I'll just throw a few titles out and see if anything sticks. My band does all of these, and I've only been playing for three years:

Kiss, "Rock And Roll All Night"
Judas Priest, "Breaking the Law"
Motley Crüe, "Looks That Kill"
AC/DC, "Highway to Hell"
Riot, "Swords and Tequila" (this one is fun!)
S.O.D., "United Forces"

If those are too easy/light, then maybe:

Slayer, "World Painted Blood" or "Black Magic" (ok, I struggle with WPB, but it's fun as anything!)
Motörhead, "Love Me Like A Reptile"
Gotta go with Priest and Breaking the Law solid suggestion!

I CANNOT STAND KISS, especially after their pubescent antics at the Hall of Fame

Highway to Hell is Good, so are these AC/Songs: 74 Jailbreak / Night Prowler / Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution/ Bedlam in Belgium

Heartbreaker by the Stones

GnR - Dust and Bones and I had to kill her

Good Luck!!!