Section to discuss drum recording?

doggyd69b

I was thinking about the technical aspects of miking and recording, setting up a recording space, using a DAW, etc. I agree that stuff about technique, and tuning for that matter, is already covered.
At some point someone has talked about recording and miking, but having a dedicated section/sections would be great. Now for those that don't know anything about a subject sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words then a video (YouTube) must be worth a thousand pictures.... There are a lot of tutorials on anything on YouTube, I have learned many things from woodworking, to guitar playing, to riding a motorcycle to hooking up an RV trailer properly, to building a fence and tons of other projects. YT is not just a time waster... I made over $55k when i sold my last house just from stuff I learned from YouTube....

Mastiff

Yup, there is a ton of info on youtube and elsewhere about recording. Of course, most other topics covered on this forum are also covered somewhere online. When it comes to recording in particular, there is almost too much info to wade through, and an incredible amount of jargon and assumptions of prior knowledge. It can be abused, but forums allow you to get a personalized answer to your specific question.

doggyd69b

In my particular case, I looked for info on how to add VSTs and such, it took many hrs of looking through forums to find very little. a couple of YT videos taught me a lot more in a very short time, but maybe if a proper sequence of events is followed and as you said there are no assumptions of prior knowledge then it can become a great resource for everyone. I also had to wade through tons of bad videos before finding what I needed. I might start making simple short videos on how to record electronic drums. I might make it a series.... No one wants to sit through a long video unless it has a gorgeous girl or something (A-yeon comes to mind).

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Seems simpler to create a dedicated thread-for ease of visitors and administrators. Anything recording related-post it here. Problem solved. LOL

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Maybe a post about recording nomenclature for all the naive folks new to this. I think some folks maybe shy of their ignorance. I ain’t one them and I don’t know what the heck people are talking about so a little clarity would be nice.

rhumbagirl

I just went to the "Drum Gear - Recording - Mixing" forum and found unrelated threads, eg "no wobble throne", "versatile cymbal stand", "drumset designing tools".

A dedicated forum would force us drummers to face our recording weaknesses. Create subforums for "Recording", "Mixing", "Live Sound", "Special Effects".

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I just went to the "Drum Gear - Recording - Mixing" forum and found unrelated threads, eg "no wobble throne", "versatile cymbal stand", "drumset designing tools".

A dedicated forum would force us drummers to face our recording weaknesses. Create subforums for "Recording", "Mixing", "Live Sound", "Special Effects".
Yes but its also sharing the Other Gear section. Mixing and recording equipment is in fact Other Gear.

There is also the main body of the Drum Gear section below the sub forums that is a catch-all. Perhaps, if everyone gets on the same page, that can be the Other Gear section by default, where questions that don't fit Drums, Pedals, Cymbals, Electronic Drums, Heads and Sticks, or Recording-Mixing.

Not everyone pays attention to the tabs. Folks like to post playing videos in General Discussion, gear questions in the Technique section, so on and so forth.

felonious69

Maybe a post about recording nomenclature for all the naive folks new to this. I think some folks maybe shy of their ignorance. I ain’t one them and I don’t know what the heck people are talking about so a little clarity would be nice.
Yup...and what stuff is called too...
(I had to look up the balanced and unbalanced ins and outs and such and such)

rhumbagirl

Not everyone pays attention to the tabs.
Is that because the tabs are too general? "Other Gear" doesn't really apply any longer in today's online world, where more and more musicians are collaborating and sharing via the web. As more and more drummers choose to self-record, it's no longer considered 'other'. A dedicated subforum would allow someone to see what are the hot topics within a certain technical area. It would also entice the experts within our midst to have one place to go hash out ideas, or even rule in their domain.

The new paradigm is different than it was just a decade ago. Or even just a year ago, before the pandemic hit. And I don't see how this impacts the moderators here. They still can see new posts from the "What's New" filter.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
"Other Gear" doesn't really apply any longer in today's online world, where more and more musicians are collaborating and sharing via the web.
It does apply. Where do stands, racks, thrones, cowbells, chimes, woodblocks, tabla, conga, clamps, agogo bells, steel drums, carpet, damping, bongos, vibra-slap, xylophones, marimba, glockenspiel, and piano discussions go? Every single one of those items is a percussion instrument or related item without a section. Hence "Other Gear".

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Oops, I meant in the context of where "Recording drums" fits in. Sorry :rolleyes:
Oh, haha, gotcha.

That's why I think maybe the threads under the sub forums in the Drum Gear section should just be a catch all, and Mixing - Recording tab just be that now.

All the questions about the stuff I listed above just go at the bottom. That would make sense, I think. Or maybe I don't make sense lol.

felonious69

As I am fairly new here:
There are 7 main categories. General, Drummers...
In those categories, there are tens of thousands of threads.
I have lucked out in searching a fairly specific question, but not often.
I have also seen threads that caught my interest...and the last post was in 08 or so, profiles I had never seen, and I felt like I shouldn't add/ask.

felonious69

I have never recorded...never even touched recording equipment. I am not a computer wiz by any stretch. AND I am not a gamer.
When I started with my new PreSonus...the registering/downloading and installing...Last night, and this morning, and this afternoon...
Yup, I am gonna need a thread and a lot more!