Secret benefit to poorly responding hi hat pedals with low end kits

Frank

Gold Member
So - there is a secret benefit to poorly responding hi hat pedals with low end kits. :) Aerobic activity while practicing.

I am a long time drummer, but new to having a full ekit. In another thread, I shared what I discovered, later to learn it is a common attribute of the low end kits - the hi hat pedal responds poorly. Specifically with mine, to get the hats to open, you need to pretty much lift all the way off the pedal. There is no open with a small lift.

I avoided practicing songs that had frequent opens, but today, I decided to surrender and just - get used to This kit. Didn't take long before my opens were tracking 100% of the time. Then I played a Killers song that has sections that are basically disco beats - with frequent opens. After I played that song, I was out of breath, and realized I just got a good aerobic workout with my feet moving significantly. ;)

There ya go.

Interesting observation. On my old Alesis nitro mesh and my current alesis crimson 2 (they have the same hi hat pedal) I don't really notice the issue that many people report regarding low end ekit hi hat pedal responsiveness (or lack there of). They certainly aren't as fluid as a 'real' hi hat stand and pedal but they are useable for sure. The only difference I noticed is I have to be a bit more deliberate when opening/closing the ekit hi hats but I don't mind. I actually found that after extended periods of playing my ekit when I switch back to acoustic drums the hi hat is almost too 'free' and I have to revisit my technique on acoustic hi hats despite twenty plus years behind acoustic kits.

So - there is a secret benefit to poorly responding hi hat pedals with low end kits. :) Aerobic activity while practicing.

I am a long time drummer, but new to having a full ekit. In another thread, I shared what I discovered, later to learn it is a common attribute of the low end kits - the hi hat pedal responds poorly. Specifically with mine, to get the hats to open, you need to pretty much lift all the way off the pedal. There is no open with a small lift.

I avoided practicing songs that had frequent opens, but today, I decided to surrender and just - get used to This kit. Didn't take long before my opens were tracking 100% of the time. Then I played a Killers song that has sections that are basically disco beats - with frequent opens. After I played that song, I was out of breath, and realized I just got a good aerobic workout with my feet moving significantly. ;)

There ya go.
somebody told me

Very good point haha.

Also the obvious, sound guys love being able to control individual parameters on the e-kits!

Back