Second time Drum buyer = Holy cow what a deal!

NYDRUMMA

So earlier this week I posted about having a bad experience buying my first drumset, well actually it was my daughters. Well today more than made up for it.

So for work I was out near the Utica, NY area (I am from the niagara falls area 250 miles away) and decided what the heck lets check craigslist for a set here and see what I can find.

I find this unassuming post:

http://utica.craigslist.org/msg/1766277732.html

No brand name but I see what he says he paid for them and figured I'd contact him about the set because it included cymbals and hardware.

What ended up happening next was just awesome. This man was one of the nicest people i have ever met. He sends me pictures of the drumset which was a 1994 Ludwig Super Classic Maple in blue marble. It looks like this one:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2490/3871601420_34ed63ea7b.jpg

He told me he had a few other people who had expressed interest in the kit and were willing to pay more. He also said he wanted to make sure it went to the right person. So I met him and looked at the kit and was shocked at how much was in the deal.

The kit was in great shape. He hadn't even played drums in 10 years because of health they were stored for all of that time in cloth cases. The chrome was still great just a couple of problem spots.

He was also throwing in Zildjian Platinum high hats, Zildjian Avedis 16" medium thin crash. Avedis18" crash/ride and a 20" Zildjian medium ride. But wait.....there's more. All hardware and stands, a Tama tension watch, gibraltar double pedals and the bass drum has a senheiser microphone built inside.

We talked for a few hours about everything from drums to politics to my plans on building a studio/practice area for my family. By the time we were done talking he offered me everything for $1000! $200 less than in the post.

Ok and just to top it off he is an insurance salesman. I am very active outside of work so I have a disability insurance policy. His policy provides me more coverage for less money.
He then offered up stage lighting equipment and other microphones from his studio when he cleans it out in the near future.

Truly one of the nicest people I have ever met. When he sold me the kit he said he knew it was going to the right person. Someone who actually meant that, that is rare.

Right now im polishing the set and I feel like when I was 10 years old on christmas morning with a new toy. Haha

I will post pics when I finish polishing and mounting.

Congrats my friend! you are truly blessed!

I hope you enjoy your new set for many years to come!

Can't wait for pics!

-Jonathan

Wonderful story!!!!!.There are truly nice people in this world,I know sometimes its hard to find them.It apparent that you found one.I can feel your joy in your post!!..Cant wait for the pics!Happy polishing!!!!!!

Good for you!!! Great story. Please post some photos of the kit. What a great finish.

Thanks guys, I'm still polishing. The cymbals were tough and took a long time. The other problem is I tried taping over the lettering to avoid losing the logos, but when I undid the tape the difference between the shine on the rest of the cymbals bothered me so now the logos are a little faded.

The snare is polished, it does not match the set. I don't know what type of Ludwig snare it is, but it is all chrome. Tonight I will post the before pictures. I just finished the cymbals and have to do the rest of the kit.

So, is this going to be your kit or your daughter's?

Last edited:
Haha oh this one is mine lol. However, I did feel bad that she didn't get to pick hers out. She likes it but she wants something more along the lines of pink or purple, plus she has to share it. My son also is taking lessons (we all go together) so he would appreciate the first kit. Especially if it was only his.

My kit was a Roland Td-3 which served its purpose and I am about to put up on craigslist or ebay. The money I get from selling that kit will go toward building supplies for the studio in my basement.

Can't wait to see em set up. I love that finish also! Not somethin you see everyday.

Snare Looks like a 6.5 x 14 supraphonic,worth 250.00 any day,looks like little if any supra rash,If you looked up "Workhorse Snare drum "in the dictionary that would be the example.If you have favorite songs and albums from the early 60's to the early eighties I would wager there is a 70 per cent chance that was what it was recorded with.Enjoy the kit!

Snare Looks like a 6.5 x 14 supraphonic,worth 250.00 any day,looks like little if any supra rash,If you looked up "Workhorse Snare drum "in the dictionary that would be the example.If you have favorite songs and albums from the early 60's to the early eighties I would wager there is a 70 per cent chance that was what it was recorded with.Enjoy the kit!

Thanks, I found a resource online to look it up and I still couldn't quite nail down which one it was.

Back