Second jazz ride cymbal

8Mile

Platinum Member
I'm looking for some suggestions for a second jazz ride cymbal. My main ride is a 22" K-Con Medium ride. So I'm looking for a cymbal that would complement that nicely and make for a nice contrast. I'm partial to Zildjian but open to anything else, too.

I'm really interested in feedback from some of the jazzers here. I've got the low end covered with my K-Con so the natural tendency is to look for something a little brighter. I'm not sure if i'd want rivets, necessarily, but I've heard the K Custom Left Side Ride and that's pretty nice.

Bring on the suggestions.

I really like the smaller Bosphorus medium weight rides for higher, fuller sound. For a fuller sound, check the Wide Ride, or for a washy sound, check the Traditional and Masters, perhaps with rivets. It's whatever your ears like though, so just go check out a place ike cymbalsonly.com and surf for a bit. The Zildjians all have too much of the same essential musical character and similar decay for my tastes to want to have two of them in a set-up IMHO.

No jazz expert here, but if it were I'd go with something dryer. It will be some nice contrast, and 2 very different sounds.
Zildjian makes loads of awesome dry rides, as do some of the traditional turk companies like bosphorus and istanbul.

My state of mind exactly.

I've playing the KCon medium 20" ride along with the K custom special dry ride 22"

It's a wonderful combination of a sweet sticking definition of the dry ride and the warmer darker KCon tone.

Thanks for the good suggestions, guys. I'm going to try some of the sound clips for these to see if I like them.

Skulmoski, you have a couple Spizzes? I'm in awe. How did you come about them? Did you get them through Steve Maxwell? I watched a clip on YouTube of a guy visiting Roberto's little factory and picking his cymbals out by hand. WOW.

8Mile - I know the Murat Diril distributor in the US. Jim Betsios owns Offbeat Music in Lake Zurich, IL. If you're interested they may well offer something that you want. The prices are competitive and they make some really lovely cymbals. Handmade stuff - will compliment your other ride beautifully.

http://offbeatmusicstore.com/

If you give them a call, ask for Jim and say Duncan sent you.

8Mile - I know the Murat Diril distributor in the US. Jim Betsios owns Offbeat Music in Lake Zurich, IL. If you're interested they may well offer something that you want. The prices are competitive and they make some really lovely cymbals. Handmade stuff - will compliment your other ride beautifully.

http://offbeatmusicstore.com/

If you give them a call, ask for Jim and say Duncan sent you.

Thanks, MFB! I will check it out.

I'm loving Paiste Giant Beats. They scream pure J A Z Z to me. Best jazz cymbals I've ever heard with the possible exception of my '60s vintage Zildjian A rides. (If you can find one of those you won't be sorry.)

I'm looking for some suggestions for a second jazz ride cymbal. My main ride is a 22" K-Con Medium ride. So I'm looking for a cymbal that would complement that nicely and make for a nice contrast. I'm partial to Zildjian but open to anything else, too.

I'm really interested in feedback from some of the jazzers here. I've got the low end covered with my K-Con so the natural tendency is to look for something a little brighter. I'm not sure if i'd want rivets, necessarily, but I've heard the K Custom Left Side Ride and that's pretty nice.

Bring on the suggestions.

They actually have it labeled as a "left side ride"? This is a discrimination of left-handers who would use it on the right side of their kits! The injustice! That's it, I'm dumping my Zildjians...

With the obvious suggestion of the Pitch Black jazz ride notwithstanding, how 'bout a Sabian Omni? It'll be brighter and you can crash on it too. Unless of course, you found a nice Zildjian Earth Ride from the '70s - those always go good with jazz ;)

You will just have to try as many cymbals as you can. It's usually best to take your current cymbal in the store and see if it "plays well with others".

You may end up getting something you hadn't previously thought of. I scored a great deal on a 19" Zildjian Beautiful Baby ride a while back when I was looking for my left side ride. My main ride is a 22" K Con Bounce Ride. I was surprised to hear how well they sound together.

Thanks for the good suggestions, guys. I'm going to try some of the sound clips for these to see if I like them.

Skulmoski, you have a couple Spizzes? I'm in awe. How did you come about them? Did you get them through Steve Maxwell? I watched a clip on YouTube of a guy visiting Roberto's little factory and picking his cymbals out by hand. WOW.

Yep, got them from Steve. His sound files are pretty accurate and he is a great guy to deal with. You will have no issues if you aren't satisfied.

They are pricy, but they will hold their value; indeed, they will increase in value since Robert will eventually retire. I expect that these Spizzichino's will quickly gain cult status and command atmospheric prices. I reasoned that if I can't afford them today, I will never be able to afford them. Now that I have these Spizzichino cymbals, I will not likely ever look to "upgrade".

More can be found out about these beauties if you search at cymbalholic.com.

Take care

GJS

With the obvious suggestion of the Pitch Black jazz ride notwithstanding, how 'bout a Sabian Omni? It'll be brighter and you can crash on it too. Unless of course, you found a nice Zildjian Earth Ride from the '70s - those always go good with jazz ;)

Wonderful suggestions Bo! You really know your cymbals. I was wondering why they sound so good in your videos! Full set of Spizzes right?

You will just have to try as many cymbals as you can. It's usually best to take your current cymbal in the store and see if it "plays well with others".

You may end up getting something you hadn't previously thought of. I scored a great deal on a 19" Zildjian Beautiful Baby ride a while back when I was looking for my left side ride. My main ride is a 22" K Con Bounce Ride. I was surprised to hear how well they sound together.

Oh, man. My local shop had an Armand Beautiful Baby in stock for months and I came *this* close to buying it. By the time I had decided I was going to pull the trigger, I planned to come in with my K-Con but somebody had snatched it up. I hope that wasn't my perfect left side ride, because if it was, I let it slip away!

They actually have it labeled as a "left side ride"? This is a discrimination of left-handers who would use it on the right side of their kits! The injustice! That's it, I'm dumping my Zildjians...

Nice recs. No wonder Zildjian is taking cheap shots at you lefties! :)

Back