Second jazz ride cymbal

19drum94

From your suggestions, I would say the sweet ride. The AAX RBDR is awful for jazz and one of the brightest rides i have heard. Or try a Meinl byzance flat ride. you can crash it very well.

Doctor1and2

Hello 8Mile,

Hopefully, by now you have found a cymbal that works for you. From reading the string of comments, you received several thoughtful suggestions. However, I didn't see anyone asking you what kind of jazz you wish to play and what particular sound you hope to achieve... and yes, sometimes we really don't know these answers.

When we say jazz music, it is about as precise as saying country music for example. The range of styles is virtually endless. To get more precise, ask yourself what jazz music you're playing now and who are your current jazz influences. If where you're at musically is where you see yourself staying for at least the near term, this makes your cymbal selection a bit easier.

Specifically, if you want a big band sound, that's a very different cymbal choice from say a 1950's or 1960's acoustic bebop quartet. Your choice would be different again if you want a Brazilian jazz, Bossa Nova or Latin jazz sound where percussion often takes a more prominent role in the mix. Many younger players are attracted to modern jazz and the cymbal sounds lean more toward a rock-like tonality in order to cut through the amplified electronic instruments.

Obviously, the sea of cymbal choices is staggering and buyer's remorse can be rather expensive. In making your selection, here are some things to keep in mind. Your preference for the Zildjian brand will probably work in your favor. Zildjian continues to sell more cymbals worldwide than all other manufacturers combined. If you're seeking a sound from the past few decades, it's a safe bet that drummer was using Zildjians. If you'll go to the Zildjian website, you'll find sound samples (often ride, bell and crash sounds) for just about every cymbal in their product line. Obviously, recorded samples are not the same as your live play on the pie, but it's a great place to start really listening for the sound characteristics you're after.

I'm sure you're aware that there is a trend among all musicians to go esoteric in their gear selection. A mega-buck, extremely rare, hand-made cymbal of Ukrainian bronze that was individually hammered by Tibetan monks may impress some drummers... but it still may not be the sound that works for you. Often, the assumed superiority of such "super cymbals" is more fantasized than real.

I might suggest you keep in mind that sadly, many drummers change their gear as often as they change their underwear (some, even more frequently). Yes, equipment selection matters, but often drummers seek new gear as a solution to improper setup, improper tuning or improper technique. Go slow in making your choice and always ask yourself what sound you are hoping to achieve. If you do this, you'll probably be pleased with the results. As a wise old native hunter once remarked to the young brave, it ain't the bow, it's the Indian shooting it.

Last edited:

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Check out the vintage A's if the K's are too pricy. Also consider adding a few rivets. One of my Spizzichino's has rivets and it sounds really sweet.

Sadly, Roberto Spizzichino has passed away so getting one of his cymbals will be both difficult and even more pricy. I have a 22" Spizzichino swish cymbal on the way and it should arrive at the end of this week. Some drummers use swish and pang cymbals in place of a ride.

Good luck with your selection.

GJS

8Mile

Platinum Member
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Doctor1and2: I was specifically looking for something to augment my set in a small-group, bop-type setting.

Skulmoski: Yes, terrible news about Spizz. Who can possibly carry that torch now? Huge loss.

I went ahead and picked up a K Custom Left Side Ride. My local shop knew I was in the market for a second ride and they stocked a few I think they knew I might make a selection from :) Well, they were right, and I instantly knew this was the ride I wanted.

The cymbal is dry, moreso than I remember from any of the samples I had checked out before. The rivets are definitely needed to add a little something to it. It has great stick definition and a really pleasant pitch. There are no problems with the articulation of a fast ride pattern; the cymbal doesn't get away from you at fast tempos.

I talk up the value of local shops a lot, and I'm going to again: My guys let me bring in my collection of cymbals and set them up at the store to make sure the cymbal I was choosing would complement what I already own. They even offered to let me play it on a gig. Unfortunately, that's a few months away, so it wasn't an option. But a great offer, and something you won't get shopping online.

So, I'm very pleased with my new cymbal. My primary jazz ride is a 22" K-Con Medium Ride, and this beauty makes for a great contrast to it.

I also picked up a used Armand Beautiful Baby 19" Ride a few months ago. I love it. It's brighter and washier than either of the Ks and it fits in perfectly with them both.