Second-hand cymbals in the UK

Someone's Dad

Been looking at cymbals on eBay.co.uk and I'm underwhelmed. It always seems to be good advice to buy second-hand for drummers when they're starting out, but the selection that's available in the UK seems poor and a lot of prices are totally unrealistic with minimal reductions from the first hand price, unless there's obvious cracks, key-holing or similar neglect.
Any one got experience of buying second hand in the UK? Am I doing it wrong?

DaveCollingwood

Are you on any of the Facebook groups for buying/selling cymbals? Usually pretty reasonable as everyone's in the same boat and can avoid the claws of Ebay / Paypal fees. Have a search, it's worth a look!

Also, excuse the shameless plug, but I like to think my prices are reasonable and realistic if you fancied taking a look - and that's for brand new genuine handmade B20 bronze cymbals! Just putting it out there...

Captain Bash

Silver Member
I think you can pick up some great cymbals deals on eBay in UK but.... It tends to be a fashion thing. What I mean is that at present all the current marketing is on dark hand hammered cymbals, however, this isnt where the good deals are.

The good deals are in drummers selling there out of vogue regular A customs or heavy z customs etc.......In other words bright cymbals. There are no doubt some chancers trying to get top whack for second hand cymbals just avoid them.

Also, I would always double check with the seller about hairline cracks. You cannot see these on eBay photos; over the years I bought a whole set of Paiste twenties on eBay (ride, hats, China, crashes, splash). One cymbal had a hairline crack which I could hear but not see on the photo. Luckily the seller was great and refunded on return. So overall I would say eBay in uk is fine just use common sense and no when to stop bidding.

Someone's Dad

Appreciate the responses. I'm not on Facebook, so I'll check that out (finally a reason to create an account). Interested to read the suggestion of fashion in cymbals - my boy's ultimate preference would be for Zildjian As (no doubt due to Travis Barker) so it sounds like I should be having better luck looking for brighter cymbals. Maybe I'm being impatient - it's frustrating to see so many great cymbals on sale in the US, then to work out the postage and the import duty and find that the price has bumped up beyond the full brand-new retail price.
I'll keep going. Cheers.

STXBob

Gold Member
Pay attention to Mr Collingwood's offerings. You really can't go wrong. Why buy off the peg when you can go bespoke for the same or less dosh?

STXBob

Gold Member
I appreciate this, thanks!
Small independent craftspeople should support one another. ;)

The only reason I don't have a case full of your work is because I'm a small independent craftsman, i.e., I'm broke all the time. Well, that and I can't decide; you have four cymbals for sale right now I want, and I slaver over each of them equally.

One day.

DaveCollingwood

Small independent craftspeople should support one another. ;)

The only reason I don't have a case full of your work is because I'm a small independent craftsman, i.e., I'm broke all the time. Well, that and I can't decide; you have four cymbals for sale right now I want, and I slaver over each of them equally.

One day.
Lots more to come, I'm sure we can arrange something for you one day! What do you do?

Fresh

Because of the shipping costs, you're going to have a smaller selection of stuff to choose from unfortunately. Zildjian is quite prolific in the US. Is there a UK version of craigslist that you could scour? How are shipping costs from Europe? That would open up a bit more in terms of selection.

As for the independent cymbal makers, great sounding stuff although, without the fancy Zildjian logo, I can see them going underappreciated, depending on the kid.

Someone's Dad

The desire for a logo is an unfortunate aspect of being twelve, I think.

Following my whinging, a number of realistically priced cymbals have appeared in my searches. I guess it's a really case of timing - there suddenly seems to be two or three personal collections up for grabs. Would love to buy an advertised 21" Sweet Ride for the stated price of £120. Although the frustration with that item is it's "Local Collection Only". Seen that on a few auctions - another quirk of this small island.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Where do you live, Someone's Dad? I have some good cymbals - UFiP hats, crash and ride - that I don't use any more that I've never got round to selling. P&P is a beggar and makes the whole thing expensive which is mostly why I haven't done it. I live near Wrexham; PM me if that's any good to you.

STXBob

Gold Member
Don't trust her. She's Welsh.

[ducking and running]

Seriously, though, that's Drummer World for you. DW to the rescue!

Oh, and if your lad turns down Madge's UFIPs, I will personally swim over there and fetch him SUCH a ding on the ear. Those are wonderful instruments, to my ear in every way superior to anything Zildjian has to offer.

Someone's Dad

Sadly, I'm nowhere near Wrexham. But I appreciate the post - I'm not familiar with UFIP, but I'm impressed by the videos I've just watched. Will definitely investigate further.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Don't trust her. She's Welsh.

[ducking and running]
I am fortunate enough to live in God's Own Country, I support Wales in the rugby and I do speak a little Welsh, but alas I'm not actually Welsh. In these parts I'm what's known as "Wenglish" ;)

Seriously, though, that's Drummer World for you. DW to the rescue!
It's that kind of place.

Oh, and if your lad turns down Madge's UFIPs, I will personally swim over there and fetch him SUCH a ding on the ear. Those are wonderful instruments, to my ear in every way superior to anything Zildjian has to offer.
They wouldn't be going anywhere, only I got nabbed by the Opposition. VERY classy pies!