seamless 7x14 copper snare recommendations?

Drum Guy

Wanting to buy a great sounding seamless copper snare (sadly Q Drums not making their gentlemen's series anymore so that's out) - must be seamless, 7x14 and 8-lug preferably. Considering Orillio, joyful noise and wondering if the new revamped Sakae company will make such and in Japan no less soon, but who knows.

SO, anyone have experience with a copper 14x7 from Joyful, or the 7.5x14 from Orillio? any sound files? How's 7.5" vs 7" depth? Does Canopus make a 14x7 seamless copper? can't find info on that

I've tried the Ludwig 8x14 copper, not to my taste, and am looking for a 7 to 7.5" anyway.

If I can't hear a great sound file I like, might just settle for the TAMA 7x14 starphonic, but it's not seamless and it's 10-lug...shame.

thanks for input folks!

Drum Guy

thanks for all replies - I am leaning towards oriollo indeed, but wonder if there is a projection or tonal diff between a 7" vs 7.5", which is his normal offering. Never seen or heard a 7.5" before. but he said he can make me a regular 7" too.

anyone own a 7.5" or have a link to hear?

steadypocket

Gold Member
Don’t get too hung up on a seamless shell. I own four copper drums, including the Q Gentleman’s series drum, which sounds great. My Tama Star Reserve is eye-watering, and I have its brass sibling. I have a Starphonic copper and one by Offbeat Drums. They’re all stellar drums, and very distinct from one another. The absence, or presence of a seam makes no difference.

As for Joyful Noise, I currently own four of Curt’s drums. They’re as fine as any drums I own. I once owned a soared copper though that just didn’t do anything for me. Finicky drum which was impossible to dial in, and stay in tune. All three of my seamed copper drums blow away that JN copper drum that I once owned, and I should add that the four Joyful Noise drums I currently own are fabulous.

My point here is that the argument that a seamless drum shell is somehow superior because the shell allegedly vibrates unimpeded by a seam is way overhyped.

Drum Guy

thanks very much...i’m currently looking at a joyful noise 6.5 copper and the 7.5 orillio and the tama starphonic 7x14 copper. which do you like and why? im looking for projection, slight ring and versatility

Don’t get too hung up on a seamless shell. I own four copper drums, including the Q Gentleman’s series drum, which sounds great. My Tama Star Reserve is eye-watering, and I have its brass sibling. I have a Starphonic copper and one by Offbeat Drums. They’re all stellar drums, and very distinct from one another. The absence, or presence of a seam makes no difference.

As for Joyful Noise, I currently own four of Curt’s drums. They’re as fine as any drums I own. I once owned a soared copper though that just didn’t do anything for me. Finicky drum which was impossible to dial in, and stay in tune. All three of my seamed copper drums blow away that JN copper drum

incrementalg

Gold Member
The Tama starphonic is the darkest sounding copper drum I’ve heard. I like that, but it may not lend itself to being as versatile as some others.
I have an Oriollo phantom (aluminum) and it’s a phenomenal drum. Of the drums listed, Oriollo gets my vote.

That being said, I also recommend a Ludwig Copperphonic. Easy to find one and they sound great. I wouldn’t think twice about seamless vs non seamless. Just get the drum that sounds and feels best to you.

Drum Guy

thank you for that feedback, that is very helpful...ended up buying the Oriollo 7x14 polished copper....we'll see...TAMA starphonic copper is my plan B if need to.

Last edited: