Scored a Bronze Supra LB552

steverok

Silver Member
This showed up on eBay last week and I snatched it up. Just got it today. Look, the P85 strainer has drum key screws. Pretty cool, right ? Also, the P33 butt plate has a gasket, but the lugs don't. I wonder if they were on there originally. Curiously, it had an original Weather Master batter head, used but not grossly. I don't know what year it was made. Although not quite as in tune aesthetically with my kits, I'm prepared to say I like the pop and definition better than on my Black Beauty. With an Ambassador batter, It does ring quite alot when I strike it off center. I think I'm going to enjoy this drum. I'm surprised at how unruly it is. Just wanted to share with this lustful crew ... Steve-O.

Steve-O

Last edited:

longgun

Gold Member
This showed up on eBay last week and I snatched it up. Just got it today. Look, the P85 strainer has drum key screws. Pretty cool, right ? Also, the P33 butt plate has a gasket, but the lugs don't. I wonder if they were on there originally. Curiously, it had an original Weather Master batter head, used but not grossly. I don't know what year it was made. Although not quite as in tune aesthetically with my kits, I'm prepared to say I like the pop and definition better than on my Black Beauty. With an Ambassador batter, It does ring quite alot when I strike it off center. I'm think I'm going to enjoy this drum. I'm surprised out how unruly it is. Just wanted to share with this lustful crew ... Steve-O.

Steve-O

Beautiful snare...............didn't know they made P85's without screws

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
Amazing drum! Great score.

Mine is a hammered version, same size and I put die cast hoops on her. It's been my #1 for almost 20 years!

I replaced the P-85 on mine and the factory replacement had screws but it's easy to just replace them with key bolts instead. I think I should do that... not a big fan of stripped screws on my throw-off. Sadly one of the lugs broke the screw insert off so I need to replace one of them. Still works fine though.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Awesome drum!!!

That's the shell and lugs I'd get too (I have gone back and forth for years on all that stuff haha!).
I haven't pulled the trigger on another Bronze, & my Bronze BB never leaves the house other than to record anymore.

Such a great shell. Thate butt plate has always had gaskets on it since it came out. The Imperial lugs just started having them a year or so ago. I don't care for them, but, I don't mind the gaskets on the wood shell snares.

Have fun with that Beauty!!!!

steverok

Silver Member
Bronze is my favorite snare metal. Great score. Is it your favorite snare now?
Ha, well I just got it today, so we'll see. My 1988 LM402 is the benchmark against which I judge all other snares. This drum is in amazing condition, and in as good a condition as any of my other Ludwig snares, of which I am the original owner. It popped up on eBay for a $400 BIN, and I saw it very early. Funny thing is, the drum-key screws on the P85 put me over the fence ! Thanks guys, it's a real fire-cracker and a real stunner.

steverok

Silver Member
Congrats. Would love to see the rest of the kit.
These are the Vistalites I got new just two months ago. I had a thread on here about them but I can no longer find it. This weekend, I am debuting them at Florida Supercon, which is a huge type of Comic Con event, down in Miami. My band is playing two different days there. I hope I rock !!

D

drumming sort of person

Those a great drums. I prefer them with die-cast hoops which give them more of a solid thwack, but those hoops are great too.

BGH

Gold Member
Congrats on a nice pick-up. You'll be very happy with it. I have the 5" smooth bronze Supra. I also put a die cast hoop on just the batter side to give it more bite. I actually felt that mine was too mellow with the stock hoop.

cornelius

Silver Member
These are the Vistalites I got new just two months ago. I had a thread on here about them but I can no longer find it. This weekend, I am debuting them at Florida Supercon, which is a huge type of Comic Con event, down in Miami. My band is playing two different days there. I hope I rock !!]
That snare looks great with the Blue Visti's!!
Have a great gig... :)

steverok

Silver Member
Hell yeah man thanks. I have a couple of nice wood Premier kits, so when I ordered the Vistalites, I decided beforehand that I would not over-think it and just have fun with them. I don't criticize them for what they are not. I enjoy them for what they are, which is a nicely-fitting kit that makes a whole lot of happy racket. They all resonate fully and mightily, and the bass drum is especially powerful, punchy, and boomy.

I had an extra low-collar Remo snare-side head lying around, along with a set of PureSound 16-strand concert snares, and a ball of Ludwig snare chord. I fitted the new LB552 with that stuff, and it just sweetens the whole experience. Such a great drum. I also have the BB and the LM402, and they really are all just so excellent and so beautiful. I need to ROCK this weekend !!

mandrew

Gold Member
Great looking drum! BTW, the 16 strand Pure Sound Concert wires are a well kept secret! The word "concert" scares folks away, but they are my favorite.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
These are the Vistalites I got new just two months ago. I had a thread on here about them but I can no longer find it. This weekend, I am debuting them at Florida Supercon, which is a huge type of Comic Con event, down in Miami. My band is playing two different days there. I hope I rock !!

Wow, that is an awesome looking kit.