Scheduling/payment management for drum students

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
To all of those that maintain a busy teaching schedule, how do you do so? As of right now, I'm doing it via the archaic pen and paper calendar. Is there any free or cheap software that you could recommend to keep track of everything from payments and timetables to contact information?

My teacher has his (other) students pay a month in advance to make sure they come. Good idea if you ask me.

Google calendar. It will even sync to a smartphone.

Yeah, that's what I've been leaning towards, honestly. I haven't really used it enough to know how powerful it is though. The other issue is that I don't have internet access at the place I'm teaching from right now, which makes things a bit more difficult.

My teacher has his (other) students pay a month in advance to make sure they come. Good idea if you ask me.

Yes! This is something I have implemented recently. It saves headaches on both ends, I think, and gives a little bit more security.

+2 for Google Calendar, its free, easy to use and it indespensible if you're busy.

When I was teaching full time I would take 50% off a student for the month, rather than the full 100%. At the time it was a tenner a lesson, so the student would give me £20 at the start of each month, and a fiver each lesson thereafter.

A lack of Internet access does make things trickier, I have to admit.

When I was an Undergraduate, I used Google Calendar linked up to my laptop and to my smartphone. I was able to simply log onto my calendar client (I have Macs, so I used iCal but other clients are available for Mac - they all use the same protocol) and change appointments, etc. This meant that I could edit from my phone and it would show on my laptop and vice versa. Very useful indeed.

If you have a smartphone, I highly recommend doing it. The data connection is more than adequate for what you're doing. If you don't have a smartphone then I would seriously consider getting one (even a low-end Android device like mine will work). It can even just be a 'work' phone synced up to a minimal contract with a relatively small data allowance. The amount of data needed is fairly negligible and it means you can update and edit it all on the fly. Worked great for me for the best part of two years.

Google Calendar is very powerful and very useful. Setting up the two-way sync with my laptop was a little trickier (the online Calendar acted as a 'go-between' and both devices downloaded and uploaded to and from it) but took about twenty minutes and worked well. If you get it right, you can even sync email invitations into your iCal client and upload those automatically to your Google Calendar as well. Attaching documents to iCal works well and I would imagine there is a way to attach documents to Google Calendar but I'm not sure if you can do that directly from iCal.

I do this as well

you pay by the month during the school year and week to week during the summer because everyone is vacationing and whatnot

Paying the beginning of the month for the whole month gives them motivation to show up. I give my students and parents a sheet explaining everything and include in there if you do not show for a lesson you forfeit that week's payment.

As far as tracking I just setup a basic table in Excel listing each month,student, and payment amount and how they paid.

Paying the beginning of the month for the whole month gives them motivation to show up. I give my students and parents a sheet explaining everything and include in there if you do not show for a lesson you forfeit that week's payment.

The way that I word it is: "You are paying for the reservation of your lesson time."

Thanks for all your input guys!

A lack of Internet access does make things trickier, I have to admit.

When I was an Undergraduate, I used Google Calendar linked up to my laptop and to my smartphone. I was able to simply log onto my calendar client (I have Macs, so I used iCal but other clients are available for Mac - they all use the same protocol) and change appointments, etc. This meant that I could edit from my phone and it would show on my laptop and vice versa. Very useful indeed.

If you have a smartphone, I highly recommend doing it. The data connection is more than adequate for what you're doing. If you don't have a smartphone then I would seriously consider getting one (even a low-end Android device like mine will work). It can even just be a 'work' phone synced up to a minimal contract with a relatively small data allowance. The amount of data needed is fairly negligible and it means you can update and edit it all on the fly. Worked great for me for the best part of two years.

Google Calendar is very powerful and very useful. Setting up the two-way sync with my laptop was a little trickier (the online Calendar acted as a 'go-between' and both devices downloaded and uploaded to and from it) but took about twenty minutes and worked well. If you get it right, you can even sync email invitations into your iCal client and upload those automatically to your Google Calendar as well. Attaching documents to iCal works well and I would imagine there is a way to attach documents to Google Calendar but I'm not sure if you can do that directly from iCal.

A smartphone is on my list of things to get soon, haha. I'm actually a due for an upgrade, so that will work out nicely. Right now, my student load is light, but it is soon going to pick up pretty heavily, so I'd like to get this all sorted soon.

The way that I word it is: "You are paying for the reservation of your lesson time."

I like that, I'll use that wording in the future! Honestly, that's precisely the case, because if someone is a no-show, then that time slot is useless for me.

Back