saw this and thought of my Drummerworld brothers and sisters.

I saw this the other day. It's truly inspirational, with an exceedingly good point to boot. Always a pleasure to see it again; thank you!

Cheers! :)

Drumming! Thanks for sharing. The videos of those people paragliding into caves were crazy!

This is quite a depressing lecture for someone who figured this stuff out too late and now spends his days fixing other people's corporate networks and computers, daydreaming of the moment later in the evening when he can finally come home to his girl and drum kit.

One of these days, I'm going to give away all this stuff and live from a van while I play music and do art.

(yea, right)

New project for me in 2013: Check out Allan Watts' writings and books.

Thanks for that. Its very interesting, deep.
Unfortunately, and sadly, I think its mostly an ideality, and not a reality, for most walks of life.
I think biologically a species, even we humans, is driven to do what we are doing.... keeping up, the rat race, whatever it is you want to call it.
I mean think about squirrels. Do you think they think about doing what they really want to do? I bet some of them want to drum for life too. lol . But no, they just keep gathering nuts, and are driven to do so, because nobody else will do it for them (else they starve).

Yes, I have come to this same conclusion...

I'm making some progress in changing my current situation of doing a job that makes me miserable so that I can go on continuing to be miserable with my job. I'll have to do this job a little bit longer, but change is on the horizon, thank God and knock on wood. But it will allow me to spend more time on the drums and guitar while easing my financial burden and eventually I can quit the engineering/computer job all together. I just can't do these office jobs anymore. I shudder to think of what another twenty years of this crap will do to me. It's just not my natural environment.

To be honest, if it wasn't for drumming and making friends in the music biz, this opportunity would never exist.

"It's better to live a short life doing what you want than a long life doing what you don't like."
Only problem is, we never know, when the opportunity to do what we want, may come along,so we keep muddling along waiting for it to happen, especially when we know that money does matter.

"It's better to live a short life doing what you want than a long life doing what you don't like."
Only problem is, we never know, when the opportunity to do what we want, may come along,so we keep muddling along waiting for it to happen, especially when we know that money does matter.

I think the whole point is not to wait for anything to come along and just go get it

All of this is so flipping true.

Interesting to me anyways is trying to reconcile the ideal as expressed in the video to the real (what is demanded of you).

I could go on and on how I love all of what was said in the clip but I won't. I will say though that that fundamental message hits the point of why I stopped gigging in musical situations I hated to be in playing the music I don't value.

Some people say - "great - more gigs for me". My response - "Great - take them! I hope you get rich doing them!"

Ants, that's a very inspirational clip.

I will say though that that fundamental message hits the point of why I stopped gigging in musical situations I hated to be in playing the music I don't value.

Some people say - "great - more gigs for me". My response - "Great - take them! I hope you get rich doing them!"

D, what you say here is something I can really relate to as well.

In my case, I have a job I like, but not as much as playing music. I have some financial obligations that will end in a couple of years and I have an opportunity to decide what changes I may want to make in my life.

I find myself with more and more opportunities to play. But I'm getting selfish in my old age. I want to play what I want to play. And I feel my talents are, to a large extent, wasted in just playing with anyone who wants to hire me.

Some big decisions for me in the coming years, I guess. And I look forward to them. It's good to have choices.

We are all socially assimilated in some form or another with opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing.

If you don't like the way things are and want to make a change, you then have to be open to the possibility that everything you know is wrong.

Back