Saluda Diamond series Dark Accent swiss crash/ride review

sage32

I recently won an eBay auction for an 18" Saluda Diamond Dark Accent Swiss crash/ride and the cymbal arrived in the mail today. I am so impressed with this cymbal that I decided to post a review and share my experience.

My first impression of this cymbal is that it is neither too thin nor too heavy. It's clearly somewhere between medium and medium thin. The surface is a very dark bronze that is peppered with hammer markings. It has a rather flat profile and the vent holes are not as big as Sabian's iconic O-Zone crash. There is one ring of medium sized holes near the edge and another ring of small holes towards the bell. Since this is a crash/ride, Saluda left plenty of surface area for riding.

Using 7a wood tip sticks, when playing on the bow the stick definition is a clear defined "tah" over a dark, smoky wash. With heavier sticks or louder playing, the wash begins to overwhelm. However, I find that when playing on the area by the small holes close to the bell the balance between definition and wash is just right even at higher levels. Crashing the cymbal produces a fast explosion that is very dark and trashy. The crash gets out of the way quick enough to go back to riding so this makes a truly functional crash/ride with the added trashy quality of a china or FX cymbal. To me it's like a cross between an HHX O-Zone and a K Constantinople crash/ride.

This is the type of cymbal that I can see being used in virtually any genre. You can use it as an effect cymbal like a china for accents, as a go-to crash, or as a secondary ride in small delicate jazzy scenarios (or even as a main ride in an acoustic setting). I imagine this would also make an excellent stacker combined with another cymbal.

This is a fresh cymbal that was crafted quite recently so Saluda told me that it generally takes a couple weeks for it to "sweeten." However, even in its current state I am thoroughly impressed! If you're looking for a unique multi-function cymbal and you like dark sounds, check out these new Dark Accent prototypes from Saluda!

sage32

That was a good review, except I didn't see anything about the bell sound.
Apologies, I forgot to mention the bell! The bell is modest in size and produces a clear icy ping and is absent of any weird overtones and is not ear piercing loud. I wouldn't say it's the best I've heard but it's not bad either. Compared to my UFiPs and my HHX Manhattan ride, it has the lowest pitch of the bunch. Top to bottom it's just a well crafted cymbal.

The UFiPs have rather large bells and they sound absolutely fantastic! Very musical quality to them.

Cymbalise

Nice setup, great review. Saluda have generated some mixed opinions in the past but what's stood out throughout is the satisfaction of the drummer with the cymbals.

How do you like that Rough crash/ride? It's a fave of mine!

sage32

Nice setup, great review. Saluda have generated some mixed opinions in the past but what's stood out throughout is the satisfaction of the drummer with the cymbals.

How do you like that Rough crash/ride? It's a fave of mine!
The Rough series crash/ride is such a joy to play! It's hands down the best crash/ride I've ever played.

A friend of mine has a Zildjian K crash/ride 21" and we put them side by side to see how they compare to each other. What we found is that my UFiP is slightly darker in pitch, has a faster crash with a faster decay, clearer stick definition, and a MUCH better bell. We also found that the Rough crash/ride is more sensitive and has a slightly broader range of dynamics. It can do the soft playing well, but then when we took bigger sticks and really laid into the shoulder Taylor Hawkins style the Rough was able to reach a higher gear than the Zildjian. It was so loud that my buddy's cell phone fell off a ledge! Personally I never really play that loud but it's nice knowing that my cymbal is capable of pulling out the heavy artillery!

I also have 19" Class series low crash 1440 grams and it's a very beautiful cymbal that complements the Rough very well. It's a very dark cymbal but not in a complex trashy way. It's super glassy smooth, like butter. Despite it's low pitch there are also some sparkling highs like icing on the top. It's also a versatile cymbal where it becomes a nice washy ride when riding close to the bell (with 7A sticks).