saluda cymbals

johnwesley

Silver Member
During isolation thanks to the Covid-19 BS, I'm spending an inordinate amount of time looking at drum stuff online. Mostly snare drums but also cymbals. Anyone ever use Saluda cymbals? They look interesting but wonder if they're any good. In particular a 14" china, but also 16" crash. Not sure how they get those finishes but sure do stand out. Eh?

johnwesley

Silver Member
They sound a bit cheap to me personally. I think they are a little novelty but if you dig the sound get em!
I'm attracted to stuff outside the paradigm, and these have a "novelty" look about them but unless they sound good I'm not interested. Then again my idea of "sound" may not be the same as everyone else. Example: I have a metal bathroom trash can mounted on a cymbal stand because it looks like blue/green patina brass AND sounds like a cowbell!!! Albeit a bass cowbell.

SirSwingsAlot

I'm attracted to stuff outside the paradigm, and these have a "novelty" look about them but unless they sound good I'm not interested. Then again my idea of "sound" may not be the same as everyone else. Example: I have a metal bathroom trash can mounted on a cymbal stand because it looks like blue/green patina brass AND sounds like a cowbell!!! Albeit a bass cowbell.
Love it. I definitely dig a trashier vibe too. also, the Saludas I’ve heard have been on YouTube with nice mics. Cymbals sound different in person for sure!

BruceW

I am really attracted to their look, but am concerned about dropping money into anything that I can't hear first. And as I understand it, no one actually stocks Saludas, its all special order, so I can't go look at and listen to them anywhere. Am I correct?
Disappointing. I see lots of folks here buying stuff, and trying stuff. And then maybe selling it and moving onto the next thing. I simply don't have the time, nor the budget to just order them to see if I actually like them. I'm hoping to purchase new cymbals for my set, and to me, that will be a substantial sum of cash.

I plan on replacing everything, all at once, and to try and keep them one brand. I know, I know...play what sounds good to you, it shouldn't matter, mix and match, etc. I have already done that, and completely understand/agree. Still, this will likely be my only substantial gear purchase for the foreseeable future, and I just want them to be one family.

I absolutely love the look of the Saludas. I'm too scared to pull the trigger without hearing them. Sigh. Paralysis by Analysis, completely guilty! ;)

If anyone has a resource to hear them, I'd be thrilled to know more. My web searching thus far has been less than successful.

Super Phil

I've had a couple of Saluda (Earthworks) crashes for several years. The problem with Saluda is that they ask you what you want sound-wise and then they make it to the best of their ability. They don't have a bunch of cymbals already made that you can listen to and choose from... which is what I would prefer. Then they say if you want any changes made to the sound you can send it back and they'll re-work it. With what shipping costs these days the last thing I want to be doing is be shipping a cymbal back and forth across the country trying to get a sound i like.

So when I got my two crashes one sounded decent and one sounded not to my taste.... but I wasn't going to bother sending anything back and figured I would just deal with the sound. Over the years I guess the bronze 'cures' or something, and they started to sound a little better (on the odd occasions I would pull them out.)

Just recently one of the crashes developed a crack on the edge, and Saluda has offered to replace it under warranty. Pretty good warranty on a cymbal I bought in 2013! Problem is I went to the post office yesterday and it was going to cost $47 to ship the cymbal to them... and I would also have to pay for them to ship the cymbal back to me. So I'm looking at something like $100 in shipping for a warranty on a cymbal I'm not even that crazy about. I'll pass on paying that much for shipping and just use it on a practice kit or something. 😏

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I got a set of cymbals from them a number of years ago. A ride, a couple crashes and a top hi hat.

The crashes did not sound anything like what I has indicated I was looking for. They had a very trashy Wuhan crash sound. The hi hat top also had the China-ish overtones but the biggest problem was the cymbal was over a 1/4" oversized. Neither one of the crashes was exactly the right size either, but on a hi hat that's a pretty important thing to get right.

But all of that was minor compared to the ride. Both the bell and the profile of the bow were off center. The bow was also different from one side of the cymbal to the other. One side of the cymbal had a fairly flat, gentle profile, while on the other side the bow curved quickly and steeply toward the edge. If you laid the cymbal upside down on a table one side of the edge was over an inch taller than the other. Also, because the bell (and "center" hole) were off center the cymbal immediately spun around just under its own weight.

Maybe my experience was an extreme outlier, maybe everyone else has had a better experience, but Saluda cymbals are pure trash as far as I'm concerned.

I have Saluda cymbals. I got 18,19, 20 Ambiance crashes. They are dark, the decay is pretty quick and they were hammered to a semi dry tone.
The hats are the Symbolic series. They sound pretty good. Medium in weight with a vented bottom. I had those made semi dry as well. My Ride is an Earthworks medium also semi dry and dark.

Lennytoons

I have a Paiste 602 14" pre-serial number that developed a small crack along one edge. I sent it to Saluda and they repaired it beautifully. You can't tell it was ever damaged and it sounds fantastic. It's one of my favorite crashes.

Last edited: