Sally (Paradiddle exercise)

A guy at guitar center showed me this fun paradiddle exercise he got from some drum corp guys. Not really sure where the title comes from, but here it is.

Capital letter are accents

Rlrr Lrll RlRlrr LrLrll Rlrr LrLrll RlRlrr Lrll RlRlRlrr LrLrLrll RlRlRlrr
Lrll Rlrr LrLrll RlRlrr Lrll RlRlrr LrLrll Rlrr LrLrLrll RlRlRlrr LrLrLrll

Accents can be switched to flams, cheeses, or whatever. Enjoy!

Wow! We used to do that when I was in Drum Corps back in the early 70s
That brings back memories.
Thanks for posting!

Love paradiddles....the whole diddle family does it for me. I can sit idly noodling away with paradiddle combinations for hours when I'm sitting with a pad on my lap watching telly......they lend themselves to some great sounding rhythms I think.

I still have no idea what "cheeses" are, despite seeing them mentioned constantly here on DW. For us non-drum corps guys......what the hell are cheeses.....what's the sticking?

I am also from Richmond. Not sure if we ever met in person. I do most of my playing outside the Richmond area, but have my teaching studio in Henrico. Please feel free to visit my website www.johnsondrum.com

You can actually make your own paradiddle exercises with a few rules:

Paradiddle - takes up the space of four 16th notes (P=4)

Double Paradiddle - takes up the space of six 16th notes (DP=6)

Paradiddle-diddle - also takes up the space of six 16th notes (PDD=6)

Triple Paradiddle - takes up the space of eight 16th notes (TP = 8)

Now - to fill up one measure, use combinations that add up to 16. As in:

• P, P, P, P (4+4+4+4=16)
  • DP, DP, P (6+6+4=16)
  • PDD, PDD, P
  • DP, P, DP
  • PDD, P, PDD
  • P, DP, DP
  • P, PDD, PDD
  • DP, PDD, P
  • PDD, DP, P
  • PDD, P, DP
  • DP, P, PDD
  • P, DP, PDD
  • P, PDD, DP
  • TP, TP
  • P, P, TP
  • TP, P, P
  • P, TP, P

You can extend these to add up to 32 sixteenths for two measure phrases. You can substitute other rudiments in as well.

Jeff

Last edited:
Love paradiddles....the whole diddle family does it for me. I can sit idly noodling away with paradiddle combinations for hours when I'm sitting with a pad on my lap watching telly......they lend themselves to some great sounding rhythms I think.

I still have no idea what "cheeses" are, despite seeing them mentioned constantly here on DW. For us non-drum corps guys......what the hell are cheeses.....what's the sticking?

Cheeses are simply a flam into a diddle. Sound easy, but are super hard to get to sound clean.

Cheeses are simply a flam into a diddle. Sound easy, but are super hard to get to sound clean.
We also used to simply call them the Flamadiddle.
You can flam on either the first or second stroke of the paradiddle.

Cheeses are simply a flam into a diddle.

We also used to simply call them the Flamadiddle.
You can flam on either the first or second stroke of the paradiddle.

Hang on men....I'm confused. So is it a flam straight into a diddle (like a flam tap but with a double stroke instead of the tap) ie. lRrr....... or is it a flam paradiddle (or flamadiddle, as per the official rudiment) i.e. lRlrr

I'm sorry pocket, It has been so long that I forgot. I made a mistake.
The cheese is a flam with a diddle.
Almost like a triplet feel.

Sort of, but not quite. A Cheese is a flam into a diddle followed by LRL. It looks like, lRrLRL (Rr is a diddle)

Check this out, Cheeses are #7: http://www.wadrumline.org/pdfs/rudiments/128HybridRudimentBook2.pdf

Hang on men....I'm confused. So is it a flam straight into a diddle (like a flam tap but with a double stroke instead of the tap) ie. lRrr....... or is it a flam paradiddle (or flamadiddle, as per the official rudiment) i.e. lRlrr

What I wrote above should answer that question. Its not lRrr, its lRr (Rr is the diddle)

What I wrote above should answer that question. Its not lRrr, its lRr (Rr is the diddle)

Got it....but isn't that a flam tap?

EDIT: Scratch that......thanks for the link, Luke.....that's sorted it out once and for all. Now that I can see the sticking, I've definitely heard these being played before. So that's what cheeses are.....thanks again for your persistence men.

I'm going to spend the evening going over all of these drum corps things that I have forgotten!

Got it....but isn't that a flam tap?

EDIT: Scratch that......thanks for the link, Luke.....that's sorted it out once and for all. Now that I can see the sticking, I've definitely heard these being played before. So that's what cheeses are.....thanks again for your persistence men.

No problem! I try to keep a copy of those hybrids around all the time, thats a pretty good list!

I'm going to spend the evening going over all of these drum corps things that I have forgotten!

I need to do that too, haha :p

Back