Sakae or TAMA 14x4?

Drum Guy

Wondered which is better build quality - Tama SLP Black Brass Snare Drum, 4x14 or the Sakae 14x4 Brass Black Snare?

I can get either new for maybe $340...which is better overall sound, build, value/worth?

Artstar

Platinum Member
Wondered which is better build quality - Tama SLP Black Brass Snare Drum, 4x14 or the Sakae 14x4 Brass Black Snare?

I can get either new for maybe $340...which is better overall sound, build, value/worth?
Most will probably tell you the Sakae is better but I don't know how unless it's a seamless shell. The Tama is very nice.

HOWEVER.. for the re-sale value the Sakae probably will hold up a little better just because it's not a common name like Tama.

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
HOWEVER.. for the re-sale value the Sakae probably will hold up a little better just because it's not a common name like Tama.
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Only real drum nerds know of Sakae, while every teen metal dude wants a Tama!

To get a good price on the Sakae you'd have to be patient and wait for the right buyer.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I can’t find a 4” depth Tama SLP, only their 6.5” depth, as listed here. I can’t find any decent info on the Sakae snare (shell thickness, etc.).

What I did find was that Sakae closed its doors last year.

I’d go for the Tama 6.5x14. Parts are available if ever needed, and it’s a great snare. Loud & articulate.