Sail Away...

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Hi DrummerFriends

Aydee's thread about career changes and my subsequent countries changes made me think about this recording I've done for my family and friends as a souvenir when I left my native country back in 1989.

So here's the recordind, a song by Enya called Orinoco Flow, I added some drums on it, sorry about the quality, it was on an audio tape initialy, so it's not brilliant, and you'll have to blame Andy (KIS) who suggested to upload this song on the forum :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm5n3ndlqJY

Let me sail, let me sail,
let the Orinoco Flow,
let me reach, let me beach
on the shores of Tripoli.
let me crash upon your shore,
far beyond the Yellow Sea.

Sail away, sail away, sail away. - Enya

Hi DrummerFriends

Aydee's thread about career changes and my subsequent countries changes made me think about this recording I've done for my family and friends as a souvenir when I left my native country back in 1989.

So here's the recordind, a song by Enya called Orinoco Flow, I added some drums on it, sorry about the quality, it was on an audio tape initialy, so it's not brilliant, and you'll have to blame Andy (KIS) who suggested to upload this song on the forum :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm5n3ndlqJY

let the Orinoco Flow,
on the shores of Tripoli.
let me crash upon your shore,
far beyond the Yellow Sea.

Sail away, sail away, sail away. - Enya
Yes, I accept all blame for this :)

Here's a copy of my return PM to Henri. No further detail necessary!

And you are hereby commanded to post this on the forum without delay!!!

I love your feel on this, & especially the little embellishments through the piece. My favourite section is from 1:49 = superb feel, & that lovely fill flam stop at 2:11 is a tour de force of fill tastefulness.

Wow Henri, I always suspected you're a class act, now I know you are :)

Andy.

First off, Henri - wow!! you can play!

Its a very orchestrated piece, not easy to play drums in these kind of comps. Some of the drum parts were a little overcooked and uneccesay IMO, but man, most of it was awesome. I love your tasty groove and the snap & crackle in your playing!!

I would love to hear more of your stuff. Bring it on!

I have a lot of Enya CD's. (insert laughter here.) But Orinoco Flow was the first and fave song I heard. I will have to wait until I get home to listen but by the first few posts here I am in for a treat

Sweet! That was superb.

Wow Henri, I always suspected you're a class act, now I know you are :)
Thank you so much Andy, you're too kind :))

Its a very orchestrated piece, not easy to play drums in these kind of comps. Some of the drum parts were a little overcooked and uneccesay IMO, but man, most of it was awesome. I love your tasty groove and the snap & crackle in your playing!!
Thank you Abe, Yes, it's originaly not written with a drum approach in mind, and I agree with the overplaying, after the second chorus the drum parts were ad libitum with no arrangements, I used a Tama Artwood piccolo snare on that track, plenty of snap & crackle in it :))

Add me to these statements .... You sound great man!
Thanks guys, I haven't got much digital or MP3 recording of myself, but I did upload a couple of songs from one of my previous band last year: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84684

I have a lot of Enya CD's. (insert laughter here.) But Orinoco Flow was the first and fave song I heard. I will have to wait until I get home to listen but by the first few posts here I am in for a treat
I'll join the laughing, I love Enya, Orinoco Flow is the song which made me buy that first CD when I heard it on the radio, I have now several CD's of Enya :)

Sweet! That was superb.
Thank you very much Mary :))

Now that I am home, I applaud your efforts. I have played to that song a few times but not that that result. Bravo.

Now that I am home, I applaud your efforts. I have played to that song a few times but not that that result. Bravo.

Thank you Grunt, so you're a fan of Enya? Do you have a recording of your playing on Orinoco Flow? If so, can you upload it, I would love to hear it :)

I don't but may do one now since there will be one less person laughing

Abe, did you see this thread of Henri's old band? Some snappy, super-tasty drumming there too: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84684

Henri, I don't normally bother with drum covers because they sound don't sound good, with the drums level way too high. But this not only adds extra colours to the song, it's an improvement (IMO), though I'm sure you're aware of the bits you'd like to improve upon. Easy for me to be an armchair critic - you're kicking my drumming butt!

I can see why Andy's so keen - your style in this track reeks of Simon Phillips - all those flowing grace notes. Stylish drum part composition too, which seems to be your shtick :)

Abe, did you see this thread of Henri's old band? Some snappy, super-tasty drumming there too: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84684
Thanks for the free advertising Polly :))

Henri, I don't normally bother with drum covers because they sound don't sound good, with the drums level way too high. But this not only adds extra colours to the song, it's an improvement (IMO), though I'm sure you're aware of the bits you'd like to improve upon.
Thank you so much Polly *blushing* I'm glad and pleased you enjoyed it :)

This cover was done in a rush 3 weeks before leaving my country upon a spontaneous idea to give something to Mum and Dad, I had no idea back then that it would end up on a drummers forum, lol (thanks Andy!!!). I would certainely gave more thought about the drum parts and less overplayed as far as improvement is concerned, haha :)

Easy for me to be an armchair critic - you're kicking my drumming butt!

I can see why Andy's so keen - your style in this track reeks of Simon Phillips - all those flowing grace notes. Stylish drum part composition too, which seems to be your shtick :)
And you can certainely kick my butt Grea, it's a mutual admiration society! ;-))

Simon Phillips is indeed one of my biggest influence, your compliment means a lot to me, thank you Polly :))

Thanks Pol, that was worth the detour.

@MAD:

Henri!

I didnt see this before Pol pointed my nose in this direction. This is totally brilliant, both tunes. Tasty comps, fabulously restrained arrgements, and kickass playing by all, and boy do you have a fatass greasegrinder of a groove! I loved it / and your playing. I liked that little double on the kick, which was a nice touch....

Sure the sound feels a little too 80s now, but these tunes evoked Headhunters and Steely Dan for me.Coming from me, thats high praise.

Bravo!

I don't but may do one now since there will be one less person laughing

Yeah man, please do, I would genuinely love to hear your drumming with Enya :))

And correction, there will be 2 less persons laughing, Andy seems to like Enya too :)

I didnt see this before Pol pointed my nose in this direction. This is totally brilliant, both tunes. Tasty comps, fabulously restrained arrgements, and kickass playing by all, and boy do you have a fatass greasegrinder of a groove! I loved it / and your playing. I liked that little double on the kick, which was a nice touch....

Sure the sound feels a little too 80s now, but these tunes evoked Headhunters and Steely Dan for me.Coming from me, thats high praise.

Bravo!

Thank you so much Abe for such high praise from a drummer of your caliber, it does mean a lot for me :))

Steely Dan? ... wow man, I like you ;-))

@Pollyanna: Thanks Grea for pointing the finger to my previous thread :))

An improvement on the song and really tasty drumming. Always a joy to listen to a drummer who really knows what he's doing. 5 stars

Back