safe cymbal storage

w3r1_drums

Hi guys! It's been awhile since I've been around.

A recent situation has forced me to dismount my cymbals and store them in my dorm with nothing but a soft shell beg to protect them - what would you recommend as far as storage? Right now I have them lying flat under my bed, bell facing downward, stacked on each other. Couldn't find any agreement across the internet (shocker) on what way was best to store them if a hard case wasn't an option. Thoughts?

Old Dog new Cans

Cymbals aren't easy to damage. . .You either have to bash them, drop them, or drop something on them. I personally just lean mine up against the wall, or slide them inside a closet if you're worried--stacked in your case.

You're obviously worried because you're lacking some space in your dorm. Just don't let people step on them.

w3r1_drums

tbh they're not really taking up space that I don't have, like I said I slid them under my bed. I'm more worried about the force of all the cymbals on top of each other.

actually the real reason I'm worried is that I don't have the money to replace my Ks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Dog new Cans

tbh they're not really taking up space that I don't have, like I said I slid them under my bed. I'm more worried about the force of all the cymbals on top of each other.

actually the real reason I'm worried is that I don't have the money to replace my Ks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If that's all you're worried about, then I wouldn't worry. You can add a layer of something between them if you like. But in that link I provided, A guy stored them the same way you have, for 11 years and had no damage.

Here, take at look at this. https://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/34341-long-term-cymbal-storage

cbphoto

Gold Member
Place a towel or other padding in between. Pierce a hole and thread a bolt big enough to span the stack. Thread on washers & nut to keep them together. Use cymbals felts on the washers.

Last edited:

Peedy

Try putting them in a garment bag and hanging them in the closet. Works pretty dang good. Don't overload the bag, though.

Pete