Sabian's New Logo

..Fine. I'll stop posting on this thread, so it's one less member to say anything negative about their new marketing direction..

Since you wrote a few numbers and words in your previous comment, namely '99,9%' , 'take offense' and 'nobody', the only thing i tried is to put those into a little more objective perspective..

I could not care less if people decide to even write another 100 similar messages, the irony however in my opinion is, that i think they actually make Sabian a favour with that..

I decided to touch base with Sabian customer service through email.

What I was told in response made me feel a little better. It's going to take a while for me to put the Sabians back up on my kit as I come to terms with their, um, notorious new logo/ad "direction", but this will happen.

While I was coming to a decision on Sabian, I scored a few deals on Zildjian and Paiste cymbals that I always wanted to try. I am trying those at my gigs now, and I have to say that I like the redesigned A series a bunch, with the odd 2002, Rude, and even 900 natural cymbals impressing me much. With the A redesign in 2013 or so, Zildjian lost a lot of the clangy, unmusical harshness that drove me (screaming) into the arms of Sabian back in 1986 or so. Zil's QC is still all over the place, though, imo. However, I will definitely check out the new AAXs as they hit the stores.

Still no deal on the logo, though. If I buy a new Sabian, it will be wiped off like it was the H1N1 virus.

It's up to THEM to figure it out. The same rule applies when your friend starts dating the wrong person. It's clearly a mistake that everyone can see, but nothing is going to change until they decide.

I would say that it can't hurt to get in touch with them...in a professional manner.

Dan

I decided to touch base with Sabian customer service through email.

What I was told in response made me feel a little better. It's going to take a while for me to put the Sabians back up on my kit as I come to terms with their, um, notorious new logo/ad "direction", but this will happen.

So, what exactly was their response? I'm incredibly curious.

So, what exactly was their response? I'm incredibly curious.

Because I have no affiliation with the company, I'm not in a position to speak for them and so I won't post what was said.

However, I do think that anyone interested in touching base should do so. You may get some clarity.

Dan

Because I have no affiliation with the company, I'm not in a position to speak for them and so I won't post what was said.

BS

Everyone here and everyone who visits here will understand you are not part of Sabian and will understand the email was from Sabian in a response to your question.

Sabian understands that communication with you may be shared so they chose their words ala a PR release.

Please post a screencap of the email exchange.

BS

Everyone here and everyone who visits here will understand you are not part of Sabian and will understand the email was from Sabian in a response to your question.

Sabian understands that communication with you may be shared so they chose their words ala a PR release.

Please post a screencap of the email exchange.

I've had exchanges w/ drum equipment manufacturers via email and/or phone and some of the subject matter has been about topics other people probably have contacted them about previously.

A couple of these chats resulted in similar experiences I've seen people share. A couple of them definitely were not similar results. Sometimes the individual experience and situation does influence the outcome or exchange of info.

Even if I did a screen capture of the exchange, it would still be very easy for someone to take part of the conversation out of context and try to make a unilateral statement, false expectation, or otherwise unfair presumption about a company.

Sometimes discretion and understanding is needed in which conversations/experiences to share and which ones may be more unique. There's nothing wrong in sharing a general experience w/o going into detail.

I'm about to buy my first pro level cymbal, (16" Medium Thin AA Crash) and now I'm going to wait until I know I can get one with the new logo on it. My plan is to eventually have two AA crash cymbals, an AA ride and some AA hi-hats, all with the new logo. The logo change and marketing change is making me a bigger Sabian fan, because I feel they are looking to the future as much as holding onto the past.

I'm about to buy my first pro level cymbal, (16" Medium Thin AA Crash) and now I'm going to wait until I know I can get one with the new logo on it. My plan is to eventually have two AA crash cymbals, an AA ride and some AA hi-hats, all with the new logo. The logo change and marketing change is making me a bigger Sabian fan, because I feel they are looking to the future as much as holding onto the past.

We found ONE!!!!

Good for you man, the future is secure!

(Just busting a little....glad you have a cymbal plan, Sabian won't let you down)

I don't like the new logo, but the furor over it has me mystofied!
They make sensational cymbals. Ludwig, and many other manufacturers have featured dud logos for years. For a true drummer, (or anyone passionate about what they do), it's the product, not the logo. ...unless your passion is drinking beer, watching football, and eating fast food (not that there is anything wrong with that, but you probably care a little more about logos).
Hit me! ...and it better be Becks. ;)

Not settled. That’s when there was a realization that the logo change was the tip of the iceberg!

As a side note, there has been bravado in drum advertising for a long time. As society changes and views change, the advertising and such changes with it.

Perhaps some will see Sabian's marketing effort in the same way that people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. felt when Ludwig told them to "scurry like a rat(t) to a dealer." I'm sure some older generation, shaking-his-fist-at-the-kids-on-his-lawn type drummer scoffed at the notion of being compared to vermin.

Images below for your viewing pleasure and reference.

And who the hell is someone to tell me I'm not serious if I don't use (or eat) Zildjian cymbals? ;-)

850010_blotzer_bobby_creem.jpg

c86da94cbcc3d3cf5dfb2cab2c3988ea.jpg

20655882358a06f7d93b648ff17ee3b5.jpg

52613bce73edd9afcd81aab7b729f838.jpg

211d814a076084aa0a47ec7e279953e7.jpg

b5b3ce3ab408fe96c583ff23b408cc7d.jpg

10f680a89a4270f82ef91ab6a56dc5d8.jpg

becda4c734586ce4cd48372bfe38f45c.jpg

4a6ee6c4a66902b59c3119a280dddc66.jpg

Bravado, "rock 'n roll attitude," rebellion, etc. Whatever you want to call it, it's been in music and advertising. Sabian and their marketing company simply put their current spin on it.

4a6ee6c4a66902b59c3119a280dddc66.jpg

Bravado, "rock 'n roll attitude," rebellion, etc. Whatever you want to call it, it's been in music and advertising. Sabian and their marketing company simply put their current spin on it.

You're right. But I remember when that Pearl ad came out. I was disgusted by it. Especially using a young person in it. Maybe most people were not turned off by the ad. But I was. Did I say to myself that I will never buy anything from Pearl because of that ad? No. But I was turned off to a degree that I would not seek them out.

I think that with the exception of the Tommy Lee advert which I also agree is distasteful as well as being confrontational, the other adverts all do what previous posters have suggested an advert should do, they’ve pointed out the benefits of their own product without denigrating others. Tommy Lee’s call to “forget” the rest (if indeed he actually said that) as I’ve already said being the exception.
The Kiss adverts have humour (this is serious music, I’d be just another face in the crowd), the others are all in my eyes selling their benefits but not talking about the opposition, puns and wordplay seem to be the order of the day, basically it’s all very good natured.
All that being said, for the first time in my life I’m looking at Zildjian’s long standing tagline “the only serious choice” and thinking that it’s a bit off. Do they still use it?

As a side note, there has been bravado in drum advertising for a long time. As society changes and views change, the advertising and such changes with it.

Perhaps some will see Sabian's marketing effort in the same way that people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. felt when Ludwig told them to "scurry like a rat(t) to a dealer." I'm sure some older generation, shaking-his-fist-at-the-kids-on-his-lawn type drummer scoffed at the notion of being compared to vermin.

And who the hell is someone to tell me I'm not serious if I don't use (or eat) Zildjian cymbals? ;-)

Those are advertising campaigns, not branding and identity. They are two different things.

+1
I remember about all those ads. I was the target of their ads back then, and while (as mentioned) they didn't "RE-Brand" per se, they absolutely targeted younger generation, and alienated the "grown ups"(read already established players) with those ads.

(and how awesome those power toms look. That was my dream kit. 2 kicks, two deep A$$ toms, and 2 floors.) wow that brought me back. Thanks for the mems.)

...The one thing that Sabian actually has achieved, is that i heard more about them during the past weeks than i have in the 30 years before that..

and THIs ^^^

There is a saying: "There's no such thing as bad publicity"

And it may be a saying for a reason..

T.

The June/July issue of Drumhead Magazine, not yet in my hands, has an article, Sabian...Inside the Re-branding. Should be interesting. Will spill the beans when it gets here.

Back