Sabian's New Logo

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It's just a stock vector image I found. But I love the thought of Chad Smith throwing up at the new logo :)

I think Chad would find that amusing! But the gang at Sabian, not so much.

TK-421

I think Chad would find that amusing! But the gang at Sabian, not so much.

I sincerely hope someone at Sabian reads this entire thread. The reaction to their new logo has been merciless, and for good reason. They need to understand just how hated it is. For some reason, I get the feeling their heads are way too far up their arses to grasp just how bad the reaction has been.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Thinking......(dangerous I know lol)....

Since logos don't really mean anything and we should all get over our hang up about the rebranding....etc.

I may just put some Zildjian logos on my Sabians. That way they would match my other cymbals. I bet if I explained it Zildjian they would gladly send me a stencil.

You know, because all that matters is the sound and all this drama is just that-"drama".....

Ahhh, closure at last!

Yoshinya

For more cringeworthy copy from the rebranding company responsible for all of this mess, check out the 2019 Cymbal & Sound Catalog:

https://sabian.com/pdf/sabian-2019-cymbal-guide.pdf

"HHX is the bomb, they are dark cymbals that cut."

"B8X cymbals are hammered for more projection and complexity than any other B8 - So you'll get noticed on stage. And the O-Zone crashes work in *any* set up - They're that rad."

"SBR Yes, these are brass cymbals. No, they don't suck."

I feel like I need a shower.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I sincerely hope someone at Sabian reads this entire thread. The reaction to their new logo has been merciless, and for good reason. They need to understand just how hated it is. For some reason, I get the feeling their heads are way too far up their arses to grasp just how bad the reaction has been.

I have been hesitant to post this, but this post has inspired me. If they are gonna get upset about anything, here it is. WARNING: once you look at this, it's hard to unsee.

Attachments

• IMG_20190131_233440.jpg
    IMG_20190131_233440.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 212

AzHeat

Platinum Member
At least Satan Unbound makes sense! A cymbal? Almost sounds like there’s a bunch of them dangling from ropes from the ceiling and smashing around in the wind!

Mongrel

Silver Member
For more cringeworthy copy from the rebranding company responsible for all of this mess, check out the 2019 Cymbal & Sound Catalog:

"B8X cymbals are hammered for more projection and complexity than any other B8 - So you'll get noticed on stage. And the O-Zone crashes work in *any* set up - They're that rad."

Where's my acetone? I have three cymbals I need to clean up quick!

I swear madness is sweeping every part of the world. "The Bomb"? Really? I think the phrase "the bomb" went out when I was like 15.

Sorry, Sabian, you guys are way off the reservation.... But I guess that is the problem with things that are "UNBOUND"-they have no boundries...like class or style or dignity.....lol.

TK-421

Sorry, Sabian, you guys are way off the reservation.... But I guess that is the problem with things that are "UNBOUND"-they have no boundries...like class or style or dignity.....lol.

How their new tagline should read.

Attachments

• logo-for-news-release.jpg
    logo-for-news-release.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 215

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I don't know what I despise the most, the logo or the bloody tagline. To tilt a logo is ok, it's dynamic ; though, on a round object it's not nice - but the cymbal symbol is straight, the stupid unpronounceable Unbound is tilted the other way with a different and common font,.... Pfffffff...
It looks messy, prototype. Someone talked about a skateboard brand, that's exactly it. It would perfectly fit on a skateboard or youngster colourful sportswear. But not on a set of sweet Hand Hammered cymbals to play classic rock.

Here is a nice revamped logo :
https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_for_alfa_romeo.php
https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/the_cat_got_peugeots_tongue.php

Last edited:

equipmentdork

I emailed them, using critical but professional language, indicating my embrace of the company and its products but rejecting the logo and ads. The tone was respectful and dare I say thoughtful(unlike their ad campaign). I went through four drafts before I felt like I was expressing myself without going too far. My central question was akin to "Why have you seemingly forsaken us(old guys) who helped put you on the map?"

I mentioned the logo only once. There is really no point in stomping on everything they are trying, though in all honesty I resent having to go through this.

What they say in response will have a huge effect on how I perceive the company. The vitriol from drummers online is overwhelming. If they don't have their ears to the ground and don't take some kind of action soon, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Dan

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member

You forgot - AA "Tight, Controlled, but loud AF when you hit it hard."
Paragon - "Designed by Neil Peart - Need we say more?"

Honestly, that whole thing kind of looks like a high school year book from the 90s, copy included.

Gottliver

It’s cringeworthy, if this was an April 1st gag, i’d say well played. But it’s embarrassing. It’s almost as if they hired a 2nd rate ad agency and reminisced about the good ol days while high like 19yr olds.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
It’s cringeworthy, if this was an April 1st gag, i’d say well played. But it’s embarrassing. It’s almost as if they hired a 2nd rate ad agency and reminisced about the good ol days while high like 19yr olds.
Not as if...they DID hire a 2nd rate ad agency. They promoting themselves is just as bad.

A video of DWs Almond set was posted the other day. JG, like him or not is talking about the history of how the set came about. He’s pandering to emotions and trying to get you to fall in love with the looks and history of the model. Contrast that with Sabian’s new F this, screw that and FU if you don’t understand it campaign and they too are pandering to emotions.

There’s been some arguments for it all being about how they sound and the logo plays no part. I personally don’t think I’m nearly as annoyed by the horrid new logo than I am with the promo campaign. If the logo annoys me, I’ll wipe it off. The ad campaign and assoction with the midle finger campaign is what I can’t live with.

Now, just on the logo alone, we hear with our eyes as much as our ears. A band rocking the house, but zombies visually won’t get the audience as excited as the same band looking like their having fun. To that same argument, most high end restaurants are more about visuals than flavor. Food at a hole in the wall can taste just as good, but you don’t take clients there expecting them to be impressed. You also wouldn’t pay $$$ for a stake presented to you at Denny’s, no matter how good. Associations matter, visuals matter and promotional campaigns matter.

All I can think of is the other half of the Zildjian family has got to be loving this. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they dug in deep and went for a hard core Zildjian legacy and history campaign. Their probably ecstatic about the family split now. Probably wiping their brow with a sigh of relief telling each other, see...we knew he was off his rocker...!

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member

Yes, it is like the Beavis and Butthead agency complete with bad innuendos and puns.

Seriously this thread was started over the logo and while I think it is still bad the advertising and marketing is so much worse.

Not as if...they DID hire a 2nd rate ad agency. They promoting themselves is just as bad.

A video of DWs Almond set was posted the other day. JG, like him or not is talking about the history of how the set came about. He’s pandering to emotions and trying to get you to fall in love with the looks and history of the model. Contrast that with Sabian’s new F this, screw that and FU if you don’t understand it campaign and they too are pandering to emotions.

It is interesting to compare and contrast DW's recent video to Sabian's stuff. Papa John Good sitting down telling a story with some fancy visuals trying to give you goosebumps over the emotionality of these drums. Sabian is doing the same thing but trying to tap in to other emotions with crazy jump cuts, stuttering video footage, and some guy bashing the junk out of the cymbals.

The funny thing is Yamaha with the new Hybrid Oak video seems to tap in to the same crowd and emotion Sabian is trying to, but it in my opinion at least was a lot classier and didn't alienate people in the process. Also, the video didn't make me motion sick in the process with all the bad jump cuts.

Mustion

All I can think of is the other half of the Zildjian family has got to be loving this. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they dug in deep and went for a hard core Zildjian legacy and history campaign.

On the contrary...

(taken from the Zildjian doesn't make metal cymbals thread)

Attachments

• zil.png
    zil.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 172

equipmentdork

It's hard not to think about other, successful ads and taglines, none of which seemed to matter to Sabian, all of which air both pride and confidence:

"The Strongest Name In Drums"
"The Most Famous Name On Drums"
"The Best Reason To Play Drums"
"The Only Serious Choice"
Even "Because Sound Matters"

To this, we add
"Most Don't Get It", which was a bad idea, badly executed.

I think the reason I didn't have to look any of those phrases up is that they are simple, easy to remember, and were boastful without being classless and ignorant.

This, to me, is the situation, boiled down:

Sabian: We're "unbound"! We're unique AF! Most don't get it! We're badass! We're ultraterrestrials!

Longtime customers: Uh, what now?

Sabian: We have a new logo......and a new attitude.

Longtime customers: Um, that's nice. Let's take a look. *logs onto site*
Oh, my God! That logo! It's terrible. I can't imagine that on my kit.

Sabian: We don't, like, ask for permission and stuff.

Longtime customers: Are you being held hostage by 14-year-olds?

Sabian: We're looking out for the next.

Longtime customers: You should probably look out for how badly the logo and ads are being received.

Sabian: We're taking the future.

Longtime customers: *facepalm*.

Dan

Mustion

You forgot - AA "Tight, Controlled, but loud AF when you hit it hard."
Paragon - "Designed by Neil Peart - Need we say more?"

"AF"? Really? Copy by Twitter.

Meanwhile, namechecking Peart -- did they momentarily forget their "they can have the past, we're taking the FUTURE!" ethos?

I just ordered a Sabian from the GC up the road for pickup later (it had a really good price); if it has that stupid-ass logo on it I'm going to return it before I even leave the counter...

Yoshinya

"AF"? Really? Copy by Twitter.

Meanwhile, namechecking Peart -- did they momentarily forget their "they can have the past, we're taking the FUTURE!" ethos?

I just ordered a Sabian from the GC up the road for pickup later (it had a really good price); if it has that stupid-ass logo on it I'm going to return it before I even leave the counter...

If Neil Peart were still an active player and cared about how that new logo looked on his signature line of cymbals, I imagine he'd be displeased... AF.

Keep this in mind when you pick up your cymbal:

If you like the sound of it, you can always pick up a bottle of acetone and a rag to remove the new logo for less than the money you saved on the good price you got on it. Better that, than regretting a great sounding cymbal being "the one that got away" (I've been there before with plenty of other incredible pies for the price).