Sabian's closest sound to New Beat Hi-Hats?

Max99

Hey guys. So I've had my Sabian AA Metal-X Hi hats since I started drumming (and I adored them at that time). I guess my ear has developed or something now, since I just find them wayyy too clangy for my liking (when open anyway).

So I was playing around with some clips on youtube and I decided I love the sound of Zildjian New beats...Thing is I'm seriously pedantic about having one brand on my kit haha.

So basicly, which Sabian Hi-Hat do you, DW, think is closest to that of Zildjian New Beats?

Thanks massively
Max
(Apologies if something similar to this has been done before, I couldn't find it in a quick search!)

Pedantic:

overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching (from dictionary.com)

You really should lighten up and enjoy the cornucopia of sonic choices at your disposal. Think of the poor 3rd world countries where some awesome but dirt poor drummer is hacking away on hollowed out armadillo shells. If he read what you wrote, he's be questioning his maker as to the fairness of everything....

I'd say, buy the New Beats, remove the logo, and apply a Sabian logo. Just don't tell anyone. If it's any consolation, Sabian is an outgrowth of Zildjian in a way. (Same family)

Having to have all of one brand is terribly limiting. Look at it this way. Your drums are one brand, your stands may be another, your cymbals aren't the same brand as your drums, your heads aren't the same brand as your cymbals, and your sticks are still different yet. Then there's the kick pedal and any percussion stuff so you are already all over the map. What's one more brand?

You should really try to shed some pedantic-isms. They are holding you back. Who's the boss here, you or your rules? It will be OK, it's only a brand name. Your ears will be happy, even if it takes your eyes some getting used to.

I would try a lighter pair of AAX Stage Hats, like the older ones (I band I'm playing with has a pair of those and they're really great in every way). I bought a pair of new ones but they were too heavy and clangy. Anyway, those are my favorite Sabian hats.

I also had a pair of AA Regular (Medium) Hats, and while they played really nice, they didn't have a very pronounced foot chick - it was totally lost in the mix with a band.

I'm a New Beat guy so every pair of hats I play get compared to those.

Thing is I'm seriously pedantic about having one brand on my kit haha.

Wash the logos off all of your cymbals so no one can tell the difference. I'm seriously thinking about doing it with my own kit because my set of A Zildjian Armands are being forced to congregate with some lowly Wuhan's and Amicis that match them well sound-wise. No one will know the difference but me. Muhahahaha!

Limiting yourself to one brand is just really not fun (I tried it), leave that to Sabian endorsers who get paid to have their freedoms limited.

Sabian doesn't have a New Beat hi-hat in their lines, Zildjian does. Zildjian New Beats have been a professional standard since the 60's for a reason. Sure, Sabian may have things that are close to it, but why settle? If the New Beat sound is what you're after, get some New Beats! Ultimately, no one else cares what brands are on your set, so long as it sounds good.

Last edited:
Haha, I totally get you Max99.

I'm exactly like you but the other way around, I'm a total Zildjian whore. I know it's stupid but I just would feel uncomfortable with a Sabian or a Paiste in my kit. However, I wouldn't mind that much having a hand-crafted cymbal.. it's like I just don't wnat the Big 3 competing on my drumset, haha.

As for your question, I'm pretty sure that Sabian's most similar hats for the NBs are the AA Regular Hats.

From a marketing view, you could say that the AA's are the A Series, the AAX's are the A Customs, HH's are K's and HHX's are K Customs.

Of course that's not 100% accurate, but I think it's pretty close.

If I were you, I would get the AA's, they're nice hats. (Or you could change everything to Zil's, haha)

Good luck

Why do they all have to be one brand? Is it the logos? Or simply the knowledge of it? A good sound is a good sound, brand be damned. I just don't understand it. Could this be considered mild OCD?

I think there's more to it than just logos.

I've never been one to have all one make on my kit in 30 years of drumming (it's never happened), but I do see that Zildjian and Sabian are somehow fundamentally different. As I've been accumulating a small collection of cymbals, I've been more reluctant to mix Zildjian and Sabian crashes because Zildjians seem so much brighter and Sabians don't sound as good next to them. It's not that I don't like Sabians, because I do, I just prefer them to mix only with themselves since they blend with each other so much better than they do with Zildjians.

But that's just crashes. I don't see that it matters as much with hats and rides.

It's been mentioned before that most people don't mix toms and bass drums from different brands, although mixing snares is common.

I wouldn't mind a complete set of Sabians and another complete set of Zildjians so I wouldn't have to mix them. I'm not rich enough to make that happen though.

From a marketing view, you could say that the AA's are the A Series, the AAX's are the A Customs, HH's are K's and HHX's are K Customs.

You could say that, but as you said that is just from a marketing standpoint. Many people will tell you that AA's and A series are totally different. It's like Coke and Pepsi. They aren't the same thing, but they are market equivalents. If you like Coke, you're going to drink Coke. It doesn't matter that every other soda you like is made by Pepsi Co, you're not going to drink Pepsi just because it's Pepsi Co's Coke equivalent. Why would you get a cymbal that you think just sounds ok over one you love, just for the sake of brand loyalty? I know, it's kind of annoying at first but, you get used to it.

I don't see that it matters as much with hats and rides.

They're are some people who say that Zildjian Hat's and Rides are The Bomb-Da-Bomb, where as Sabian totally dominates Crashes, and vice versa. The point is, that you have to mix with ears, not eyes.

If you go for removing the logos, standard acetone does the trick really well. You can also use it to remove those white logos off of black bass drum heads too. It's basically the stronger version of nail polish remover - so be careful breathing it too.

After you clearly remove the logo, wash the cymbal off with some of that lemon-based citrus cleaner to make it look even. You might like having cymbals with NO logos. That's how it used to be, ya' know!

Of course that's not 100% accurate, but I think it's pretty close.
I've always thought that the Vault V line was Sabian's answer to the A Customs, not the AAXs. The only thing AAX has in common with A Custom is the fine lathing. The tonal characteristics and hammering are waaaay different.

I'm sure i'm not the first to tell you this, but buy with your ears!! not your eyes.

AA medium hats are your best bet but like everyone says, if you can resist the urge for a consistent look you will be happier in the long run. New beats are awesome and really nothing compares if that's the sound you are after. It's really hard I know. I used to be anything Zildjian, but then I heard the HHX Legacy Heavy ride and unfortunately it was THE ride for me and nothing from Zildjian came close (I had been through a lot of them!). Now I mix brands even down to my top and bottom hat.

I think Sabians and Zildjians sound very similar. It's Paiste that stands out to my ear. I use a K custom, an A Custom, and a Sabian AAXplosion as my crashes. Cymbals are the most personal component of the kit, so whatever triggers your trap, it's all good.

The AA Regular hats (I have 5 pair) replaced my New Beats (I still have 9 pair.) But my go to pair are HH Regular hats, which I use for most gigs and sessions in town.

Bermuda

I understand Exactly where your coming from. I have a slight case of OCD and Tend to stick to one brand with my cymbals. Though i own a few different companies when i play live i tend to stick to just my Zildjians and i love my new beats. But im also endorsed by a local music shop who gives Zildjians to me for dirt cheap and its there prefered cymbal so i guess that is a major contributing factor.

I know where the OP is coming from in being rigid in having one brand of cymbals on his kit (I'm that way with Zildjian).

A huge part of a drumset is its visual or aesthetic component, and to some (like me) the cymbals are a huge part of that. I like them to match when possible.

My roommate plays Sabian AAs and I play Zidjian New Beats (both 14 inch, traditional finish). I think the Sabians sound a little brighter and even a little "lighter" but it may be because my New Beats have a bit more gunk on them. So while they might be the "closest" I wouldnt say they are overly close. They both sound awesome though.

Hey guys. So I've had my Sabian AA Metal-X Hi hats since I started drumming (and I adored them at that time). I guess my ear has developed or something now, since I just find them wayyy too clangy for my liking (when open anyway).

So I was playing around with some clips on youtube and I decided I love the sound of Zildjian New beats...Thing is I'm seriously pedantic about having one brand on my kit haha.

So basicly, which Sabian Hi-Hat do you, DW, think is closest to that of Zildjian New Beats?

Thanks massively
Max
(Apologies if something similar to this has been done before, I couldn't find it in a quick search!)
AA regular hats, I love mine. I have new beats as well older ones. But I find the Sabians sound a bit more washy when open for my ears. I use Zildjian rides a 24 A medium or a 20 depending on venue. And a sabian aax 17 crash and Zildjian 17 thin crash and Sabian AA 20 medium thin crash. Be like Charlie Watts, just use what sounds good to you. More options on sound etc mate 🥁👍

Back