SABIANS BEST WASH RIDE CYMBAL?

Dbol

Searching for a new Sabian wash ride cymbal. I currently play a 20 inch Sabian AAX Stage ride which is a medium weight. Great cymbal but cant crash it like I would like to for some applications. Any recommendations? HHX Evolution? Comments will be greatly appreciated.

trickg

Silver Member
I had a 20" AA El Sabor ride for a time - I sold it to fund the purchase of something else and kind of wish I hadn't because it had some aspects I really liked, particularly that it was crashable and had good wash.

At the time I had two rides - an AAX Stage ride, which IMO is a very versatile ride, and the El Sabor. I agree that the AAX Stage ride isn't great when you crash it, and doesn't wash as much as some people like. I liked it because for the kind of music I play, it had a lot of different colors you could get from it, depending where on the bow you play it. In any case, I sold the El Sabor.

I don't think Sabian makes them anymore, but if you can find one, IMO it's worth a look.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I own an AAX Omni, which in my opinion is probably one of the thinnest, crashiest, and washiest rides Sabian makes. it has a great bell and the middle bit has good stick definition, but you can also just wash ride it all day. And the crash actually lines up well with 18-20" crash pitches, so it doesn't sound like crash-crash-bonnnnngggg when you include it in the lineup.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Searching for a new Sabian wash ride cymbal. I currently play a 20 inch Sabian AAX Stage ride which is a medium weight. Great cymbal but cant crash it like I would like to for some applications. Any recommendations? HHX Evolution? Comments will be greatly appreciated.
Do you want something with a lot of wash, or do you just want a ride that is crashable, or do you want something that you can wash ride? Those are all a bit different. Plus are you wanting something bright or dark?

Dbol

Thank you for the replies. Yes the AAX Stage is a very versatile cymbal if you could just crash it a tad bit more it would be my one and only ride. I'll check out the Omni, bash and el sabor for sure. Any recommendations on sizes for them? Been hearing alot about the groove ride and evolution. Just have nowhere to play them were I live. Just going off YouTube videos. Afraid if I go bigger it wont crash as well due to weight then again that's why I'm posting. Keep em coming

Dbol

Ya looking for something crashable equivalent to Zilidjans 21st anniversary ride. Cymbal will be used for alternative music and about it. My Stage ride does well in every other department. Would prefer a bright ride to go w my brilliant stage hats but there also pretty versitale can go w anything along w my 18 and 19 inch AAX Xplosion crasheds which I swear I'll never get rid of. Just amazing perfect crashes

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Ya looking for something crashable equivalent to Zilidjans 21st anniversary ride. Cymbal will be used for alternative music and about it. My Stage ride does well in every other department. Would prefer a bright ride to go w my brilliant stage hats but there also pretty versitale can go w anything along w my 18 and 19 inch AAX Xplosion crasheds which I swear I'll never get rid of. Just amazing perfect crashes
I probably know the answer to this but if you are looking for something similar to, why not just get a Zildjian Anni Ride then?

newoldie

Silver Member
Thank you for the replies. Yes the AAX Stage is a very versatile cymbal if you could just crash it a tad bit more it would be my one and only ride. I'll check out the Omni, bash and el sabor for sure. Any recommendations on sizes for them? Been hearing alot about the groove ride and evolution. Just have nowhere to play them were I live. Just going off YouTube videos. Afraid if I go bigger it wont crash as well due to weight then again that's why I'm posting. Keep em coming

I also had a Stage and liked its ride quality, but it was too hard to crash and open. I've tried many 20-21" cymbals and the 2 that worked best in crashing relatively quickly were an AAX Groove Ride and the Sabian Bash Ride. The Bash Ride has a beautiful ride definition along with the definition and crashes quite well and is very inexpensive (used, as I bought it).

Dbol

I'm that guy whose cymbals all need to be the same make. If I go for the Zilidjan Aniversary ride then I'd have to change all my cymbals to Zilidjan. I believe all manufacturers make great cymbals and all make what I'm looking for. Just need some Sabian guys to help me find what I'm looking for.

Mustion

If it helps, think of the Bash Ride as Sabian's answer to Zildjian's Sweet Ride. In other words, perfect for what you're looking for, probably.

Dbol

What I like to hear. AA bash ride, AA el sabor, AAX omni, HHX Groove and Evolution will be looked into and evaluated.

What I like to hear. AA bash ride, AA el sabor, AAX omni, HHX Groove and Evolution will be looked into and evaluated.
If you are able to do a side by side of these and feed back your observations on this thread that would be really useful for me! I have an hhx groove ride but would be very interested to know how the others compare, especially in the wash ride role.

Cheers!

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I'm that guy whose cymbals all need to be the same make. If I go for the Zilidjan Aniversary ride then I'd have to change all my cymbals to Zilidjan. I believe all manufacturers make great cymbals and all make what I'm looking for. Just need some Sabian guys to help me find what I'm looking for.
I figured that was the reason. I'm kind of the same way too. Anyway this is an old site Sabian made and a lot of stuff on it doesn't work anymore. However, the videos seem to work and it might be good for you to compare some clips at least. Just make sure you listen in HD with good headphones and it should give you a good starting point. http://www.washride.com/

Edit: The 20" AAX Stage Ride is one that they list. So the clips so you could listen to the way their recording of that sounds, and then that could give you a comparison of characteristics to the other rides they have on the site.

newoldie

Silver Member
If you are able to do a side by side of these and feed back your observations on this thread that would be really useful for me! I have an hhx groove ride but would be very interested to know how the others compare, especially in the wash ride role.

Cheers!

I have an AAX Groove Ride (the AAX cousin of the HHX Groove Ride) and to my ears, it's less washy than the Bash Ride. I like using the Groove Ride when a little more definition is needed.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I also have a 22 AAX Omni and love it. The closer to the edge the more wash. It's crashes real good too. Play it in the middle and it's a good ride with good stick def. It has a pretty good bell too. It's my favorite ride. Sold my 60s 20" A, Sabian 20" HH, and 20" AAX ISO crash that I used as a crashable ride. Kept a 20" K and the Omni. Omni is the man.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I have played both the 21" Bash Ride and the 21" El Sabor Ride many times. I prefer the Bash Ride. Peace and goodwill.