Sabian XSR monarch 14" hats

eamesuser

Silver Member
The other day I was in a music store and was checking out the Hi Hats,and played these,really nice,they were priced at 170.00 ish.

They were a little dark,a little dry,little funky,but musical.

There are a good amount of less expensive/ entry and mid level hats out there
IMO,but they are usually on the brighter side sound wise,these would get you
closer to K custom/ HH dark hat territory for a lot less money IMO.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate a nice pair of hats as much as anyone... I have 171 pair! But I always say, save your money on hats (and rides.) Given that the cymbals are typically played while closed or slushy, it's less important that they sound stellar individually. Even dull, budget hats sound pretty good. As for the XSR line, I have a couple of 16" crashes, and they sound great. Actually, they might make a nice pair of hats... :)

Bermuda

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
True dat. I have a pair of Sabian XS-20 Rock hats and an old pair of Sabian Pro hats, and I like them both just as much as the pair of Zildjian New Beat hats that I also have. I'm sure I would be just as happy with some XSR hats too.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
I played those hats just today in a music store (I was looking for a turkish jazz ride but also took a look at the big&uglys plus some HH/HHX/Vanguard Sabians... I just could not resist) and those hats do sound good - but they are quite earthy, dirty in their sound. They might sound nice for some time with certain musisc but I guess that they will annoy you quite soon if you ONLY have those hats. They remind me a bit of those Benny Greb sand-blasted Meinl Byzance cymbals. Too one-dimensional for me, too special sounding. The monarch hats will definitely make a nice 2nd, 3rd hihat, but as a main hihat, I (and I am only speaking for me) would take something different, more musical, more ... conservative?

Whirlwind Drums

The other day I was in a music store and was checking out the Hi Hats,and played these,really nice,they were priced at 170.00 ish.

They were a little dark,a little dry,little funky,but musical.

There are a good amount of less expensive/ entry and mid level hats out there
IMO,but they are usually on the brighter side sound wise,these would get you
closer to K custom/ HH dark hat territory for a lot less money IMO.
Totally agree with you here! These Hi-hats are REALLY damn good for a mid level hi-hat. Sound great in live and recording mixes too

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Hope I am not undercutting any forum rules but I do have a like new pair of these XSR Monarch hats for sale in the classifieds. I used em twice, they indeed are a great value.