Sabian SR2 "Ride"

Drumolator

Platinum Member
For the last several years, I have been using washy rides that can be crashed. For example, my current ride is a Sabian HHX 20 inch Evolution Ride. I also have a Sabian SR2 18 inch "Thin" that can be a crash / ride. Lately I have desired a pingy ride. So have any of you played a Sabian SR2 "Heavy" cymbal as a ride? Maybe an SR2 "Medium" would work for this too. So have any of you played any SR2 as a ride? How did it sound? Thanks. Peace and goodwill.

Superman

Gold Member
Every SR2 sounds different. Some are ok, some are horrible..I've never really heard one that sounds really great. I played a few SR2 rides in my local store and I wasn't impressed. If I were you I'd pick up a 21" AA dry ride and call it a day. That will give you the pingy sound you are looking for and it has a wonderful bell. At least you know what you are getting.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Are they not the ones made form other Cymbals and reprocessed into SR2's??

graysonator

Every SR2 sounds different. Some are ok, some are horrible..I've never really heard one that sounds really great. I played a few SR2 rides in my local store and I wasn't impressed. If I were you I'd pick up a 21" AA dry ride and call it a day. That will give you the pingy sound you are looking for and it has a wonderful bell. At least you know what you are getting.
Get a used HH Raw Bell Dry Ride, it’s a great cymbal with lots of character. I’ve seen some as low as $125.

Bozozoid

Does anyone possibly know which sabian ride Derico Watson is playing on YouTube...the solo clip..not the smaller setting..the auditorium setting. Man..beauty of a crash ride and beautifully unique solo.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Yes, they are the cymbals that are re-lathed and are given a new finish. I used the quotation marks because SR2 cymbals are only named by size and "Thin", " Medium", and "Heavy". I was not trying to be sarcastic. I have two Thin SR2 cymbals and hats (Medium top / Heavy bottom), and I really like them.

Thanks for the responses. Peace and goodwill.

BGDurham

I also endorse putting a little tape on your SR2 to reduce wash before shelling out bucks for a new ride.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
For some reason, I am not too keen on putting tape on my cymbals. I listened to some SR2 20 inch heavy and medium cymbals on Mycymbal.com today. Some of them sounded very good. Peace and goodwill.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm not a tape fan at all either. I think if you want the sound of a heavy, pingy ride, you need a heavy, pingy ride.

For me personally, the used market has so many great examples of heavy ride cymbals I'd always gravitate towards going that route first. There are an awful lot of Sabian's various Rock/Heavy/Dry rides and Zildjian's Ping rides in the used market they're still pretty easy to find for even less money than an SR2...

C.M. Jones

I don't tape rides or doctor them in any way. A washy ride is made for wash; a pingy ride is made for ping. I want my tools to match my objectives.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Well, I decided to take the HHX Evolution Ride back to church because it is more crashable than the AA 21" Bash Ride that is there now. The Bash Ride has better "ping" than the Evolution Ride, so that will satisfy my ride desire. So here is what I will be playing.

All Sabian
21" AA Bash Ride
18" AAX Studio Crash
16" AA Thin Crash
14" SR2 Hats (medium top / heavy bottom)

If I need to use a China, I also have a 16" Wuhan. Peace and goodwill.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
For a minimal setup, I can use the SR2 Thin 18 inch as a crash-ride and my AAX 17 inch Studio Crash and the SR2 Hats. Peace and goodwill.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I was a no tape guy until a few months ago. I made myself out to be a bit of a purist and definitely a snob, at least internally.

All it did was limit my options. I'm glad I overcame that mindset because...what an improvement in stick clarity. When I take the tape off, yea I remember why I put it on in the first place

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
If I were you I'd pick up a 21" AA dry ride and call it a day. That will give you the pingy sound you are looking for and it has a wonderful bell. At least you know what you are getting.
Great call!
I've had mine since 1988 and it's my "go-to" for all things ride.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I had an AAX 20" Dry ride that is at my old church. I prefer the 21" AA Bash Ride. I played the HHX Evolution Ride at church last night, and it was glorious, the right tool for the job. Peace and goodwill.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
If one puts tape on a ride cymbal that is washy, does it take away some of the crashability?

Peace and goodwill.

BGDurham

Maybe very slightly, but the wash reduction is worth any crash drop. But it also depends on where you apply the tape. Near the bell, in the middle, or near the edge all have different effects. And the direction too (along vs across the lathing, for example). Lots of opportunity to experiment. You can find the sound you want (cheaply) and keep it, or go to the shop and find a cymbal that is made with that sound and buy it. There is nothing to lose.

newoldie

Silver Member
In lieu of gaffe tape, I've used a tiny bit of clear Moongel on my 21" Bash Ride to dry it up a little bit. Usually starting near the bell is the least muffling, moving it lower down the cymbal gives more muffling.