Sabian SR2 HHX

braincramp

Gold Member
I just ordered a 18" Sabian SR2 thin that was clearly an HHX its past life big oval hammer marks and a hammered bell..(new for $105) I believe it to be an Xtreme but not 100% sure.. Greenbrier has a ton of these and he puts his best guess to what they were before the re-lathing process..there are some that may have been Artians,HH's along with the HHX I got.. my question is has anyone bought a SR2 that was obviously a HHX and how close is it to a regular HHX?

Sjogras

Silver Member
Based on the youtube vids I've seen, the SR2 concept is pretty much; Take a fully usable, good sounding cymbal. Re lathe it, and whatever they do, until it sounds like crap.

Well, let's hope your experience is different than mine. If it's anywhere near a 18" HHX xtreme, you will be very happy.

Last edited:

Terrence R

Silver Member
So that's what those cymbals are, ehh? I never ever looked into them b4. It does seem real interesting. I wonder if they can thin out heavier crashes in this process as well. I'm not a big fan of heavy crashes, but they might make them decent if they machine them down some b4 relathing.

The Dude's Rug

Brain,

You should enjoy your SR2s. If you go to YouTube, Greenbriar put vids up of the exact cymbals you can buy. I am going to pick up a "20 Thin Ride"(HHX).

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I have a 15" thin that was obviously an HHX in its prior life. It has a unique sound. It still has some of that dry and trashy sound to it but I feel like some of the re-lathing opened up more of a mid-range tone to it. Based on the bell size, I'm almost positive it had been a larger cymbal before, probably around 18", and losing that much diameter also shortened up the decay quite a bit.

For me it works perfectly as a dark and crisp top hi hat cymbal (which is what I wanted it for) but this particular one doesn't quite sound as good as a crash to my ears; the short decay is a little too short.

Overall, I think the SR2's are a mixed bag, which is to be expected I think. I've heard some really good ones and others that didn't do it for me at all. So really they're just like any other cymbal line; don't buy them without listening to them first. I think it's interesting Greenbriar is trying to guess what they had been previously, but I think that can be a bit misleading. Without knowing what Sabian had to do to repair a particular cymbal it's hard to know just how much of the original character was changed in the process.

gaz farrimond

I have a 15" thin that was obviously an HHX in its prior life. It has a unique sound. It still has some of that dry and trashy sound to it but I feel like some of the re-lathing opened up more of a mid-range tone to it. Based on the bell size, I'm almost positive it had been a larger cymbal before, probably around 18", and losing that much diameter also shortened up the decay quite a bit.

For me it works perfectly as a dark and crisp top hi hat cymbal (which is what I wanted it for) but this particular one doesn't quite sound as good as a crash to my ears; the short decay is a little too short.

Overall, I think the SR2's are a mixed bag, which is to be expected I think. I've heard some really good ones and others that didn't do it for me at all. So really they're just like any other cymbal line; don't buy them without listening to them first. I think it's interesting Greenbriar is trying to guess what they had been previously, but I think that can be a bit misleading. Without knowing what Sabian had to do to repair a particular cymbal it's hard to know just how much of the original character was changed in the process.

Thats the common misconception. I've used SR2's since Sabian first had the idea. ( My review from Feb 2010 - http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=2181 ) They are not repaired or factory seconds; they are cymbals that have been used for trade shows, artist returns, tv shows etc. I understand that Sabian are now putting the Sabian name on them because of peoples misconceptions about the SR2's being damaged or seconds.

They are hit & miss as you don't know what you're getting, but I'm more than happy with the ones I have.