Sabian SBR

heey :')

Hey, so I've been using the crash in Meinl HCS for about 3 years or so, I don't have much budget, but my HCS is cracking halfway through, so it's really bad, it's like it's muting itself real bad. So now I have a bit of budget, just the same budget as when I buy the Meinl HCS, I want to try buying Sabian SBR crash because for about 5 years I've just been using HCS (want to try something new). I don't care if they sound the best, if it sounds decent, and have nice built quality, that's the most important to me, so I could play it maybe 3-4 years. I could just buy the HCS crash again, but maybe the Sabian SBR is better, what about your opinions?

Never played both cymbals, but had Paiste 302 cymbals in the bass and those are brass cymbals as well. You could check YouTube for demo videos and listen if the SBR crash is what you want. Get the one that sounds the best. If you can save up a little more i highly suggest getting either Meinl HCS Bronze or Sabian B8. Both are from B8 alloy which is more durable than brass (and sounds better IMO), but that depends all on your budget.

Sabian SBR, Meinl HCS and Paiste 302 are all brass, not bronze. I don't think changing from one companies' lowest line to another companies' lowest line is a particularly good move. Brass cymbals don't sound good and they don't hold up very well either. Even going up to anyone's lowest line of bronze cymbals will be an improvement. I wouldn't keep spending money on more beginner-level cymbals. Save up a little more and get something better.

Never played both cymbals, but had Paiste 302 cymbals in the bass and those are brass cymbals as well. You could check YouTube for demo videos and listen if the SBR crash is what you want. Get the one that sounds the best. If you can save up a little more i highly suggest getting either Meinl HCS Bronze or Sabian B8. Both are from B8 alloy which is more durable than brass (and sounds better IMO), but that depends all on your budget.
Okay I'll check it out

Reactions: iCe
Sabian SBR, Meinl HCS and Paiste 302 are all brass, not bronze. I don't think changing from one companies' lowest line to another companies' lowest line is a particularly good move. Brass cymbals don't sound good and they don't hold up very well either. Even going up to anyone's lowest line of bronze cymbals will be an improvement. I wouldn't keep spending money on more beginner-level cymbals. Save up a little more and get something better.
Found Sabian B8X and Meinl HCS Bronze (new) about $65, I'm gonna think about it

Hey, so I've been using the crash in Meinl HCS for about 3 years or so, I don't have much budget, but my HCS is cracking halfway through, so it's really bad, it's like it's muting itself real bad. So now I have a bit of budget, just the same budget as when I buy the Meinl HCS, I want to try buying Sabian SBR crash because for about 5 years I've just been using HCS (want to try something new). I don't care if they sound the best, if it sounds decent, and have nice built quality, that's the most important to me, so I could play it maybe 3-4 years. I could just buy the HCS crash again, but maybe the Sabian SBR is better, what about your opinions?
Consider Dream cymbals. They're a mid-priced option with a higher-end sound in my opinion. I've had luck buying them online but several others have said their quality is inconsistent from cymbal to cymbal so you ideally want to be able to try before you buy. Sabian XSR would also be another option. In any case, definitely consider shelling out the extra money for something in bronze. You won't regret it in the long run.

Back