Sabian SBR ??

longgun

Gold Member
Does anyone own a Sabian "SBR" cymbal? Unless I misunderstand, they are reworked B20 "pro" level cymbals...........and the prices are amazing.

Just seems too good to be true.........normally you get what you pay for.

Thoughts?

You are confusing the SR2 series with the SBR series. They are not even close.

The SR2 series is what you're thinking of. They are lightly used cymbals (demos, expos, artist clinics, etc.) that are relathed and sold. They are definitely a "try before you buy" sort of cymbal, but the upside is a potentially great cymbal at a much lower cost.

SBR is the complete bottom of Sabian's line; they are spun brass cymbals designed to be sold to little kids and with starter drumkits. A box set of SBRs may not even set you back $150 -- should clue you in on their relative quality.

More info here on SR2: http://www.sabian.com/en/pages/sr2

You are confusing the SR2 series with the SBR series. They are not even close.

The SR2 series is what you're thinking of. They are lightly used cymbals (demos, expos, artist clinics, etc.) that are relathed and sold. They are definitely a "try before you buy" sort of cymbal, but the upside is a potentially great cymbal at a much lower cost.

SBR is the complete bottom of Sabian's line; they are spun brass cymbals designed to be sold to little kids and with starter drumkits. A box set of SBRs may not even set you back $150 -- should clue you in on their relative quality.

More info here on SR2: http://www.sabian.com/en/pages/sr2

Thanks for the clarification..........now I know why it seemed too good to be true............anyone using the SR2's

I haven't played any, but Braincamp opened a thread a couple days ago on his new one. He says it looks like it was refurbished from a HHX crash. He might see this and chime in...

Thanks for the clarification..........now I know why it seemed too good to be true............anyone using the SR2's

I haven't used any yet, no, but I have nosed around a couple at my local shop. They have 15" and 16" thin crashes, and two 20" rides. The 15" crash has a much wider bell than I would normally associate with a crash that side. Both are pretty dark, washy, and quick. The two rides, despite being identical in terms of markings, are quite different, with different pitched bells and one having more evidence of hammering than the other. That ride was quite honestly good enough to buy and use (at $159, a pretty good bargain IMHO). This is why I say, try before you buy... you might have a diamond in the rough if you look carefully enough. Or you could just roll the dice and buy via internet, see what you get, resell, go again...

I bought an SR2 10" splash for $69, and it sounds great. Judging from the size of the bell, I believe it was an HHX. Peace and goodwill.

Back