Sabian Paragon Ride opinions

sillypilot

Hi all Sabian Paragon ride owners. I’m looking for a ride with a nice bell and ping, but that is a bit more musical than the zildjian medium or ping rides. what do you guys like and dislike about the paragon ride?

thanks!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The ping ride always seemed to have too much wash for me. The paragon is an awesome “pingy” ride with a great bell

Agreed, it is very much a ride cymbal... no crashing for those babies!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The Sabian HH Raw Bell Dry Ride is in the Ping Ride ballpark but is very musical. I'm never letting go of mine.

Funny you should mention that one, I swapped my main Paragon 22" ride for an HH Raw Bell 22" ride for touring! I prefer the HH because I can also crash it. The Paragon just wants to be a ride, not that there's anything wrong with that...

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I used to have a 22" RBDR (was that ever a standard offering?) but I've since picked up a Phil Collins signature 21" and it's fantastic too.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If you like it that's all that matters.

My opinion, they are kind of heavy and the crash reflects that.

They aren't my best choice for the music I play, but they may be great for you

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I thought the Phil Collins ride and the RBDR were very similar cymbals? Ive heard somewhere on the internet that the HH version of the RBDR was practically the same as the Collins ride. Is that true?
My ride choice are AAX Metal rides, and they don't make a crash sound that you would want to use or hear.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Yes, the PC ride IS an HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. :)

Obviously, if you own one you probably think they're "cherry picked" examples, but the traditional-finish ones I've heard are all pretty consistent, and consistently good sounding.

s1212z

RBDR 21 came out and then it became ‘Phil’s choice’ if I recall, never a developmental thing he did w/ Sabian. Mine got stolen long ago

iCe

RBDR 21 came out and then it became ‘Phil’s choice’ if I recall, never a developmental thing he did w/ Sabian. Mine got stolen long ago

Yeah that's what i remember too. Not a 'real' signature ride in the way of being custom tailored to specific needs, but just 'i like this one' and slapped the 'Phil's Choice' stamp on it. Found a quick pic of it;

LeftyDoug

Yes, the PC ride IS an HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. :)

Obviously, if you own one you probably think they're "cherry picked" examples, but the traditional-finish ones I've heard are all pretty consistent, and consistently good sounding.

I have one of these in the brilliant finish (the regular HH model not the PC ride). Picked it up used many years ago and much like you I do not have any intentions of ever selling it. The heaviest ride that I own and every time I use it, I find myself smiling. Mine is a 21". Don't know if they all came in that size.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I have one of these in the brilliant finish (the regular HH model not the PC ride). Picked it up used many years ago and much like you I do not have any intentions of ever selling it. The heaviest ride that I own and every time I use it, I find myself smiling. Mine is a 21". Don't know if they all came in that size.

I thought they were only offered in the 21" size...until I found a 22" on eBay.

Yoshinya

Supposedly, there are some 20" RBDRs out there too. I think I'd probably stick with a 21" (I have AA and HH RBDRs in this size) or 22" because I find smaller dry rides just to not have enough presence for what I want from them.

Back to the Paragon - I would consider it somewhere in-between the AA and HH Rock Rides, with quite a bit of its own character. I had a chance to get one for a steal, but at the time felt it to be too similar to my #1 ride (the 22" HH Rock Ride), so I passed. I still regret it! Again, it's got more ping than a Medium Ride, more wash than a Ping Ride and an incredible bell.