Sabian HHX Xtreme Crash

Black Label

Hi. I am new to this forum. I am from Durban, South Africa and have been playing for quite some time, always been quite a loyal Paiste man.

I have however recently taken to the Sabian HHX range of cymbals and currently play a set of HHX Stage hats and a Stage Ride, an 18" Evolution Crash and also an 18" Vault Crash. I mainly play blues / rock music and also play in our church band (quite a big 2000 - 2500 seater with everything micd up).

I am thinking of supplementing my set up with something different. I am not big on china cymbals and normally play a 2 crash set up - one dark and one bright. That I have with my 2 abovementioned crashes (although the Evo is not quite as dark as I would ideally have liked it to be) From the Sabian sites and youtube clips that I have listened to, the 17" HHX Xtreme crash sounds like it could be the perfect supplement (especially the mycymbal.com clip played by Ben White) - nice and dark, slightly trashy but with a nice bite to it.

My problem is that, in South Africa, especially where I live, the music stores are not too well stocked and I often have to rely on sound clips and advice to purchase cymbals (as they have to either be imported specifically or brought in from out of town).

My experience with Sabian (so far) is quite limited and I would appreciate some input as to this cymbal - general experience, music suited to, projection characteristics, general comments and also choice on size and whether it would be suitable to the type of music that I play.

I know that with cymbals it is subjective, listen and buy what you like but, unfortunately, that is not always possible. Hence my question.

Thanks guys and looking forward to your input.

Terrence R

Silver Member
I have a HHX 18" Xtreme crash and its one of my favorites. It's a really loud crash. A couple things though: I found that its not all that dark. It's certainly not bright, but also not dark. Another thing, it's the kind of crash that is made for just crashing on. If u tap it, it still responds like a heavy hit. So it's not the best for riding or crash riding. A great loud crash though.

Sjogras

Silver Member
I have a 19", natural finish. My so far most favourite cymbal, I bought it online, choosing based on sound clips as well, so I guess I got really lucky on this one. Like Terrence said, it opens up with very little power and sounds dark and smooth played lightly, but played harder it's significantly brighter, like a trashy, cutting accent cymbal. Compare this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HuKlizrHY, to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6nn_sAdY7U - Light, as opposed to hard playing.

I personally think it works great not only for crash riding, but riding on the bow as well, on some occasions it just feels right with that soft type of stick character. But that would never work in a large venue, all you'd here out front would be wash.

I can't imagine any situation where it would sound completely out of place, but don't overuse it ;) I wouldn't use it as a main crash, for that I have a 17" HH thin crash. A more classical crash sound I guess, your 18" evo crash probably serves the same purpose. I'd love to have one myself, I think it would work really well with both the HH and the HHX.

Regarding size... I think the 17" may feel quite small, and it's certainly not going to sound dark, especially not to the audience. Perhaps 18" is too small as well, if you're going for dark. I wouldn't mind switching mine for a 20", to be able to get more volume while not losing the dark tone.

To sum it up: I strongly recommend it, 19" or 20".

Embalmer

I have an 18" HHX-Treme crash that cracked and I cut it down to a 17", but it definitely is one of my favorite cymbals. I look forward to hitting it, if that means anything.

Check out this video I shot and you can see me in action hitting it quite a few times:

http://youtu.be/8uun9pQOTFo

Black Label

Thank you guys. Listening to the clips and the recording, I am pretty sure that it is what I am looking for. I do love the 19" and may look out for one of them. My challenge is now to find one over here and the exchange rate is not really doing me any favours :)

I have the 17 and 19 Xtreme crash.

In a rock music context, the 17" Xtreme cymbal decays rather quickly. I tend to go with my 17" Artisan for the louder gigs I play...it's just a preference for me. The Artisan rings out a tad longer, with a dark overtones..perfect for me.

To my ears:
The 17 Xtreme is more trashy than dark. Less "whooof". Quick decay. I like this cymbal but for high volume, it can get lost. Most of the gigs I play, the cymbals aren't mic'ed. I would play it more if I had overheads.

The 19 Xteme has more of a dark whooof than trash. I don't mind using this cymbal for louder gigs. It cuts even tho there is an element of trash.

I think the 17 Xtreme would be a good addition to your set up IMO. It's different and will probably stand out as being different, which is good. If you like trashy, it will work. I don't know the volume level for your gig exactly, but if you are fully mic'ed, you should be good.

I generally dont like bright or clangy sounding cymbals...I go for the dark end of things. If Im playing a loud volume gig, I just use bigger cymbals...I want to retain the dark aspect and still get the projection I need. I mean, let's face it, cymbals are loud no matter what you put up there. I don't necessarily believe they have to "cut through" the music - I believe in "blend" rather than "cut". The cymbals should not be louder than the music you are playing. If you need them to be louder - like a louder accent or wash - then hit them a little harder. I can get all my cymbals pretty freaking loud even though Im not playing the heaviest cymbals out there.

Good luck with your purchase. I am really enjoying playing Sabian cymbals.

jziegler319

I think for a two crash set up, a hhxtreme is not versatile enough. To give my input I think a evolution or hhxplosion, and a legacy or artisan balance each other out really well; bright and clean and dark and more trashy.(keep in mind of course this is depending on the specific model again)

~Ziggy

sciomako

Silver Member
Legacy vs Artisan, they sound very similar to me. Any comment?

I think for a two crash set up, a hhxtreme is not versatile enough. To give my input I think a evolution or hhxplosion, and a legacy or artisan balance each other out really well; bright and clean and dark and more trashy.(keep in mind of course this is depending on the specific model again)

~Ziggy

aouellet

I have the 17 and 19 Xtreme crash.

In a rock music context, the 17" Xtreme cymbal decays rather quickly. I tend to go with my 17" Artisan for the louder gigs I play...it's just a preference for me. The Artisan rings out a tad longer, with a dark overtones..perfect for me.

To my ears:
The 17 Xtreme is more trashy than dark. Less "whooof". Quick decay. I like this cymbal but for high volume, it can get lost. Most of the gigs I play, the cymbals aren't mic'ed. I would play it more if I had overheads.

The 19 Xteme has more of a dark whooof than trash. I don't mind using this cymbal for louder gigs. It cuts even tho there is an element of trash.

I think the 17 Xtreme would be a good addition to your set up IMO. It's different and will probably stand out as being different, which is good. If you like trashy, it will work. I don't know the volume level for your gig exactly, but if you are fully mic'ed, you should be good.

I generally dont like bright or clangy sounding cymbals...I go for the dark end of things. If Im playing a loud volume gig, I just use bigger cymbals...I want to retain the dark aspect and still get the projection I need. I mean, let's face it, cymbals are loud no matter what you put up there. I don't necessarily believe they have to "cut through" the music - I believe in "blend" rather than "cut". The cymbals should not be louder than the music you are playing. If you need them to be louder - like a louder accent or wash - then hit them a little harder. I can get all my cymbals pretty freaking loud even though Im not playing the heaviest cymbals out there.

Good luck with your purchase. I am really enjoying playing Sabian cymbals.
Totaly make sense! Well explain!

Blisco

I only play xtreme's and/or Fierce crashes. Love the darker tonality and the blending of 14/16/18/19 around the kit. These are the only cymbals I've owned that sound like a family. My HH fusion hats are a perfect match and my 20 K Custom Dry is the right ride to compliment my crashes.

The biggest thing for me in an always-live setting is cymbals that speak and get out of the way quickly. These do. Too often, I see a band and the drummer is using "loud" cymbals to cut through. I get it. But the wash over the stage and mix is sometimes painful. The xtremes solved a lot of issues for me and stage volume wash/mic bleed was a big one.

I'll never not play this series. It's been my sound for a long time and I love them.

DrumDoug

I have the 17" and 18" HHXtremes. They are my favorite crashes, but also my least used. They are simply too loud for most of the gigs I do. Every once in a while, I will play a louder gig where I can use them and I fall in love with them every time. I love them so much that I try to use them at a different gig where the volume is lower, and they just overpower everything. I find it interesting how some replies to this thread say they are too loud, and others say they aren't loud enough. I wonder if it's a difference in individual cymbals, or a difference in each drummers idea of a loud gig or soft gig.