Sabian HHX Complex and series revamp

I went by my local drum shop today to pick up a bass drum head and he told me that he had just been sent 3 new HHX crashes, all 18 in. HHX Complex crash, HHX Thin crash, and HHX Medium crash. Coming out next year, they are doing a revamp just like they did for the AAX this year and they're doing the thin/medium/heavy variations. The complex crash was really thin and sounded to me like what Zildjian is trying to do with the K Sweet crashes (kind of dry too). The new HHX models sounded like the AAX ones, so I'm not sure why they made the new AAX sound more like HHX. Didn't care for the thin crash so much but the medium was nice. I had my cymbal bag in the car so I brought in my AAX and HHX X-Plosion crashes (both 18") to compare. The HHX medium goes well with those 2 while the thin and complex models go together well because they are similar. It seems like they're keeping the HHX X-plosion models (he didn't know which other models were staying) and I thought my HHX X-plosion was the most versatile out of those (the medium would be versatile too if it was a little lighter). I hope they keep the HHX X-celerator hats but I'm curious to see which other models stay.

The new HHX models sounded like the AAX ones, so I'm not sure why they made the new AAX sound more like HHX.

That'd be kind of a misstep for Sabian, because once people figure that out, the sales of the HHX line (which has obviously has been a huge winner for Sabian over the years) might drop. That being said, it seems like Sabian is on this strange tear of not exactly caring what their customers think, so I guess it's in line with that.

It seems like they're keeping the HHX X-plosion models (he didn't know which other models were staying) and I thought my HHX X-plosion was the most versatile out of those (the medium would be versatile too if it was a little lighter). I hope they keep the HHX X-celerator hats but I'm curious to see which other models stay.

I'm guessing they'll do what they did with the AAX line - keep the best sellers (Chris Stankee of Sabian mentioned the X-Plosions are Sabian's #1 selling crash a few years ago), redesign the studio/stage/rock/metal models and rename them thin/medium/heavy (as you reported, they've already done that), as well as prune some of the Signature artist-designed models that haven't sold well for years from the line (AAX examples: Virgil Donati's AAX Saturation Crashes, Mike Portnoy's AAX Max Splashes). I'll almost guarantee that the Dave Weckl-designed Evolution and Legacy models will stay, as at least the Evolutions have been enduringly popular since they were introduced.

Did they get rid of the X-Celerator hats during the AAX line revamp? If so, I'd imagine the HHX X-Celerators are also on the chopping block this time.

Last edited:
That'd be kind of a misstep for Sabian, because once people figure that out, the sales of the HHX line (which has obviously has been a huge winner for Sabian over the years) might drop. That being said, it seems like Sabian is on this strange tear of not exactly caring what their customers think, so I guess it's in line with that.

I'm guessing they'll do what they did with the AAX line - keep the best sellers (Chris Stankee of Sabian mentioned the X-Plosions are Sabian's #1 selling crash a few years ago), redesign the studio/stage/rock/metal models and rename them thin/medium/heavy (as you reported, they've already done that), as well as prune some of the Signature artist-designed models that haven't sold well for years from the line (AAX examples: Virgil Donati's AAX Saturation Crashes, Mike Portnoy's AAX Max Splashes). I'll almost guarantee that the Dave Weckl-designed Evolution and Legacy models will stay, as at least the Evolutions have been enduringly popular since they were introduced.

Did they get rid of the X-Celerator hats during the AAX line revamp? If so, I'd imagine the HHX X-Celerators are also on the chopping block this time.
Yeah I was rather unhappy earlier this year when I finally got my hands on some of the new AAX models and played them and heard how dark they are. Not the piercing bright sound that we've all come to expect from AAX. In general it doesn't sound bad and the hammering looks cool but if I'm reaching for an AAX crash or whatever I don't want it to sound dark like that. The new HHX crashes look similar with the hammering and sound similar too. I'm just hoping that they introduce new models as time goes on that bring back that sound but I think NAMM 2020 will be all about the new HHX models.

They still have the X-Celerator hats.

New HHX models are now on Sabian's site and at major retailers.

The new AAX line (especially the larger medium crashes/rides) is absolutely delicious.

That is wisely done by Sabian, they are revamping their 2 best selling series and go toe to toe with the concurrency and that is a win\win way to do it. I have the new AAX line and I love it they are the perfect in between (bright/dark) and I tried the HHXcomplex and they are so amzing, darker but with complexity in it, and cant wait to received my promotional set. Congrats to Sabian!

I saw a Sweetwater vid of the hhx complex. Man these are the best sounding sabians I've ever heard and sabian have never really yanked my crank but these are some next level pies.

They are like the K Dark Thins, nice and warm but they get out of the way in just the right amount of time.

That is wisely done by Sabian, they are revamping their 2 best selling series and go toe to toe with the concurrency and that is a win\win way to do it. I have the new AAX line and I love it they are the perfect in between (bright/dark) and I tried the HHXcomplex and they are so amzing, darker but with complexity in it, and cant wait to received my promotional set. Congrats to Sabian!
How cool is that. I am also waiting for my hhx complex. Please let me know how its sound in comparison with legacy and artisan. Thanks

How cool is that. I am also waiting for my hhx complex. Please let me know how its sound in comparison with legacy and artisan. Thanks
Will do, even though I never tried any Legacy, I have evolution crashes tho, and tried once 18" Artisan crash... I assume it will be right in between, ill keep you posted!

I’ve got the 15/22/22/19 HHX for a couple of weeks now. The Drum Center of Portsmouth was kind enough to ship them to Malaysia. They are absolutely wonderful! Buttery, smooth, blends, not aggressive and very easy to play. The 15 hats specially sits in a wonderful place and returns the stick so it almost plays itself.

Hey guys! Did anyone have a chance to compare the HHX Complex Medium ride and HHX Groove ride? I have a 20" Complex med ride and I love it. What I like is the crash-ability of that ride, but since I play rock, I don't find the bell loud enough, maybe in miced situation it would cut through the mix and it wont be a problem, but still... I was wondering if the Grove ride had more "ping" and more bell definition..." and I know the GR have crash-ability... the purpose is just to avoid ending up with two rides cymbals... thx!

I own both the 22" HHX Complex Med Ride and the 21" HHX Groove Ride.

The Complex is a bit heavier, more ping-y as a result, and the bell is smaller/flatter in profile and less cutting than the Groove's. The Complex does sit very nicely "in the mix" though and does not have too harsh of a ping. I equivocate the Groove Ride to be like a Zildjian K Sweet Ride /K Custom Dark Ride. It is more crashable but has a lighter feel/sonic quality to it. Plenty of people use the Groove in a rock setting including Daniel Adair of Nickelback to give you an idea.

What's going to fit your need the BEST out of the two is probably the Complex Medium if I had to choose one myself. However if you want a third or fourth contender which might fit your needs also try the 21" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride or the 22" HH Medium Ride. Both really good, especially the latest iterations that Sabian has called "remastered". The HH RBDR has the best cutting and musical bell I have ever heard on a ride (no surprise, I own that ride too! lol)

I own both the 22" HHX Complex Med Ride and the 21" HHX Groove Ride.

The Complex is a bit heavier, more ping-y as a result, and the bell is smaller/flatter in profile and less cutting than the Groove's. The Complex does sit very nicely "in the mix" though and does not have too harsh of a ping. I equivocate the Groove Ride to be like a Zildjian K Sweet Ride /K Custom Dark Ride. It is more crashable but has a lighter feel/sonic quality to it. Plenty of people use the Groove in a rock setting including Daniel Adair of Nickelback to give you an idea.

What's going to fit your need the BEST out of the two is probably the Complex Medium if I had to choose one myself. However if you want a third or fourth contender which might fit your needs also try the 21" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride or the 22" HH Medium Ride. Both really good, especially the latest iterations that Sabian has called "remastered". The HH RBDR has the best cutting and musical bell I have ever heard on a ride (no surprise, I own that ride too! lol)
Excellent reply, thx!

Back