Sabian HH Vanguard Ride- one hell of a cymbal

Juniper

Gold Member
For years I’ve been searching for ‘that’ ride cymbal, the one that does it all.

I’ve got a number of rides but they all do something different. They are either washy, dry, heavy, crash-able but I’ve been looking for years for one that does it all. I was beginning to think it was an element of the kit I'd never be 100% satisfied with.

Bought a Sabian HH 21” Vanguard a couple of weeks ago after not being to shake how good it sounded last year when I played it for a few minutes at a noisy trade show and today, finally, came the day when I used it in a band rehearsal situation.

It blew me away. Stickings are woody and defined and the cymbal omits one hell of a dark, smokey, lovely wash. You can really lay into it but it’s controlled at soft-medium hits the same time. The bell isn’t too much, the ride also crashes brilliantly and also although It’s a fairly light cymbal it feels heavier, which is what I was hoping for.

It took me 20 years but I finally found THE ride cymbal to rule them all in my collection. I’ll continue to use my others for purpose/song requirements but this is certainly my ‘go to’ from now on.

Unreal, can’t wait to keep playing this thing. Even the band immediately commented that it sounded lovely.

One hell of a cymbal.

Does anyone play any other cymbals from this line? If so what are your impressions of them?

Last edited:
Sounds nice. I like the HH series rides.
I play a Sabian 21 HH Vintage Ride.
After searching for years through several 20's and 22's cymbals I find the 21 size fits the bill perfectly.

Sounds nice. I like the HH series rides.
I play a Sabian 21 HH Vintage Ride.
After searching for years through several 20's and 22's cymbals I find the 21 size fits the bill perfectly.

Nice

21" is a great inbetween isn't it. Covers all angles, I've never not liked a 21 ride I've played.

I am due for a new ride for my home kit. I really like the 21" diameter. I will be checking those out Jon. Thanks for the heads up.

A ride cymbal that does it all. I didn't know such an animal existed.

Looking them up in 5,4,3,2...

I am due for a new ride for my home kit. I really like the 21" diameter. I will be checking those out Jon. Thanks for the heads up.

A ride cymbal that does it all. I didn't know such an animal existed.

Looking them up in 5,4,3,2...

Nice one, I hope you enjoy Larry.

I should probably add they do it all for me and what I was looking for, I don't think they'd be very suitable for heavy rock/metal players (for example) as a main Ride as it's an explosive but also controlled cymbal.

Although Sabian have purposely not labelled the larger 20, 21 or 22 models 'Rides' as they can be used as crashes also.

Ticks all the boxes for me. I'm head over heels for this thing ; )

I'm head over heels for this thing ; )

Isn't head over heels the normal ho hum state?

Wouldn't it convey your joy more, to state that you are heels over head for that thing?

Sorry for the hijack, but I've been waiting for someone to say this so I can cleverly point out that head over heels isn't anything special :)

That's been troubling me for decades. Thanks for providing me the opportunity to get it off my chest :)

Kind of like putting your best foot forward. That would be awkward unless it's about fencing I guess.

Head over heels simply means that you're a bit of a contortionist.

About the 'do it all' ride.

I think there are many of them.
It's an expensive proposition if you're going to work your way through them by buying them though.

was curious, googled...

And Herbert Lawrence's Contemplative Man, 1771 is the first known citation of 'head over heels': "He gave [him] such a violent involuntary kick in the Face, as drove him Head over Heels." ... The phrase originated in the 14th century as 'heels over head', meaning doing a cartwheel or somersault.

...shared

Good call Larry! Heels over heads indeed.

Last edited:
I really like the Sabian 21" AA Bash Ride. To me it has it all: great tone, great ride sound, good bell, and quite crashable. Of course it also makes a good wash / bash ride. Peace and goodwill.

Back