Sabian B8 Pro 20" Ride Cymbal

Luke F

Hi! I’m new to this forum! I have been playing drums for 3 years and am looking to upgrade my cymbals. I have found somebody selling a second hand Sabian B8 Pro 20” ride and I am interested in buying it, however I can’t find much about them online. Im tempted to buy it anyway, but I figured I’d ask the experts first, I play a lot of rock/grunge music (lots of nirvana!) and I’m not sure if this cymbal would suit my genre. Any advice?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have a 20" Sabian Pro ride. Not exactly the same, but close enough. Its pingy, like super pingy. The cymbal is heavy and does not wash at all. It's pretty much a one trick pony. Hit the bell, ping. Hit the bow, ping. Hit the edge, ping. Throw it down a flight of stairs, ping ping ping ping ping. It's a very pretty, bright, glassy, rather loud ping. There is nothing unpleasant about it at all. But that HAS to be the sound you want, it makes no other sounds regardless of how you hit it.

Mine is a left ride. It is not my main ride by a damn sight. I do really like it however.

Before you buy it, make sure you like how it sounds because that's the only sound its gonna make. How much is the seller asking?

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I bought and used a B8 Pro Ride several years ago in a blues band. Nobody said anything about the sound, and they would have if they did not like it. Peace and goodwill.

JaysonJeanChannel

I had one for almost two years. It did the job. It's a alright ride, but it's not a good crash at all if you're looking for a crashable ride. Very pingy though.

Hewitt2

I really liked the B8 Pro line. They're glassy and bright and sound great in a rock setting. I think the ride cymbal on a lot of Pearl Jam's first album was a B8 Pro...

Not to hijack the thread but this didn’t sit right with me. This is what Dave Krusen said he used on that first album:

For the record, I borrowed a Ludwig maple kit. 22×18, 11×12, 13×14 and a Noble & Cooley 5×14 maple snare. Cymbals were Sabian 20″ AA Heavy Ride, 18″ AA Thin Crash, 18″ HH Thin Crash, 20″ AA China, 13″ AA Regular Hats and a 15″ metal crasher.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Not to hijack the thread but this didn’t sit right with me. This is what Dave Krusen said he used on that first album:

For the record, I borrowed a Ludwig maple kit. 22×18, 11×12, 13×14 and a Noble & Cooley 5×14 maple snare. Cymbals were Sabian 20″ AA Heavy Ride, 18″ AA Thin Crash, 18″ HH Thin Crash, 20″ AA China, 13″ AA Regular Hats and a 15″ metal crasher.

I recall reading the interview and the less-than-professional gear used on some of the tracks was what stuck out to me. Looking it up just now, I think the whole quote of his is helpful...(emphasis mine...)

What was your drum kit set up like? Did it stay consistent from track to track?

Yeah it stayed about the same the whole time. The tracks, “Alive”, “Wash”, “Brother”, “I’ve got a feeling” were all from the demos. That kit used on those songs was my kit at the time; a Tama Swingstar , 22×16, 11×12, 13×14, an old 5×14 Ludwig Supraphonic snare. Pinstripe heads on all the drums but an Ambassador on the snare drum. Sabian 18″ crash, 20″ Zildjian Scimitar Ride, 20″ AA Sabian China and Paiste 14″ 404 Hi-Hats that were cracked. For the record, I borrowed a Ludwig maple kit. 22×18, 11×12, 13×14 and a Noble & Cooley 5×14 maple snare. Cymbals were Sabian 20″ AA Heavy Ride, 18″ AA Thin Crash, 18″ HH Thin Crash, 20″ AA China, 13″ AA Regular Hats and a 15″ metal crasher. White coated Ambassador on kick. CS black dot the snare. We had coated ambassadors on toms, but switched to pinstripes.

So no, not a B8Pro, but a Zildjian Scimitar...even worse, really.

Sonorfan

Hi! I’m new to this forum! I have been playing drums for 3 years and am looking to upgrade my cymbals. I have found somebody selling a second hand Sabian B8 Pro 20” ride and I am interested in buying it, however I can’t find much about them online. Im tempted to buy it anyway, but I figured I’d ask the experts first, I play a lot of rock/grunge music (lots of nirvana!) and I’m not sure if this cymbal would suit my genre. Any advice?
The B8 Pro differers mainly from the original B8 in that it has a high shine finish. It also seems brighter than the original. I'm guessing it's a rework of the B8 metal that changed the sound. I had both and the original was slightly darker. As for Rock it will do the Job unless your a very heavy hitter because the B8 metal has a med long decay. I got rid of mine and went to a Sabian 22in AAX Omni as I wanted a more traditional Jazz sound. That didn't do it so I fooled with a couple of others but finally found a vintage Zil A and I'm happy. But nothing wrong or second tier about the B8 Pro. Many think that B8 metal being lower cost to produce than B20 is inferior.
Well Paiste has been using it for years and their prices are over the moon compared to Sabian. Just don't pay too much used as new ones are in the $200
Canadian range.

Luke F

Hi! Thank you all for such helpful replies! I haven’t yet gone for the cymbal and I will definitely take some time to go through all the recommended spcymbals and pick the right one for me!

Luke F

I have a 20" Sabian Pro ride. Not exactly the same, but close enough. Its pingy, like super pingy. The cymbal is heavy and does not wash at all. It's pretty much a one trick pony. Hit the bell, ping. Hit the bow, ping. Hit the edge, ping. Throw it down a flight of stairs, ping ping ping ping ping. It's a very pretty, bright, glassy, rather loud ping. There is nothing unpleasant about it at all. But that HAS to be the sound you want, it makes no other sounds regardless of how you hit it.

Mine is a left ride. It is not my main ride by a damn sight. I do really like it however.

Before you buy it, make sure you like how it sounds because that's the only sound its gonna make. How much is the seller asking?

@MrInsanePolack, he is asking for €50 (I’m in Ireland)

mikyok

Platinum Member
Have a look at a Zildjian A Rock Ride. Does what it says on the tin. Sabian AA Rock Ride is the same thing. 2002 Heavy ride is a great cymbal. I used one for years.

Heavy rides are a bit out of vogue so you'll get one used for a decent price. The ones I've mentioned are pro level where as the B8 pro is more entry level. I understand you might be on budget though dude.

If you just need a ting and ping ride the B8 pro will be grand

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Glad you're here, man!
I had a 16" B8 for 15 years before anything happened to it. They're great for a quick-decay crash & have a brightness that's either well loved or well hated.
I like them & can get them at a steal if I need that sound.

roncadillac

I look at those like a "poor man's ping ride", meaning if you are looking for a bright pronounced ping, a strong bell, and not much else... They will work just fine. And I don't mean any of that as a negative, buying affordable gear when on a budget is great, buying with your ears is great, and they are very serviceable cymbals if you are looking for a ride to use as a stand alone ride cymbal. I frequently see guys with larger set ups using higher end hats and crashes but a cheaper ride because they just need 'ping' and 'bell'. In my opinion there is no reason to spend $400 on a cymbal that just does 'ping' and 'bell' when you can spend $100 on a cymbal that just does 'ping' and 'bell'. I use ZBT hats, I can afford 'better', I have owned 'better', but I use these because I like the way they sound. Being cheap and abundant is just a bonus.

I'm happy you like your new cymbal!