Sabian Artisan 19" vs HHX Complex 19" crashq

aouellet

Hi I am kind of specific on my thread but I am open to any kind of advise...

I was wondering which cymbal has more sustain and not to harsh for the ears when I crash on...

I have an 18" complex and I find that it's sustain stop a bit too fast to crash on it... But would keep it for accent

I want to replace my 19" evolution crash because I dont really like the high frequencies in it... I bit anoying to the ears... And was thinking replacing it for 19" complex or Artisan

Tell me what you think, thx

The only thing I can add is that I really wanted to like the Artisan line but both the crashes and rides I've tried haven't sounded like I thought they would. The rides and crashes felt stiff under the stick [almost brittle, but not like they'd break] and had some wonky frequencies to my ears. They are dark sounding, darker than your Evol which is what your going for. I guess a little harsh as compared to my other HHX's. Maybe try the legacy line?

BTW, I'd be interested in your 19 Evol if you sell it.

None of my Artisans are "dark" for their size and weight. Especially when compared to an HHX and especially a Legacy. They tend to have a medium-bright attack with a darker undertone and they do sustain for a while. They are also some of the loudest cymbals I have ever played. The 17" Artisan crash is probably the loudest cymbal in my arsenal.

I have not played the HHX Complex crashes. I'm not sure if they are trying to emulate the Legacy line with that crash, but they sound similar, at least in the thin variant.

The only thing I can add is that I really wanted to like the Artisan line but both the crashes and rides I've tried haven't sounded like I thought they would. The rides and crashes felt stiff under the stick [almost brittle, but not like they'd break] and had some wonky frequencies to my ears. They are dark sounding, darker than your Evol which is what your going for. I guess a little harsh as compared to my other HHX's. Maybe try the legacy line?

BTW, I'd be interested in your 19 Evol if you sell it.
Thx man! I hear what you say, I thought of the Lagacy crash also but I thought they wouldnt be loud enough, I might be wrong though, and I wish I am cause they seem to sound beautiful (we play rock/blues... But I like something versatile a bit too) thx man appreciate!

And yeah if I ever sell my Evo it could be complicated since I am from NB Canada...

None of my Artisans are "dark" for their size and weight. Especially when compared to an HHX and especially a Legacy. They tend to have a medium-bright attack with a darker undertone and they do sustain for a while. They are also some of the loudest cymbals I have ever played. The 17" Artisan crash is probably the loudest cymbal in my arsenal.

I have not played the HHX Complex crashes. I'm not sure if they are trying to emulate the Legacy line with that crash, but they sound similar, at least in the thin variant.
Okay thx, and what other crashes do you have, to give an idea? Thx

For the Artisans, I have 16", 17", 19", 20" crashes, a 22" medium ride, a 20" symphonic suspended and 14" hats. I have some HHX Legacy cymbals: 22" heavy ride, 17" crash, I have some HHX crashes, splashes and chinas, HH crashes, AAX crashes, splashes and chinas, AA crashes, blah, blah, blah... :)

For the Artisans, I have 16", 17", 19", 20" crashes, a 22" medium ride, a 20" symphonic suspended and 14" hats. I have some HHX Legacy cymbals: 22" heavy ride, 17" crash, I have some HHX crashes, splashes and chinas, HH crashes, AAX crashes, splashes and chinas, AA crashes, blah, blah, blah... :)
Whoe!!!? Okay stop I am gonna pass out haha! Dream cymbal arsenal! Thx! It gives an idea! Cheers!

Yes, dark and complex undertones, the higher freq's are what sounded "wonky" to me when mixed with the undertones. Yes, they are louder than I expected.

I have a 19” Artisan Crash and an 18” HHX Legscy crash . The 19” Artisan is considerably heavier and takes more effort to get it to open up . I generally use it as a light ride , sustain crash for louder styles . The 18” HHX Legacy crash is very thin and has tons of edge wobble even when tapped . It opens up extremely fast and has a quick sustain .

the New 18” HHX Complex thin crashes are the best crashes Sabian has ever made IMHO . My local shop has had 16”, 18”, 19” and 20” sizes in stock and I loved the 20” thin most , followed closely by the 18” thin .

I have a 19” Artisan Crash and an 18” HHX Legscy crash . The 19” Artisan is considerably heavier and takes more effort to get it to open up . I generally use it as a light ride , sustain crash for louder styles . The 18” HHX Legacy crash is very thin and has tons of edge wobble even when tapped . It opens up extremely fast and has a quick sustain .

the New 18” HHX Complex thin crashes are the best crashes Sabian has ever made IMHO . My local shop has had 16”, 18”, 19” and 20” sizes in stock and I loved the 20” thin most , followed closely by the 18” thin .
Thx man! I like my 18" complex also! I might get an 19" to replace my hhx evolution! Thx for your feed back bud! Cheers!

Back