Sabian AAX Xplosion Crashes ?

evans_69

Silver Member
i love the 2002's aswell, i own a 18" 2002 medium crash and a 20" 2002 crash and they are awesome, a bit harsher than the a customs, but it you want cymbals that cut they are your boys....

Adam8

I really love AAX&HHXplosion crashes, but mine cracked along with my A Custom Projection crashes. I 've recently been using in the A Custom medium crashes and dig the heck out of em'. You don't hear that much about them it seems though.

bamdrummer

Ive got a new testimony to the versatility of these crashes. So the rock band i play in was performing at my high school for an open house event and after we finished, the schools jazz band played a few songs. I am also the drummer for the schools jazz band so to save some set-up time i used a combo of my cymbals and the school's vintage zildjians. (we have some very kind very rich people who make donations to our music program occasionally) Anyway...The band director and most of the rhythm section actually preferred my 16" aaxplosion to the school's cymbals, even for a lighter jazz setting. Not only are they a beast in rock and roll, but they sing in a jazz setting too. Hows THAT for versatility?

Did i mention that I love these crashes?

aaronalwines

Ive got a new testimony to the versatility of these crashes. So the rock band i play in was performing at my high school for an open house event and after we finished, the schools jazz band played a few songs. I am also the drummer for the schools jazz band so to save some set-up time i used a combo of my cymbals and the school's vintage zildjians. (we have some very kind very rich people who make donations to our music program occasionally) Anyway...The band director and most of the rhythm section actually preferred my 16" aaxplosion to the school's cymbals, even for a lighter jazz setting. Not only are they a beast in rock and roll, but they sing in a jazz setting too. Hows THAT for versatility?

Did i mention that I love these crashes?
horay ! go sabian :D

Juniper

Gold Member
Have an 18' AAX Xplosion arriving tomorrow which I got from ebay for £90 in great condition.

Going to use it for live settings along with my 18" Sabian HH Rock Crash, expecting them to compliment each other a lot.

Terrence R

Silver Member
Have an 18' AAX Xplosion arriving tomorrow which I got from ebay for £90 in great condition.

Going to use it for live settings along with my 18" Sabian HH Rock Crash, expecting them to compliment each other a lot.
Wow, u really brought this 4 year old thread back from the dead LOL. I think you'll be happy with the Xplosion. The 18" model is by far my favorite. I ended up trading it for a AAX 18" Stage crash. It's very similar. Same weight. I find the 18" stage crash to be more versatile though. Either way, the AAX Xplosion series is excellent.

evans_69

Silver Member
I have to be honest i hate AAX plosions, i find them dead. I swapped from A customs to aax plosions then back again. I do like the HHX plosions though. This is just my opinion.

JasperGTR

Count me as another AAXplosion fan. I've got 2 of them 16" (to oppose my 16 AAX Stage and Metal crashes), and 14" (for a louder piercing sound than a splash, but not overpowering for everything else - easy to exploit, along with the other reasons a 14" fits). I also have a 17" AAXplosion China... Works well opposite my AA Holy China.

diablopea

Hi. I'm new here.
I've played and loved the AAXplosions (18 and 19) for years. I recently added a 19 AAX Stage crash that I actually prefer. Also recently got a AAX dark crash (17) that is beautiful.

Terrence R

Silver Member
Hi. I'm new here.
I've played and loved the AAXplosions (18 and 19) for years. I recently added a 19 AAX Stage crash that I actually prefer. Also recently got a AAX dark crash (17) that is beautiful.
I too rocked out the AAX Xplosions for a couple years then made the transition to AAX Stage crashes. Seems like they sound similar and have the same characteristics. But the Stage's seem to be a bit more versatile for some reason.

porter

Platinum Member
I liked my 18" AAXplosion but I just couldn't get it to sound nice at lower volumes like my Evolution crash or my Legacy ride. It didn't open up easily, though mine was on the heavy end of the spectrum. I find the Fast version to be too bright and also not great at low volume stuff- I think partially because of Sabian's brilliant finish, but I'm not sure. Just not my taste- I'm a much bigger proponent of dark cymbals :)

JasperGTR

I forgot - I also use them in conjunction with my AAXplosion hi hats. I moved from the AAX Stage hats to those. That bell on the top hat was just too attractive to me. .... couldn't... resist...

Quai34

Hi,
I was going to save for an 18 Meinl Foundry Reserve at 600 CAN$ but just saw a promotion at long and Mac Quade in Canada for 159$ with this cymbal, 18" AAXplosion crash with a 22" Sabian Cumbria bag. It was made for th 30th anniversary of Long Nad Mac Quade so, for the price, knowing that the cumblas is 250 Can$, it a steal I think....'I have a 15" AAXplosion that I love and the two dumb las that I have close to the AAXplosion 18" are a Meinl 19" Byzance traditional and a Meinl Byzance dark crash 17" so, knowing that the AAX is till a bit dark but with a brighter than the two Meinl, it should be a good contrast with them....
Thanks a lot of all the Infos on it.... I will have my 18" cymbals that I was missing in,my arsenal but at a terrific price....

newoldie

Silver Member
I liked my 18" AAXplosion but I just couldn't get it to sound nice at lower volumes like my Evolution crash or my Legacy ride. It didn't open up easily, though mine was on the heavy end of the spectrum. I find the Fast version to be too bright and also not great at low volume stuff- I think partially because of Sabian's brilliant finish, but I'm not sure. Just not my taste- I'm a much bigger proponent of dark cymbals :)
6 year delayed response but this thread was revived and caught my attention.
I had the same experience as Quai with an 18 AAXplosion on the heavier side- it didn't open easily like my other thinner cymbals so I don't use it for smaller, indoor gigs.
But for outdoor loud gigs, its proved to be a winner, cuts through and sounds great in that mix, so I'm glad to have held onto it and probably will continue to keep it for those venues. Buying it on Craigslist at a good price was another reason to not sell it.