Sabian AAX Xplosion Crashes ?

aaronalwines

Ive seen just about everyone from artists, youtube drummers, and people in drum forums with at least some of these crashes. how good are they ? and are they that versatile. what are good sizes

Solaris

Silver Member
I've got an 18" and love it. They open up very easily and have a very 'lush' wash. Awesome for accents and for riding on. I actually prefer them to the HHX-Xplosions - my friend has an 18" HHX and we compared them side by side and the AAX was actually lower in pitch. Though I have a 20" HHX Xplosion and it works really well the 18" AXX.

In conclusion, they are awesome, buy one.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I have the 20" and I really like it. It is low pitched and opens up very easily - and not just for a 20", either. I've had smaller cymbals that were tougher to open than this. I has kind of a roar to it that's really cool. Much easier to play than an A Custom 20" crash (which I tried and returned before settling on this one).

I'm thinking of getting an 18" and a 19" to go with it.

BTW: if I had any complaint about it, it would only be that it could go just a skosh louder. But if I replace my A Customs with AAXplosions, I probably wouldn't notice at all.

Biscuit

I have the 19, 18 and 17" x-plosions on my kit. As you can tell i am a big fan of these cymbals. I totally agree with what Solaris and MikeM had to say about these cymbals. I wouldn't buy one without personally going and testing them for yourself just to see what they sound like in person. I don't think you would be dissapointed in them though.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I have the 19, 18 and 17" x-plosions...
Just out of curiosity, it there a size difference in bells between your 17" and 18"?

On Zildjian's, the bell size on a 17" and smaller is smaller than the bell on the 18" and larger. (I think an A Zildjian 16" Rock Crash is the exception with its larger bell)

I have the 18" one (but cracked) and like it, although I'd like to get rid of it for another HHX crash.
Fat crashing, low tones, mid-fast and powerful, if you're looking for this kind of bright sound, go for it!

Biscuit

Just out of curiosity, it there a size difference in bells between your 17" and 18"?

On Zildjian's, the bell size on a 17" and smaller is smaller than the bell on the 18" and larger. (I think an A Zildjian 16" Rock Crash is the exception with its larger bell)
Personally i can't tell that they are much different in size but it may just be my eyes. lol If there is a difference it's minimal.

aaronalwines

I have the 20" and I really like it. It is low pitched and opens up very easily - and not just for a 20", either. I've had smaller cymbals that were tougher to open than this. I has kind of a roar to it that's really cool. Much easier to play than an A Custom 20" crash (which I tried and returned before settling on this one).

I'm thinking of getting an 18" and a 19" to go with it.

BTW: if I had any complaint about it, it would only be that it could go just a skosh louder. But if I replace my A Customs with AAXplosions, I probably wouldn't notice at all.
what evolution cymbal u got there ? :) heard therye really swel as well how do they compare to the aax crashes

Solaris

Silver Member
From memory I think it's a ride.

I've got an 18" Evo crash and a 10" Evo splash on the way. Awesome cymbal line, so thin and responsive.

MikeM

Platinum Member
what evolution cymbal u got there ? :) heard therye really swel as well how do they compare to the aax crashes
Solaris is right, it's a ride, but I only ever used it for a crash. It didn't work so well as a ride IMO, but it worked really well as a crash, although just a little on the heavy side; I wanted something with some wobble, so I sold it to get the AAXplosion. Actually, now I think that may have been a mistake. Not that I don't like the Xplosion, but I should have figured out another way to pay for it. Oh well

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Put me down for being a huge fan of the AAXplosions. A nice thin cymbal with a fantastic bell that blossoms beautifully and produces a wonderful set of changing frequencies

depending on where and how you strike it. Every cymbal collection should include at least 1 IMO. My 20" even though it is technically a crash, is far and away the best crash/ride I've ever played.

bamdrummer

AAX and HHX are both BEAST crashes. Just beautiful. They shimmer, they have that bite to them, and they're super sensitive. I use em for a light jazz bit and they sound great, then I use em in rock and roll and they just rip through everything. Obviously, don't just take my word for it. Try em out and compare em to some other choices and then make your decision. But imho, these are some great crashes.
Edit: Oh and btw, since they're so, well, explosion-y, the sixteen inch is the smallest i would recommend if your looking for a main crash. The seventeen inch is a more universal option imo but i love my sixteen inch with a passion. It was my first nice cymbal and it has a special place in my heart *single tear with nostalgic smile*

ccsimms

they're good for anything relatively loud and bright. you could use them on lots of styles but i wouldn't reccomend them for some of the more traditional ones like swing and bop.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Funny thing about these cymbals is that as much as I like them, I think the name Xplosion is a little misleading. Sure, they're thin (Sabian's dubbed them "medium-thin") and open up quick, but they're also a bit on the mellow side. Seriously, I have my 20" AAXplosion right next to a 19" A Custom (thin) and an 18" A Custom Projection (medium-thin) and the Zildjians are more explosive in my mind than the AAXplosion. I think this is just due to the Zildjians being a bit brighter and louder. The AAXplosion 20" is quite a bit darker and not quite as loud as a 20" A Custom.

Anyway, FWIW, I'm thinking about phasing out the Zildjians in favor of a couple more AAXs. I'm especially curious about the Stage Crashes...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I love the way mine wobbles and shimmers.. The name mislead me too, it's a really classy sounding cymbal.

evans_69

Silver Member
Funny thing about these cymbals is that as much as I like them, I think the name Xplosion is a little misleading. Sure, they're thin (Sabian's dubbed them "medium-thin") and open up quick, but they're also a bit on the mellow side. Seriously, I have my 20" AAXplosion right next to a 19" A Custom (thin) and an 18" A Custom Projection (medium-thin) and the Zildjians are more explosive in my mind than the AAXplosion. I think this is just due to the Zildjians being a bit brighter and louder. The AAXplosion 20" is quite a bit darker and not quite as loud as a 20" A Custom.

Anyway, FWIW, I'm thinking about phasing out the Zildjians in favor of a couple more AAXs. I'm especially curious about the Stage Crashes...
I owned a couple of aaxplosion crashes, i play rock and swapped them for some a customs. The aaxplosions where to dead sounding not cutting enough... IMO

MikeM

Platinum Member
has anyone tried the aax xplosion fast crashes n how do they compare the regular xplosions
The fast crashes are much thinner (extra-thin vs. medium thin), which makes them quicker to open and quicker to decay. They also won't have as much body as a heavier cymbal will, which to me is a huge drawback.

You can read all about them and see a video of them here.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I owned a couple of aaxplosion crashes, i play rock and swapped them for some a customs. The aaxplosions where to dead sounding not cutting enough... IMO
I definitely think there's a trade-off there. I had an 18" AAXplosion a few years back and sold it after a couple months because I felt the same way - a little dead sounding. I had it mixed with an A Custom and a 2oo2 Crash at the time and they were much brighter and more cutting than the Sabian.

But recently I was looking for bigger crashes (19" and 20") and was disappointed in what I was able to find with Zildjian. They don't do large crashes to my liking as much as Sabian does, even with Sabian's tendency to be deader (or as I'm coming to understand them, "darker"). The Zildjians have a tendency to be harsh and clangy, even shrill, in the larger sizes. I have an A Custom 19" which is cool but it's really thin. One model heavier in that size (Projection Crash) and it's suddenly a manhole cover. I tried a 20" A Custom thinking it would be thin (because it's supposed to be) and it felt like a manhole cover, too.

That's how I ended up revisiting the Xplosions, and I'm glad I did.

The other large crash that I really liked was the 20" Giant Beat. That's a pretty cool cymbal there.