Sabian AAX X-plosions or Zildjian Custom A's?!

DevonWelch

After browsing a bit I think I almost want the A-customs, just a question though, since I already have the 16" crash A custom and that's what the cymbal pack includes, do you think I should just buy everything separately ... and not the crash, and then maybe buy a holly china + stand? do you think that would come to be way more money or just a bit more? Plus I heard the ride of the A-customs is good but not "amazing" like there crash's, i'll stick with there hats but if you guys could recommend a really great ride that's not to expensive which one would it be "Most likely one with good crashability and still great sound" if not, that's okay that ride still sound beautiful to meh!

Last edited:

Terrence R

Silver Member
Well, the whole A custom vs. AAX xplosion is very hard to pick. I currently have the 16", 17", and 18" A custom and I absolutely love them. But, I have had the 18" AAX xplosion but I sold it a while back due to financial issues. I didn't have the 18" A custom when I sold it. I bought the 18 A custom about a month and a half ago brand new. I love it, but, it's not exactly what I expected. It has a larger bell than the 17 and 16" models. I find the 18 AC doesn't have the clarity of the 17 and 16 models, it sound just a pinch trashy. Don't get me wrong, I do love the 18, it's just not what I expected. The 17" AC seems to lack volume compared to the 16 and 18" models.
Now, I find that the AAX xplosions have amazing clarity. One thing that I wasn't a fan of with them , is how horribly loud they are. They seem to over power an unmicced kit.
Keep in mind that the xplosions are medium thin, and the A customs are thin.
I'm buying a used AAX xplosion tomorrow. That may be the best bet for u if you're looking to save money.
If you're looking for a killer sounding ride, I highly recommend the Neil Peart Paragon ride. Words can't describe the sound. And the bell will blow u away.
I recommend buying individual cymbals. It theoretically should cost more, but not if u find some deals on used models. That way, you'll get exactly what u want, without ending up with a ride or hats that u dont like. Just make sure they've been well cared for.

evans_69

Silver Member
I swapped a set of AAX plosion crashes for the A customs and would never ever change back. I found the AAX's very dead tbh..

cky42091

Both great lines. I've owned a few A custom crashes as well as a few AAxplosions crashes, and I liked the AAX more. AAX are more clean and crystally sounding (very bright), whereas the a customs have more of a complex washy sound and tend to be darker. I ended up selling all 3 A customs I've owned, but I still use a 16 AAXplosion (that I bought blind) as my main crash.
One thing to keep in mind with Zildjians is the ridiculous amount of variance there is from one cymbal to the next. Nearly 1/4 of their cymbals are duds (in my experience), so I would advise you test them first.

cky42091

Oh, you are just looking for a ride? Well for crashability, stay clear of the A customs. Go with A series. Medium or sweet, but I prefer the sweet. Armand ride is also nice. You shouldn't have to pay more than $150 for a nice A series ride

DevonWelch

Oh, you are just looking for a ride? Well for crashability, stay clear of the A customs. Go with A series. Medium or sweet, but I prefer the sweet. Armand ride is also nice. You shouldn't have to pay more than $150 for a nice A series ride
The sweet ride sounds great i'd like to get my hands on one of those.