Sabian AAX styles?

opentune

Platinum Member
I owned a used pair of these, got them for only $60. They were VERY heavy, very bright. The top was 1450 g, bottom 1550 g. I sold them soon after buying because they were just not very versatile to my ears - thick, loud - mostly a pure rock hihat. I'm sure they could be played in big band, but not suitable.

I would suggest an older LIGHTER pair of New Beats or AA's for the genres you mention.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
I owned a used pair of these, got them for only $60. They were VERY heavy, very bright. The top was 1450 g, bottom 1550 g. I sold them soon after buying because they were just not very versatile to my ears - thick, loud - mostly a pure rock hihat. I'm sure they could be played in big band, but not suitable.

I would suggest an older LIGHTER pair of New Beats or AA's for the genres you mention.
It sounds like you had two bottom hats. On mycymbal.com, there are a couple pairs and the top hats are around 1000 grams. I've looked into New Beats and AA hi hats, but they just seem kind of generic and boring.

And I guess I wouldn't be doing too much jazz stuff because I play jazz at my school, but mostly rock, funk, and other stuff at home.

porter

Platinum Member
I think they're fine hats with typical weights–they may be slightly shimmering for jazz but it shouldn't be a real issue, especially if you are mostly playing with your foot.

Personally I'd choose something darker, but these should be fine for whatever. I have a pair of Meinl Dark Spectrum hats that are similar weight (~1000g top, ~1500g bottom) and I'd use them for near any genre.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
I think they're fine hats with typical weights–they may be slightly shimmering for jazz but it shouldn't be a real issue, especially if you are mostly playing with your foot.

Personally I'd choose something darker, but these should be fine for whatever. I have a pair of Meinl Dark Spectrum hats that are similar weight (~1000g top, ~1500g bottom) and I'd use them for near any genre.
Wow, those hi hats sound amazing. I think that you've just led me to one of my future pairs. :)

Terrence R

Silver Member
I have a pair of AAX stage hats. Medium top with heavy bottom is how they're discribed on Sabians site. They are bright and seem to be more rock suited. I'm guessing too that New Beats would be closer to what you're after.