Sabian / A&F Ankh Hi-Hat Cymbals Review

Woolwich

Silver Member
I thought they sounded great.....then realised I was listening to the Drum Center Intro.
Being honest I got bored with the video so skipped ahead to listen to sound bites. The first hi hat sounded exactly like the giveaway brass rubbish I got with my first kit in 1982 or thereabouts. The phrase Emperor’s New Clothes springs to mind. If that’s “the sound” someone is after then there’s far cheaper ways of doing it, perhaps some £15 used Paisle 101s is a good starting point.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
When clamped tight I thought the stick articulation was really good. Other than that, no. Reminded me of an out of tune, dead thunder sheet. Or maybe a slow motion car crash.

That square cymbal was gross. It would definitely have a place on my target stand.

Those drums however sound fantastic. They were the stars of the show by a long shot.

mikyok

Platinum Member
The drums sound amazing, the hats sound terrible.

The guys doing the vid were saying in a round about way these hats are about as much use as a glass hammer, but are getting paid to be nice about them.

They would be really awkward to fit in your cymbal bag too.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Every one of them would sound stellar in the music you’d hear in the bars when the original Battle Star Galactica crew would find a civilization they had to investigate.

One Up One Down

They're over-the-top trashy. I don't mind a bit of trash but for me there has to be some lower frequencies in the mix and there are none here. It would be interesting to hear these being used in a suitable way with some suitable music...whatever that would be.

Peedy

Every one of them would sound stellar in the music you’d hear in the bars when the original Battle Star Galactica crew would find a civilization they had to investigate.

Oh Wow. I silent laughed so hard it shook the bed and woke the wife. That has got to rank as one of the the most humorously insightful comments I’ve ever read on the internet. That is worthy of etching on tombstones.

Pete

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I saw the video on Youtube yesterday. I do not like those hats at all. The drums sound good though. Peace and goodwill.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Unbound indeed.

Not a fan. If that's the sound I wanted, I'd probably go to Wuhan for the cost savings.

I found them very mid-rangy and low mid heavy with no real high end sizzle, which is what I personally go for.. They have all the freqs that I would EQ out in abundance lol. They sound like cheap cymbals that everyone here advises newer drummers to avoid. That said, obviously they do their job like any other hi hat set, but it seems like it's a backwards move as far as the masses go.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I can't think of a way these would ever be a necessity for any single song I play, have played, or possibly will play. I'm all about the right tool for the right job, but if I ever have a job that requires something such as this, I don't want it. Too much hipster cymbal trash for my ears.

Best of luck to that cymbal company.

Peedy

The history teacher in me feels compelled to say that you should re-photoshop to include a date when hi-hats actually existed, which hit the market in 1928.

Pete

Soulfinger

I can't think of a way these would ever be a necessity for any single song I play, have played, or possibly will play. I'm all about the right tool for the right job, but if I ever have a job that requires something such as this, I don't want it. Too much hipster cymbal trash for my ears.
Best of luck to that cymbal company.
Very well put. :)
Just watched the video again and can´t help but think that the drummers involved didn´t care for those pies either. It´s clear that these cymbals weren´t intended for straight ahead groove playing but they obviously don´t sound good enough to inspire a different approach.

Besides, you can always put a tambourine, a ching ring, ankle bells or whatever on your existing hi-hats and get a similarly trashy, but inifinitely more musical sound.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I'd want to hear these in person before I sunk $600 into them. They seem like they'd perform well in a hybrid percussion set to me.

Can't see myself using them conventionally though.

Thanks for the video though! It certainly got people talking (almost as much as the Sabian re-brand)

-Jonathan