Sabian 20" AAX Stage Ride or 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride?

BabyBob

Silver Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for a NEW ride to replace my ZBT, yes new unless one could help me find a USED one in Malaysia almost impossible. Anyways, which one should I get? What are your opinions I'm leaning more towards the latter. What if I was going the Zildjian way? Hmmm decisions,decisions...BTW most of the time I play Rock and Heavy Metal(Metallica and A7X) but I need a versatile Ride.

Thanks.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I believe the Stage ride is going to be a bit more versatile than the RBDR. Don't get me wrong, the RBDR is a great ride and would be my personal choice, especially for heavier music, but it has only a very tiny bit of wash, it's almost all ping. So if you need a little bit more "all around" character, try the Stage.

For Zildjian, you could try the A Sweet Ride, the K ride, the K Custom Ride... all great choices.

BabyBob

Silver Member
I believe the Stage ride is going to be a bit more versatile than the RBDR. Don't get me wrong, the RBDR is a great ride and would be my personal choice, especially for heavier music, but it has only a very tiny bit of wash, it's almost all ping. So if you need a little bit more "all around" character, try the Stage.

For Zildjian, you could try the A Sweet Ride, the K ride, the K Custom Ride... all great choices.
Hey thanks for the reply...what does "wash" mean? ??? I'm a newbie on cymbals here .___.

Anyways thank you once again for the suggestions :D

alparrott

Platinum Member
"Wash" refers to the undefined sound spread after the cymbal has been struck. "Ping" is the sharp, definitive sound. A "dry" cymbal like the RBDR is high on ping, low on wash. A "washy" cymbal like the A Sweet Ride is more like riding a crash: a less defined stick impact and more of a roar coming from the edge (these rides tend to be thinner).

MikeM

Platinum Member
You could split the difference and get a 21" AAX Stage Ride. Every one I've heard is not as washy as the 20", but still nowhere near as dry as the RBDR. I have one and it's my favorite ride at the moment.

BabyBob

Silver Member
"Wash" refers to the undefined sound spread after the cymbal has been struck. "Ping" is the sharp, definitive sound. A "dry" cymbal like the RBDR is high on ping, low on wash. A "washy" cymbal like the A Sweet Ride is more like riding a crash: a less defined stick impact and more of a roar coming from the edge (these rides tend to be thinner).
I see, thanks for enlightening me on these terms.

You could split the difference and get a 21" AAX Stage Ride. Every one I've heard is not as washy as the 20", but still nowhere near as dry as the RBDR. I have one and it's my favorite ride at the moment.
Hmmm good Idea. Will contact my local music store then :)