S Hoops Revisited.....a diamond in the rough

Basher

OK, so I swapped my snare batter hoop for an "S" Hoop on batter side. Wow!!!! Love em!!!! Perfect cross-sticks every time,Nice and beefy and most of all...consistent!!!!! So I ordered and just got S Hoops for my tom batters also. Can't wait!!!! I'm also recovering my drums in a curly maple fade. Will post pics, but bottom line, S Hoops are heavy, level, and straight and are a GREAT alternative to basic 2.3 mm hoops and die cast- they are a perfect marriage of them both. Great hoops man!!!!!!
- Basher

Thanks for the info. Been thinking about these for ages for my Black Beauty as I don't like the angle of the hoop flange. Its too steep and gives inconsistent back beats for mere mortals like me.

Anyone tried one on a Ludwig? Will it damage the awesome sound?

I've been using an S-Hoop batter on my Black Beauty and Supra (both 6.5x14) for a few years now and really like them. Considering many drummers put die casts on on their Ludwig snares (moreso on BBs than Supras it seems, but still), I wouldn't worry about any adverse effects on the sound, which is somewhere between standard triple flange and die cast.

While Ludwig triple flange hoops are still 2.3 mm, they're not as tall as what I'll call "standard", so they're a little lighter and come off sounding noticeably thinner than a "regular" 2.3 tf. The extra width of the top flange gives the S-Hoop a little extra mass and structurally makes them a little stiffer, which is where the die cast comparison comes from, but without the heavy muting effect.

I haven't put them on my tom batters, but that's mostly because I'm worried about clip-on mic holders in clubs not attaching securely. If I knew they'd work in every case I'd do it though. Perhaps if I bought my own mic clips that I knew worked and took them to gigs with me ...

My only other thought is that I don't see the benefit to using them on tom or snare resos. I bought the resos for my snare but went back to the stock tf because I didn't see the point and if there's one thing I don't like about them (and this is very minor), it's that it makes the simple act of picking up a drum dicey - you don't notice how much you rely on the hoop for carrying until you pick one up with an S-Hoop!

But yeah, S-Hoops FTW!

Last edited:
and if there's one thing I don't like about them (and this is very minor), it's that it makes the simple act of picking up a drum dicey - you don't notice how much you rely on the hoop for carrying until you pick one up with an S-Hoop!

I always tie rope to my snares. I get some strong braided cord, and tie each end to a lug, or around 2 tension rods. You can pick it up with one finger.

I've been using an S-Hoop batter on my Black Beauty and Supra (both 6.5x14) for a few years now and really like them. Considering many drummers put die casts on on their Ludwig snares (moreso on BBs than Supras it seems, but still), I wouldn't worry about any adverse effects on the sound, which is somewhere between standard triple flange and die cast.

While Ludwig triple flange hoops are still 2.3 mm, they're not as tall as what I'll call "standard", so they're a little lighter and come off sounding noticeably thinner than a "regular" 2.3 tf. The extra width of the top flange gives the S-Hoop a little extra mass and structurally makes them a little stiffer, which is where the die cast comparison comes from, but without the heavy muting effect.

I haven't put them on my tom batters, but that's mostly because I'm worried about clip-on mic holders in clubs not attaching securely. If I knew they'd work in every case I'd do it though. Perhaps if I bought my own mic clips that I knew worked and took them to gigs with me ...

My only other thought is that I don't see the benefit to using them on tom or snare resos. I bought the resos for my snare but went back to the stock tf because I didn't see the point and if there's one thing I don't like about them (and this is very minor), it's that it makes the simple act of picking up a drum dicey - you don't notice how much you rely on the hoop for carrying until you pick one up with an S-Hoop!

But yeah, S-Hoops FTW!

Thanks Mike! Yeah, can't see the point other than snare batter either

I don't see the benefit to using them (S-HOOPS) on tom or snare resos. I bought the resos for my snare but went back to the stock tf because I didn't see the point and if there's one thing I don't like about them (and this is very minor), it's that it makes the simple act of picking up a drum dicey - you don't notice how much you rely on the hoop for carrying until you pick one up with an S-Hoop!

The 'S' in S-HOOP stands for 'safety'...SAFETY HOOPS is what they're called actually.

Their main intent is to protect the bearing edge(s) on wood drums (top and bottom), that's the first reason I use them. If you've ever had a damaged bearing edge and recut job you'll know SHOOPS can easily pay for themselves, they're a no brainer on drums you care about/value.

The rim-shot sound, look etc. that's all after the fact, they were specifically designed as protective hoops.

Regardless, I have them top and bottom on my stave kit. Perfect middle-ground in my opinion. I also have a Ahead COB snare that came with S-Hoops top and bottom, which rock for everything. I just swapped them out with die-cast hoops a couple days ago and I liked it with S-Hoops more.

Sometime, I've gotta try them on my stave snare which currently has Pearl Fat Tone hoops (similar rigidity/weight to the S-Hoops) and hear how those two compare. The Fat Tone hoops are also much more to my preference than the die-cast hoops that were choking that drum a lot before.

Would anybody like an S-Hoop for 7 bucks? I have an 8 lug 14" one that is in great condition. I tried it on my gretsch round badge - not crazy about it.

if you want it, let me know - you pay for shipping.

SOLD............................

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they made 12 luggers for my Coliseums. I've got them on all my other snares. I'm an all rimshots guy and they sound great. They save me a fortune in sticks too.

I always tie rope to my snares. I get some strong braided cord, and tie each end to a lug, or around 2 tension rods. You can pick it up with one finger.
At first I thought you were kidding, but then I got to thinking ... you were kidding, right? :)

The 'S' in S-HOOP stands for 'safety'...SAFETY HOOPS is what they're called actually.

Their main intent is to protect the bearing edge(s) on wood drums (top and bottom), that's the first reason I use them. If you've ever had a damaged bearing edge and recut job you'll know SHOOPS can easily pay for themselves, they're a no brainer on drums you care about/value.

The rim-shot sound, look etc. that's all after the fact, they were specifically designed as protective hoops.
I'm aware of what the letters stand for, and they may have been 'designed' for protecting the bearing edge - or that may just have been their primary marketing angle.

In over 30 years of drumming, often misfiring out toward the edge of the head, and schlepping drums around without cases, I have never once damaged a bearing edge, so that justification for using them seems a little dubious to me. But to be fair, my edges are cut all the way out to the outer shell (no counter cut) so it's hard to picture any threats getting out that far without being deliberate.

I see it the other way around - their primary benefit is in the sound and playability. Any extra protection to the bearing edge is just icing.

Would anybody like an S-Hoop for 7 bucks? I have an 8 lug 14" one that is in great condition. I tried it on my gretsch round badge - not crazy about it.

if you want it, let me know - you pay for shipping.

SOLD........................

In over 30 years of drumming, often misfiring out toward the edge of the head, and schlepping drums around without cases, I have never once damaged a bearing edge, so that justification for using them seems a little dubious to me.

Yeah, its not you you have to worry about then, its the person/people you let sit in on your drums, and/or rental/loan calls. A bearing edge could be whacked and not be discovered till whenever the heads are off again... and then again when its noticed, waaaay to long to place blame.

So and so did it, maybe I did, who knows, S-HOOPS eliminate the problem. If you're the only person who'll ever touch your prized drums in their lifetime, you may get lucky and not damage them yourself, but its hard to imagine that scenario unless its a cloistered, off limits existence for the kit.

I see it the other way around - their primary benefit is in the sound and playability. Any extra protection to the bearing edge is just icing.

BIG BANG will love that train of thought, they won't argue. Personally I don't care for the rim shot sound on S-HOOPS, too muted. I get a much sharper, louder rim shot and cross stick sound with conventional profile rims. I welcome the rigidity, but the main reason I fit them on a kit is for bearing edge protection. I occasionally let others play and sit in on my kits, so Im very careful conscious with my stuff, but who knows, it could have been me.

Stick hits, tuning hits, stacking, setting up, cartage, with SAFETY HOOPS there's no worries.

Back