Russ Miller Groove Wedge Or Similar?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Those are hard to come by. Every so often one will pop up on reverb. I looked at some pictures and if you're handy you could probably throw one together from shell scraps. I may do that this weekend while I'm doing some other projects.

PHIL2016

I’m not very handy at all, with the prices on the ones at Reverb being so high, I might just have to abort my quest.

M

MasterBlaster

Brother, just ignore the price and buy it. Life's too short to not get the stuff you want. It's not that pricy - I'm sure it's something you'll have for the rest of your life.

You'll never regret the purchase... buy some ramen orrrrr something for a while.

PHIL2016

Brother, just ignore the price and buy it. Life's too short to not get the stuff you want. It's not that pricy - I'm sure it's something you'll have for the rest of your life.

You'll never regret the purchase... buy some ramen orrrrr something for a while.
$150-250 is way outrageous, I'd have to take a small loan out to get it!

M

MasterBlaster

TBH, I made that reply only after googling it and finding a sold out one in a catalog for less than 15 bucks. 100 was mentioned and I'd have no problem going with that BUT when I looked further and saw the REAL prices...

Well, I've changed my mind! Piss on those crazy prices!!!

Why were they ever discontinued if they seemed to be so popular???

microkit

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Buy a small wood block, or a Pearl plastic "wood block" or buy an old drum shell and cut a hunk out of it.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Hoop knocker thing:

https://reverb.com/item/918461-b-a-d-knocker-hoops-14-8-lug

Other brand on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hecho-a-Mano-Cereza-Redoblante-Groove-Cuna-/273114555787?_ul=BO&nma=true&si=6XuxiXbEIFlo60e2%2B8wf5XCuRds%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

GMS made one as well. I wouldn't pay anything near what the old Yamahas are asking. I plan to make my own bass drum chop block, and have pretty much given up on a knocker for snare. Good luck!
I have 2 of those BAD knocker hoops. Great hoops.

As for the Russ Miller blocks, you could build probably 20 or 30 of them with a couple 15 and 16" shells and sell them for $35 each. It would probably cost ~$200 in parts plus some labor to chop up the shells and glue them all together.

If there were enough people interested, I would be willing to build them, but Yamaha would probably sue for patient infringement.

Last edited:

mike d

Silver Member
Anyone have a link to a sound clip with/without? I'm having a hard time imagining the value.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Holy! I got me a gold mine of these things then - I have three of the regular groove wedge, a jingle wedge and a cascara wedge. There is one more I don't have though - the jingle cascara one.

I use them all regularly. Especially nice on smaller snares like a 12 or 13".

PHIL2016

That's what I need it for, I have a 10" popcorn snare and a 13" piccolo, those wedges make it easy to get a good, hearty woodblock type cross stick sound.
on a 14" snare, its a waste because its easy to get a solid cross stick sound.