Running Tracks/Midi signals simultaneously off SPD-SX Pad

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Hey guys!

My band is in the process of getting our live show ready for a euro tour this spring, and so I've been putting together a backing track system and I had a question about the SPD-SX. Basically we want to run a simple light show through use of a DMX converter/MIDI Track in Ableton Live but I want to know if I can simultaneously use my SPD-SX as the controller for ableton as well as use it as the module for the triggers & the playback system for the backing tracks.

I know a more straight-forward setup would be to just run the backing tracks off Ableton too and use a TM-2 for the trigger samples, but I want something more stable than a laptop (I've had issues in the past) and since I don't own a TM-2 it makes more sense to continue using the module I currently own.

So yeah, basically can I have both the midi lighting sequence start at the same time as the backing tracks?

Hope this makes sense.

-Jonathan

When you hit a pad you send a MIDI note out the back, so, yeah, why not.

Thanks, I guess I'll try it out once I get a MIDI converter for my laptop. Would you have any recommendations?

-Jonathan

Don't need one. Just use a USB cable.

I tried this a couple years ago, failed and finally went to a computer. Probably operator error :)

I know that doesn't help but, if you succeed, maybe you could update this post with anything you learned??

Thanks

Back