Rubber for Bottom of Bass Drum Pedal

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
My old DW 5000 single pedal had a ribbed rubber on the bottom, and the Pearl Redline Eliminator has a smooth rubber on the bottom. Both of these rubber bottoms prevent slippage of the pedals well.

Unfortunately, my DW 5002 came with velcro, which is a real PITA, not to mention ruins carpet. Surely, one, or more, of you has found some sort of rubber to replace that velcro with, and I am hoping you're willing to share what you used and where you got it.

Thanks in advance.

You can buy rubber feet at hardware stores. They come in all different sizes, and are normally used on chairs, tables, entertainment centers, etc., to prevent scratches on wood floors. You can also buy sheets of rubber and double sided tape there too.

Or you could be the guinnea pig and try some Flex Seal on your pedal (hint hint).

It's that expensive?....I had no idea.

Yep. The quart and half gallon are $20 and $40 respectively. They sure are proud of that stuff.

A small roll up silicone mat might work too. Just put it under the pedal.

So I just looked under my Pearl pedals, and neither slave nor main has a rubber bottom. Both metal. The carpet underneath is crushed to death and has holes from the spurs. Oops. Good thing it's my house I guess.

You can buy rubber feet at hardware stores. They come in all different sizes, and are normally used on chairs, tables, entertainment centers, etc., to prevent scratches on wood floors. You can also buy sheets of rubber and double sided tape there too.

Or you could be the guinnea pig and try some Flex Seal on your pedal (hint hint).
DO THE FLEX SEAL!

So I just looked under my Pearl pedals, and neither slave nor main has a rubber bottom. Both metal. The carpet underneath is crushed to death and has holes from the spurs. Oops. Good thing it's my house I guess.

You need to get some extreme velcro. My Axis pedals has it and they don't move at all, and it makes it difficult to get them off the carpet. I can put the pedals on the wall of my studio, it has carpeted walls, and hang from one of them. It's that strong.
I've put some on my remote hat pedal and it doesn't move anywhere.

Hey MrLeadFoot. You can go to a hardware store and ask for industrial velcro. Now purchase a piece of thin rubber that won't mark the floor and stick one side of the velcro on your pedal and the other to the rubber. Also ask about industrial material and do the velcro thing.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think I've ever come across rubber sheets at Home Depot or Lowe's. I wonder what department that would be in.

And, like I said in my original post, velcro is not good. While it works to keep a pedal firmly planted, it would certainly ruin someone else's carpet at a casual private party gig at someone's house. I always bring my own drum rug to gigs, anyway, but I am tired of how velcro sticks to, and ruins, whatever it sticks to.

Rubber, on the other hand, comes in many flavors. The smooth, shiny stuff would be useless on carpet. The ribbed stuff that came with the original DW pedals worked well, as does that more porous (finely porous) rubber on the new Redline Eliminators.

I just thought that by now someone had already found a source a type of rubber that would work for this purpose.

Flexseal sounds like a possibility, but it might be a bit of a challenge to build it up with layers so that it essentially becomes a rubber pad. I'll have to research that.

Flexseal sounds like a possibility, but it might be a bit of a challenge to build it up with layers so that it essentially becomes a rubber pad. I'll have to research that.
Do like the guy on TV and pour it into a small pan. Then when dry, take it out, cut it to size, Put a thin layer of Flex Seal on your cut out and apply it to bottom of pedal to dry. The pieces that are left from the cut out can be used as washers or gaskets on other projects. All this sounds good on paper (screen) eh?

Has anyone actually made a sheet of rubber with Flexseal, or are guys chomping at the bit for me to do it so you all know what it actually turns out like when poured?

Do like the guy on TV and pour it into a small pan. Then when dry, take it out, cut it to size, Put a thin layer of Flex Seal on your cut out and apply it to bottom of pedal to dry. The pieces that are left from the cut out can be used as washers or gaskets on other projects. All this sounds good on paper (screen) eh?
If it really could turn into a sheet of rubber, I would use adhesive to affix it to the petal plate, cause I don't know if Flexseal would hold up as an adhesive especially to stick to smooth, painted metal.

It's that expensive?....I had no idea.
They have it at Costco so that's an option. There's also that stuff you dip tools into for better grip that probably could be painted on to the bottom of a pedal.
I like the idea of a dip, but I don't think it would hold up to being used on the floor over and over and over, you know what I mean?

How about attaching another piece of velcro to the bottom of your pedal, so that it's underside is exposed the flooring your pedal is placed on? Isn't the underside somewhere in between velcro and rubber in terms of smoothness?

Crazy glue your spent moongels in a few places under the base

How about attaching another piece of velcro to the bottom of your pedal, so that it's underside is exposed the flooring your pedal is placed on? Isn't the underside somewhere in between velcro and rubber in terms of smoothness?
That will make it smooth, which will make it slide around. The point of rubber is to provide some grip so they don't slide.

Back