Roto Tom Mounting

someguy01

Platinum Member
Not sure how they're mounted, couldn't find a better pic.

Attachments

• 4BN3XZTPTxhFrHYwDkKB9E-1200-80.jpg
    4BN3XZTPTxhFrHYwDkKB9E-1200-80.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 27

MntnMan62

Yeah .... that frankenhead assortment is just whatever those came with, when I got 'en off eBay.

I tried Evans Hydraulics on them ..... many years ago. They were OK .... but I went back to Remo CS heads then. That was back in the early 80's. My 1st kit .... made up of Roto Toms. 10, 12, 14, 16, 18. Vistalite kicks and floor toms.

My second venture into Roto Toms was in the late 90's .....

And so I'm on my 3rd fling with them.

That first kit looks like Vinnie Colaiuta's from a drum height and angle perspective. Pretty cool actually. And I think maybe I should go with a 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 set up instead of the 8". The 16 and 18 would be my floor toms though.

wraub

Gold Member
Add me to the "always wanted roto toms" camp... Besides the fact that they're just musically cool imo, the sound of Bruford playing them is ingrained in me, I think.

MntnMan62

Some cool roto kits out there.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

NouveauCliche

Yeah .... that frankenhead assortment is just whatever those came with, when I got 'en off eBay.

I tried Evans Hydraulics on them ..... many years ago. They were OK .... but I went back to Remo CS heads then. That was back in the early 80's. My 1st kit .... made up of Roto Toms. 10, 12, 14, 16, 18. Vistalite kicks and floor toms.

My second venture into Roto Toms was in the late 90's .....

And so I'm on my 3rd fling with them.

I bet that first kit was so fun to play!

Cool man!!!!

wraub

Gold Member
1604516462335.png

1604516480494.png

1604516502981.png

1604516522559.png
1604516536697.png

harryconway

Platinum Member
That first kit looks like Vinnie Colaiuta's from a drum height and angle perspective. Pretty cool actually. And I think maybe I should go with a 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 set up instead of the 8". The 16 and 18 would be my floor toms though.
18's go for some big dollar, now. Last one I saw on eBay went for $425, if I remember correct. I paid $130, for my 16 .... $165, for my 14. That was a while ago.

MntnMan62

18's go for some big dollar, now. Last one I saw on eBay went for $425, if I remember correct. I paid $130, for my 16 .... $165, for my 14. That was a while ago.

Yes. I know. I've been watching them on the e of the Bay.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
That lemon slice kick looks cool and ridiculous. And now I'm very curious as to what a set would look like with Colortones on 'em.

MntnMan62

Some more eye candy ....

I'm liking the second (middle) picture. That set up looks like what I want to put together but with only one kick drum. Could that be 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18? Yeah baby.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I had a set of the standard sizes many moons ago. I bought them based on Nick Mason's use of them on Dark Side of the Moon. Then I saw Alex Van Halen & Louie Bellson's kit that had them in the bigger sizes & REALLY wanted to find those.

Couldn't find them.

I've always loved the idea of instant tuning via twisting the rim idea of those, but like it's been said, they're cumbersome to haul around.

wraub

Gold Member
Hmmmm.... interesting.

;)

Add me to the "always wanted roto toms" camp... Besides the fact that they're just musically cool imo, the sound of Bruford playing them is ingrained in me, I think.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Somehow I found myself in possession of a pair of rototoms while in high school. I loved 'em. Set them up above my hats and would play what I thought were cool sixteenth note fills going between them and the hats while still keeping 2 and 4 on the snare. I don't think I ever bothered setting them up with my college band, other than once, as a joke, which made my lead guitarist--who'd started as a drummer--absolutely giddy with delight. (The singer seemingly not so much.)

A few years back I discovered that the sizes I had--12" and 14"--were a bit unusual, and that the 6", 8" and 10" combo were more common. This surprised me a bit, since I kept mine cranked so high that I felt the smaller trio would be nearly out of range of human hearing. A while later I stumbled upon a set of the 6" and 10" for something like $10, so snapped them up. A bit after that I saw a set of the 6" (again) and 8" for about $20, so I grabbed those. Meaning I now had the 6"-14" (with an extra 6").

I set them up for a bit but found to my surprise that they were too much. They took up too much space and weren't really comfortable to try to incorporate into my playing. I tried ditching the larger ones but even the smaller three were just...I guess I had moved on.

So they sit in a corner now and I look at them every once in a while and they make me smile. Maybe once my ship comes in and I can hire a drum tech to help me set things up Just So I'll figure out how to make 'em work. Probably not, but one never knows.

Here's a shot of most of the family, not actually set up for playing, and in desperate need of new heads.

MyRotos.jpeg

Quai34

Ok, so, I always see Cheaps ones at my store around CAN$ 130 BUT WHEN I look in eBay, they are the "real" rototom and they are more 300/400 US$ for the usual 3 sizes, why?
It seems that one of two max is good as they seems to take a lot of room right? And the sounding them in times from Pink Floyd, they are more the long Balck tube from Tama that are played right?

iCe

Silver Member
Ok, so, I always see Cheaps ones at my store around CAN$ 130 BUT WHEN I look in eBay, they are the "real" rototom and they are more 300/400 US$ for the usual 3 sizes, why?
It seems that one of two max is good as they seems to take a lot of room right? And the sounding them in times from Pink Floyd, they are more the long Balck tube from Tama that are played right?

Remo made the original Roto Toms and are far more sturdy and durable than the cheaper alternatives that are around.
Since Remo doesn't make the 16 and 18" models anymore, those fetch a good price on eBay as well.

The sounds in Time are Roto Toms, not Tama Octobans. It may sound that way due to the reverb and echo, but it has that distinct roto tom sound if you listen closely.

Btw... it's Benny Greb, not "Gregg" in your signature ;)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Remo made the original Roto Toms and are far more sturdy and durable than the cheaper alternatives that are around.
Since Remo doesn't make the 16 and 18" models anymore, those fetch a good price on eBay as well.
Yes ..... and to further expound ..... the chrome on chrome ones were the first model. And go for the most money. Chrome and black followed ..... and used to be cheaper ..... but demand (especially the larger sizes) has now brought them up to almost the chrome/chrome prices. The chrome and grey were the 3rd model.

8, 10, 12, 14, 16 ..... paying for an 18 (last one I saw was $425) ..... that's a heavy lift I just can't justify, just yet.;)

Attachments

• 4 ver. 2 b.jpg
    4 ver. 2 b.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 7