Room Location?

johnwesley

Silver Member
Your photos come up really small on my computer and the zoom isn't working on them. From what I can see, the basement area is not real big, and placement should be in the back of the first picture. However you don't give any idea as to size of the kit. I can see enough in the small photos that the area is not acoustically friendly to drums. It's going to be loud with a lot of reflection off the walls. You might want to enlarge your pics and re-attach so we can get a better idea of dimensions and space.

J-W

Exactly what John said. Under those banners opposite the bar, but that room looks like it's going to be pretty "lively", acoustically. The pics are too small to tell if you have carpet, but I'm assuming that's tile. I would suggest a rug under the kit, and some acoustic panels on the walls. DIY ones can be made relatively inexpensively or you can buy the foam tiles online. I would suggest some on the 3 walls but they don't necessarily need to cover the entire wall.....unless you want the room to look like a recording studio. The DIY panels using Owens Corning 703 and wood frames can be made to look like art on the walls if you want to retain the "bar" look. If you can find beer/alcohol themed printed cloth banners (don't do anything slick like nylon or worse yet, vinyl) you can cover your panels with those. Or if it's in your budget, there are companies that print custom acoustically transparent grill cloth so you could have whatever image you want on them.

Reactions: dnt

dnt

Your photos come up really small on my computer and the zoom isn't working on them. From what I can see, the basement area is not real big, and placement should be in the back of the first picture. However you don't give any idea as to size of the kit. I can see enough in the small photos that the area is not acoustically friendly to drums. It's going to be loud with a lot of reflection off the walls. You might want to enlarge your pics and re-attach so we can get a better idea of dimensions and space.
[/
Sorry. The section of the room shown, including the unseen far side of the bar, is approximately 17’ wide by 23’ deep. There is more to the basement off frame, separated from the bar area by the one partial wall.

dnt

Exactly what John said. Under those banners opposite the bar, but that room looks like it's going to be pretty "lively", acoustically. The pics are too small to tell if you have carpet, but I'm assuming that's tile. I would suggest a rug under the kit, and some acoustic panels on the walls. DIY ones can be made relatively inexpensively or you can buy the foam tiles online. I would suggest some on the 3 walls but they don't necessarily need to cover the entire wall.....unless you want the room to look like a recording studio. The DIY panels using Owens Corning 703 and wood frames can be made to look like art on the walls if you want to retain the "bar" look. If you can find beer/alcohol themed printed cloth banners (don't do anything slick like nylon or worse yet, vinyl) you can cover your panels with those. Or if it's in your budget, there are companies that print custom acoustically transparent grill cloth so you could have whatever image you want on them.
Yep, stone tile. And I’ve already got a rug for underneath. I was thinking about some acoustic panels, just unsure about placement. Thanks for the suggestions!

Ghostin one

Congratulations, the Renown is awesome. I don't know about where to put them, but I doubt it makes a huge difference.

But having a new set, you may want to allow plenty of room to adjust tom positions, tune or change heads, etc. I found myself trying a lot of different setups when I got a new set.

Lately I have moved my drums (just turned the set around, really) so that the seat is readily accessible, rather than set up so the drums/drummer are facing the room. It tempts me to play it much more often this way.

thebarak

I have all sorts of foam tiles, acoustic panels, bass traps etc., but it is the shag rugs that have the most effect. I would just get the biggest thickest shaggiest rug for the most effect in that room. Then while the kit is new and you need to get all around it to fiddle around with things, put it right in the center of the floor for a while.

TK-421

I was wondering the same thing. Where should I put my kit? I need specific answers, like in front of a what speaker in the photo or behind which of the two desks you see here. No generalities please.

images.jpeg

Last edited:

Smoke

Silver Member
What are you trying to achieve (???), mght work into the equation. Otherwise, set them up, see if you like the result, adjust if necessary. It's your house, you know what you like. You're the best judge.

J-W

Yep, stone tile. And I’ve already got a rug for underneath. I was thinking about some acoustic panels, just unsure about placement. Thanks for the suggestions!
Are you turning the room into a "drum room" or is it going to remain a space to entertain and include drums? If it's going to be a dedicated drum room, then you can go wild with acoustic treatment and put them damn near everywhere. If you don't want it to look like a recording studio, I would limit the treatment to the areas above the wainscoting using framed acoustic panels covered in cloth. You'll still get some reflection off of the wainscoting, but that's the sacrifice for aesthetics. You may even consider a "cloud" above the kit, since a lot of sound goes straight up.
As for placement of the drums, the center of the back wall would probably be best since corners can be problematic. However, if that back wall is 17' wide, and you want to keep that table in there, you could offset the drums a bit without cramming them in the corner.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Congratulations on the kit.
Stone tiles – the snare's gonna be like a gunshot down there.
That's what I was thinking. Wood walls too. Might I suggest a nice thick carpet to sit it on, like the trendy Oriental style that are all the rage these days. Maybe a pad under it, to start.

dnt

Are you turning the room into a "drum room" or is it going to remain a space to entertain and include drums? If it's going to be a dedicated drum room, then you can go wild with acoustic treatment and put them damn near everywhere. If you don't want it to look like a recording studio, I would limit the treatment to the areas above the wainscoting using framed acoustic panels covered in cloth. You'll still get some reflection off of the wainscoting, but that's the sacrifice for aesthetics. You may even consider a "cloud" above the kit, since a lot of sound goes straight up.
As for placement of the drums, the center of the back wall would probably be best since corners can be problematic. However, if that back wall is 17' wide, and you want to keep that table in there, you could offset the drums a bit without cramming them in the corner.
It'll still be a bar/guys getaway. My kid has a couple of guitars down there, too, so music room-man cave lol

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I’ve had the best luck with sound when I put the kit in the center of the room with a thick rug underneath. I know it’s always nice to back a set into a corner, but this position can make the best of drums sound horrid IMO.

dnt

Really appreciate the input everyone. Going to mess around today, and see what happens!

dnt

I’ve had the best luck with sound when I put the kit in the center of the room with a thick rug underneath. I know it’s always nice to back a set into a corner, but this position can make the best of drums sound horrid IMO.
Facing toward the banners, or toward the more open end of the room?